OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Trumpet Wood  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Bottomland

Trumpet Wood
« on: January 12, 2022, 09:10:47 AM »
I want to get a call maker to build me a custom trumpet from a piece of wood on the property I hunt as kind of a memorabilia piece.  So I have a couple questions

1.  The property is in Alabama south of Tuscaloosa..... So what type of wood would make a good sounding trumpet?

2.  Who do yall suggest call maker wise to build me the best trumpet possible?  I don't mind waiting a long time to get a good one made.

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Trumpet Wood
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 09:20:29 AM »
If there is any ossage there its as good as you can get.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 09:44:21 AM »
As Mr. Buckner stated, it would be hard to beat Osage. It is getting harder to find a top builder to build custom calls without an established relationship because of the overwhelming popularity trumpets have garnered in the last year from social media. There are guys out there that will do it but also remember the condition of the wood is important.  Many of the builders are going to require a waiting time. Good luck and it will be a cool piece!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Bottomland

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 09:59:13 AM »
Thanks for the information

I know for a fact we have some Osage trees so that will work out perfect.

With that being said..... can anyone comment on  what section of the tree is best to use? Limb or trunk or what?  What characteristics am I looking for the right quality of the actual wood? old tree or young tree?

Is it best to cut some wood out a recently fallen tree or should I cut a fresh one down and use it?

I would assume I need to let it dry.  How long do I need to let it dry for if so?

Thanks for any information

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 10:13:24 AM »
Thanks for the information

I know for a fact we have some Osage trees so that will work out perfect.

With that being said..... can anyone comment on  what section of the tree is best to use? Limb or trunk or what?  What characteristics am I looking for the right quality of the actual wood? old tree or young tree?

Is it best to cut some wood out a recently fallen tree or should I cut a fresh one down and use it?

I would assume I need to let it dry.  How long do I need to let it dry for if so?

Thanks for any information
A fallen tree would be good if the wood is still solid. Cut a piece (1 1/2" square x 8" long, enough for wood lipstop) where there are no knots/limbs, and seal at least both ends. I would air dry it for at least 2 years. Osage will make a great trumpet, best of luck on the project.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline mmclain

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 10:16:49 AM »
The older dead pieces are great.  If they are really old the wood turns darker. 

Offline Bottomland

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 01:23:40 PM »
Can I speed up the drying process somehow?

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 01:50:14 PM »
Kiln Dry it....lol....You can keep it in a humidity controlled room(constant humidity 40-45% helps) with air movement, still going to take a long time.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline uarobert

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 01:53:12 PM »

A kiln will dry the wood much faster.
I'm guessing you don't have one. Not many of us do. Whoever you get to make your calls might have their own, if they process their own lumber.
Other than that, you might check with a local sawmill to see if they would be willing to throw some in a kiln for you while they dry other stuff.
As far as air-drying, it will go much faster indoors. It will also go faster the small the piece is. You just have to leave it big enough for the person to be able to mill what they need out of it.
Really, you're best bet is to find someone to make it and see what they prefer you do.

A far as fallen vs live wood. There really won't be that much difference, unless it has been on the ground long enough to end up cracking, which can easily happen with logs that aren't cut. The darkening referred to only happens to wood closer to the surface and is mostly a result of sunlight exposure. Once the wood is cut, the fresh surfaces will be the lighter color, until they've been exposed to light long enough.

Offline uarobert

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 01:53:49 PM »
Kiln Dry it....lol....You can keep it in a humidity controlled room(constant humidity 40-45% helps) with air movement, still going to take a long time.

Agreed

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 02:31:02 PM »
If there are any fence post on the property there is a god chance its ossage, and you can't get any better than that.

Offline Bottomland

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 03:22:21 PM »
Thanks for the information. 

I guess a easier question would be what moisture content do I need to get the piece to before its ready to be turned?   Buddy of mine has a device that will measure the moisture content of the wood so that will give me a an idea.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 04:36:21 PM »
If I had a trumpet made from my hunting property it would have to be made of genetically engineered pine.  I reckon fat-lighter wouldn't work either... :TooFunny:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 04:50:06 PM »
Many call makers love making calls from wood that means something to the recipient.  Wood from where you hunt is great.  If not Osage, which is a great trumpet wood,  then maybe something that could be stabilized.   The harder the wood the better for a trumpet.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline uarobert

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 04:54:31 PM »
Thanks for the information. 

I guess a easier question would be what moisture content do I need to get the piece to before its ready to be turned?   Buddy of mine has a device that will measure the moisture content of the wood so that will give me a an idea.

6-8%
If your buddy has that tool, is he a woodworker? He might could mill the wood into blanks the size the call maker wants and your drying could be a lot quicker.