OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sling swivel studs on Single Barrel  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Ranger

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Sling swivel studs on Single Barrel
« on: January 11, 2022, 04:54:28 PM »
Anyone have experience adding sling swivel studs into the forearm of a single barrel or double barrel shotgun that has a forearm that pops off by pulling it downward?  Curious if the stud mounted into the forearm at the very end, at the same angle as one on the end of a magazine cap, would be OK being pulled by a sling and not pop the forearm off instead of mounting it on the bottom side which surely would?
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Sling swivel studs on Single Barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 05:00:12 PM »
I’d go with a barrel clamp mount sling stud. I did it on my Browning Cynergy. Works great.
“Solo hunter”

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 05:43:03 PM »
I mounted one on the barrel of an old Sears single shot. Has worked out fine and has never moved. I ordered mine from grovetec I think. Measure the spot you want it to go with calipers. They come in different sizes.

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 01:30:55 AM »
I’d go with a barrel clamp mount sling stud. I did it on my Browning Cynergy. Works great.

I’d try the barrel clamp mount also, I put one on a gun back in 1977, it’s still on it and hasn’t moved.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 07:16:05 AM »
I mounted one on the barrel of an old Sears single shot. Has worked out fine and has never moved. I ordered mine from grovetec I think. Measure the spot you want it to go with calipers. They come in different sizes.

Agreed, get the right size, and it will lock right on. Works great…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline Ranger

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 04:29:56 PM »
Barrel micd at .922. Uncle Mikes say the 12ga size goes up to .900 so I'm still at a loss to do. Afraid they wont get tight enough. Its a Winchester 37A by the way
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 05:25:29 PM »
Barrel micd at .922. Uncle Mikes say the 12ga size goes up to .900 so I'm still at a loss to do. Afraid they wont get tight enough. Its a Winchester 37A by the way

According to your measurements the barrel is .922 and is bigger then the band, it will only go to .900 correct?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 06:34:42 PM by lacire »

Offline Vintage

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 06:07:11 PM »
Should have a small gap that i think would be ok.

Offline Ranger

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 07:22:11 PM »
Correct Lacire

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 10:22:08 PM »
Correct Lacire

I have an Uncle Mikes on a Winchester barrel that measures .800”. The Uncle Mikes web sight shows my set fitting a barrel from .775”-.825”. I just took it off and if I extend the bottom adjustment screw and the top set screw, I can get it out to .940” inside measurement. The problem is the swivel post that holds your sling and goes through the barrel band hole measure’s inside at .310” and it’s not long enough to go through the hole in the barrel band when pushed out to .940” because the bottom of the band where the swivel hole is now at .380” outside. The larger size barrel band should have a bigger circumstance so it still may work since the bottom hole for the swivel post would be kept closer together than the one I have. Bottom line is you’d have to buy it and see. Sorry I couldn’t help you more. Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 11:03:00 PM by lacire »