OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Federal 3rd degree/with tss 5,6,7 ?  (Read 8780 times)

Offline randywallace

Re: Federal 3rd degree/with tss 5,6,7 ?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2022, 12:45:33 PM »
Gimmick.  They earned their nickname of TurdDegree. After shooting TSS, I will never go back to any sort of lead for turkeys.  If I had to, it would be straight copper plated 6s.

The retail price on those 3rdDegree is $32 a box. 
Boss 2oz TSS 9s can be bought for $45 a box.  Other brands in the 1 5/8 to 1 7/8 range are within $5 in price to the Boss loads.   

I don't burn ammo on turkeys like doves, so that $13 a box difference is immaterial for the incredible increase in efficiency.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2022, 12:57:24 PM »
I couldn't care less about the cost of any shells,tss,lead etc. Tss shells are superior, I don't think that is even a question. But these are a gimmick as much as needing a tss shell to kill a turkey out to 40 yards is a gimmick. Price isnt a concern for me and hunting. If you can get them to pattern, like that guy has, that is a dead turkey.

Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2022, 02:20:11 PM »
I patterned one of my 20's today with the Fed 5-6-7's and I am more than happy with them. I used my Winchester sxp longbeard pistol grip with the fiber optics and a trulock.585 pinhoti and was impressed. They have shot well from the 3 Winchester 20 gauges I have tested them in,with .570-.585 chokes.

Offline erikmcgarrh

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2022, 05:55:35 PM »
I bought these shells for like $12 bucks a box just too see what they would do there is no comparison between them and Apex straight 9’s or any other premium TSS shell but these will kill no doubt if they where the only option someone had, I never ceases to amaze me how Tss patterns and what’s more important to me how it’ll blow through foliage and completely dust roll a gobbler !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2022, 07:01:03 PM »
I never really had any luck with any 20 gauge shells other than longbeards, and now we can shoot tss #7's,but until a handful of years ago we could not shoot smaller than 6's, I thought the original 3rd degree were trash and figured these newer ones would be the same, I have actually had some great patterns with them from some setups. I have patterned Federal tss #9's, too bad I can't hunt with them yet, tss #9's are awesome, I am happy with the Fed tss #7's from a handful of my 20's.

Offline erikmcgarrh

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2022, 07:11:37 PM »
Dang that sucks y’all can’t use 9’s ! But if what you’re using works no need to change !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2022, 10:40:19 PM »
I patterned one of my 20's today with the Fed 5-6-7's and I am more than happy with them. I used my Winchester sxp longbeard pistol grip with the fiber optics and a trulock.585 pinhoti and was impressed. They have shot well from the 3 Winchester 20 gauges I have tested them in,with .570-.585 chokes.

H.B.K if you can post that pattern you shot I’d like to see em. Thx  :turkey:
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."