OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 1187 20 gauge Compact, 21"  (Read 5337 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Remington 1187 20 gauge Compact, 21"
« on: January 09, 2022, 12:36:11 PM »
I found a little shop that has a stash of these brand new, I picked one up for my father for a gift from another shop a few years back and have been looking for another, I always regretted not buying the camo version they used to sell in the 21" barrel, these are Black synthetic but that is ok, I am going to have it drilled and tapped and maybe get it dipped in the near future.

I am going to bite the bullet and add this gun to my collection later this week. I am going to use a mossy oak gun wrap until I send it away to have it dipped,the place I used went big business and only does work for the bigger gun companies like Browning Canada etc. It is too bad as he did outstanding work and a great price.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Remington 1187 20 gauge Compact, 21"
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 12:47:43 PM »
It looks like I will be dropping 3 guns off in the next few weeks to be dipped.

I will be taking the 2 1187's and my 870 20 gauge compact with shurshot, and the extra forend and stock. I am waiting to hear back but It will either be greenleaf, and original bottomland on my 2 guns and "new" bottomland for my fathers 1187 20 gauge. I am waiting to hear back about which he has in stock, and how much. It is within  driving range, 1.5 hrs so Ill save about $80 dollars in shipping costs and that includes gas already. The prices are pretty good for up here, I can't complain. I also am considering the Fred Bear camo.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 06:39:16 PM »
I can get them done in those Mossy oak patterns, I have been looking through all the patterns he has access too, and I actually think I am going to get mine done in two different patterns,something nobody else would have. I like these so far:

-Predator Camo Green Deception (This is what I like for the Stevens 555 20 gauge compact)
-Tiger Stripe Vietnam   ( This is my leading choice for my Rem 870 youth w/shurshot and original stock)
-Fred Bear Camo          ( This is what I am leaning towards for my Hatsan 20 gauge I hand painted)
-MultiCam
-A-tacs ix
-Natural Gear SC2 Green   ( This is my leading choice for my Rem 1187 20 gauge,21")

I am going to think It over and let him know on Friday, I have two other shotguns that I would like to have dipped after this batch, a 20 gauge I hand painted and the stevens 555 20 gauge compact, when I purchase it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 06:52:43 PM by The Heartbreak Kid....... »

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 08:42:30 PM »
I just found this option, this is  Kryptek Obskura Transitional

"Obskura was born out of the vast experience and insight Kryptek gained through the U.S. Army Camo Improvement Effort and development efforts with other Foreign Militaries. In summary, the macro-pattern of Kryptek’s original family of patterns became the micro-pattern for Obskura, and elements inspired by the extensively proven Tiger Stripe Camo became the macro-pattern. For decades, Tiger Stripe has been used extensively in various theaters of operations and is a proven winner in military tests focused specifically on effectiveness. Tiger Stripe improves concealment when facing opponents equipped with enhanced visual acquisition devices in the IR (infrared) and SWIR spectrums."

This is perfect,Its going on my 1187 and  Natural Gear Sc2 Green can go on the 870.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 10:50:57 PM »
I think I will try the    -Natural Gear SC2 Green   on my Rem 1187 20 gauge,21" youth and just take this gun and drop it off, If I like the outcome I think I will get my 870 20 gauge,21" youth,shurshot,regular stock,saddle mount and scope done in it as well. My thinking is then I can transfer the shurshot stock between the guns and It will be the same pattern.

My 870 is drilled and tapped for a marlin 336 base and red dot but I also have a saddle mount and scope for gun that I'll get done so I can change back and forth, I also will be sending two of my warbird protectors to have them done in all the same pattern.

I just like this pattern, I wore Natural gear pants for a decade and killed lots of turkeys,whitetail,bears etc and have always liked and felt it blends in well up here, and the Natural Gear SC2 Green looks good and is something different than normal per say.

I will get the 1187 drilled and tapped when I get gun back from being dipped.I am also going to send a few chokes to have done this time as well for my 20 Gauge Remingtons.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 10:59:44 PM »
I’ve always wanted one of these shotguns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 07:56:13 PM »
He may not have enough, or that pattern in stock, he is going to double check,if not he can have it in 7-10 days but I was looking through my waterfowl clothing and I pulled out a hat that belonged to my Grandfather,he's been gone since 1997 but It was a gift for my 10th bday, and I knew sure enough it was "Fred Bear" camo, I haven't wore it in 15 years at least and I got thinking that this gun sure would look nice done up in that finish, I do plan on using it for duck hunting in small floods as well,so we will see. I will know by Friday and will be dropping It(both 1187's) off late next week.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 08:04:50 AM »
Don’t check for me. I can’t buy one I’ve just always wanted one lol. Maybe one day I’ll be able to snatch one up. Congrats on the find!

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 09:25:16 AM »
I'm not checking for anybody, I was talking about the dipping patterns the hydro dipper has in stock. I ordered 4 Sims Vibration Kodiak Lt black slings for the new shotguns I have picked up. One is a gift but the other 3 are for me. These have become one of my favorite slings, I like them so much more than the claws I have.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 10:30:55 PM »
The gun should be shipping ups express tommorow,It should be here in a day,maybe 2. I have not heard back from the dipping company. If I don't hear back by time I get gun I may wait, or find another place. I am always leery of these "hydro dipping" places as I have found that there is no real set price in the industry and all give different time frames and from my experiences all give different levels, or no customer service.

One place, I spoke with was $600 a gun, are you kidding me? I said, you are twice the price as the closest competitor. He said they are the best, I said , well the  guy I did use does all of Browning Canada's firearms and charges half of what you do. I am not cheap, but I was not born last night and It seems like the "hydro dipping" is a licence to steal, for some.

I'm also not kissing anyones azz or chasing them around like a piece of skirt on a Friday night back in my late teens and 20's to have any work done.

I have looked and watched some other videos of different types of camoing them yourself, I have done 3 guns before but for what I paid for this gun, I don't think Id do it. I may have to wrap it and worry about dipping it later on.   But we will see, I am going to try and get in touch once more in the next few days and if I don't get a responce then I will move along and look elsewhere.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 10:51:50 PM »
You might check iron horse gun works. It’s in Loretta, TN and seems to get pretty solid reviews. I don’t have personal experience there but it’s not far from me and I see people talking about them online. I think they’re more in the $250 range.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 08:08:40 PM »
I am up in Ontario, so I wouldnt even try.After letting my father decide on which pattern he wanted, this is what we ended up with on final choices.

MY GUN- Remington 1187 20 gauge,1 extra Shur shot stock, 1 warbird protector,1 small 336 marlin base, 2 turkey chokes dipped in--------
-----
1043 Natural Gear SC2 Green

-2nd choice- 245 Tiger stripe Vietnam

HIS GUN-Remington 1187 20 gauge, 1 scope rail and 1 turkey choke dipped in----------

914 Stalkland Legacy

-2nd choice-955 Stalkland Legacy Reduced

I am hoping to drop these guns off late next week at his shop,2 hr drive but close enough that It will save close to $200 shipping and It gives me a chance to go check out an old spot where I used to go when my cousins were in College in the late 1990's.

It wasn't an easy choice but I went with what I like the most,those two,follwed by a few others in the future.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 08:13:55 PM »
I already have a .570 tightwad and a .575 Carlson's non ported but I will be looking for a few other chokes in a .550-.565 diameter eventually to test out as well. The first one I am going to test is the Carlson's tss .555 as I can get it local,when I pick my gun up from being drilled and tapped in a month or 6 weeks after it gets dipped, I will grab it then.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 02:04:53 PM »
This gun finnaly shipped,6 days after paying for ups express shipping,It ships canada post,slowest way.The place I purchased it from has been a complete joke, and rude,arrogant and just a horrible experience talking to some "helper" on the phone, I spoke with the owner and he apologized and then turned around and lied and shipped it a cheaper way,It shows Friday to arrive. I paid for overnight shipping last Thursday.

This was the second gun I bought from them, and the last.The first purchase went smooth, this one has been like nails on a chalkboard,then getting ignorant and arrogant attitude on the phone from a minimum wage dog screwer, I'll buy elsewhere, and I purchase a lot.

I found a new hydro dipping shop that actually is easy to deal with and seems to want my hydro dipping business, I am just waiting to hear back today on the patterns I want. I will be shipping my guns to this place as It is a 4 hour drive, which is not worth my time.

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 07:46:47 PM »
Sucks to here about the crappy service with the gun shop. I won't buy another gun from Cabela's after the experience I had.  Seemed like I was ruining their day by buying a gun from them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk