News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ms non res drawing?

Started by Paulmyr, January 09, 2022, 06:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candyman

Quote from: aclawrence on January 09, 2022, 03:47:38 PM
Alabama has changed up our rules to so hopefully it will knock a little pressure off.  We can only kill one bird within the first ten days of the season and only two off one one wma.  I know we had a group from Arkansas camping out on my local WMA last year and they had killed 3 or 4 gobblers.  If they want to come back they'll have to be content with their one bird and move along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And no decoys the first 10 days.

Paulmyr

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on January 09, 2022, 01:10:02 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on January 09, 2022, 06:05:26 AM
Never thought about Hunting Ms in my entire lifetime.
They çhanged thier regs for the better so they thought. When is the Miss non res drawing?  Season is 3 months away! How do I apply? Hmmm.......????
"So they thought" what is that supposed to mean? Yes it is changed for the better. If I was a covid freak I'd of worn an N-95 Mask on our public lands last March due to how crowded they are.
With the changes to starting dates of southern states Miss is still the early bird even after the the 2 week non res lottery. My guess is the mad rush of oosers will only be delayed by 2 weeks. The turkeys in Miss are going to be pounded for opener and again 2 weeks later with non res hunters instead of just being pounded for opener. Good for the turkeys or just good for Res turkey hunters?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

aclawrence

Our biologist pushed ours back in north Alabama from last season. I guess it would be nice if Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi would all kick off on the same day. Unless you're a traveling turkey hunter then that would lower your total days.

sasquatch1

Quote from: aclawrence on January 09, 2022, 07:20:13 PM
Our biologist pushed ours back in north Alabama from last season. I guess it would be nice if Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi would all kick off on the same day. Unless you're a traveling turkey hunter then that would lower your total days.

Your not even "hip" anymore unless you can claim the traveling hunter title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dtrkyman

sucks for you southern boys, only hunted the south once, wish I would have back in the day as I have no desire to deal with the BS.   

Hopefully a couple good hatch years will get things headed back in the right direction.

aclawrence

Quote from: sasquatch1 on January 09, 2022, 07:23:29 PM
Quote from: aclawrence on January 09, 2022, 07:20:13 PM

Your not even "hip" anymore unless you can claim the traveling hunter title.

Hey it sounds like a lot of fun to me but I can spend the whole dang season at home and barely kill two gobblers lol. I would like to see some new places one day though. But yeah I know what you mean.

WV Flopper

I hope your population rebounds as good as ever. I truly do.

In 4-6 years maybe we will see a good result.

northms

Quote from: Paulmyr on January 09, 2022, 07:04:47 PM
Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on January 09, 2022, 01:10:02 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on January 09, 2022, 06:05:26 AM
Never thought about Hunting Ms in my entire lifetime.
They çhanged thier regs for the better so they thought. When is the Miss non res drawing?  Season is 3 months away! How do I apply? Hmmm.......????
"So they thought" what is that supposed to mean? Yes it is changed for the better. If I was a covid freak I'd of worn an N-95 Mask on our public lands last March due to how crowded they are.
With the changes to starting dates of southern states Miss is still the early bird even after the the 2 week non res lottery. My guess is the mad rush of oosers will only be delayed by 2 weeks. The turkeys in Miss are going to be pounded for opener and again 2 weeks later with non res hunters instead of just being pounded for opener. Good for the turkeys or just good for Res turkey hunters?

It will delay a few for those two weeks but many will stay home and hunt their own openers come April 1 instead of heading to MS. At least that's the thought process by MDWFP I presume. They limit out of state pressure from pouring in, killing birds in MS, and heading back for their own openers. Many guys in recent years use MS as a pre-opener to their state and the results have been immense pressure.

I could go out during the work week 3-4 years ago and not run into too many people. Now it'll be Tuesday morning and be like the Daytona 500 on public land. It's insane. I wish MS would also put restrictions in like AL on the no decoys and one bird per WMA or whatever it is. Numbers have been dwindling and I see no positive outcome without intervention. 

turkeyfool

Hunted it in 18', 19', and 20' when I lived on the Mississippi line (but on the Tennessee side). That state is tough man. A lot of nonresident hunters. I honestly don't know that I'd just go blaming MS' struggles on social media, it seems like the Arkansas guys I've met there have been hunting Miss consistently for a long time. Think I may have come across 2 birds in the woods on Public in 3 years.

I'm not even gonna speculate on what all of the problems may be, but I can tell you that I think there's a lot of resident hunters hunting before the season officially starts. And I also believe there's a lot of landowners running a feeder pretty heavily

deadbuck

This new NR rule will delay us killing our birds to below huntable numbers a little longer. With a 7 week season, no true tagging system, folks running feeders, real time game cameras, a bag limit of 3, and college kids shooting TSS and crawling ditches with fans and all the time in the world to hunt they will soon be gone.

Stoeger_bird

Quote from: deadbuck on January 11, 2022, 11:52:17 AM
This new NR rule will delay us killing our birds to below huntable numbers a little longer. With a 7 week season, no true tagging system, folks running feeders, real time game cameras, a bag limit of 3, and college kids shooting TSS and crawling ditches with fans and all the time in the world to hunt they will soon be gone.
Umm no way! U didn't know that all this new hunter recruitment the youtubers are doing is going the save the wild turkey! No way it will have a negative impact!
T.W.D.W.D.

deadbuck

and we have all day hunting so you dont even have to get up early

Howie g

Dead buck summed it up pretty good . Feeders in every field and timber opening , no tagging , early season , to long of a season , all day hunting , very little law enforcement and a few poor hatches has taken its toll on our turkeys .  Although I applaud the effort , I'm not sure if this new oos draw is the answer. I pray I'm wrong !

sasquatch1

Quote from: Howie g on January 20, 2022, 07:25:26 AM
Dead buck summed it up pretty good . Feeders in every field and timber opening , no tagging , early season , to long of a season , all day hunting , very little law enforcement and a few poor hatches has taken its toll on our turkeys .  Although I applaud the effort , I'm not sure if this new oos draw is the answer. I pray I'm wrong !
One of my biggest fears is now the draw will trigger FOMO, and actually cause more people to try and draw than ever went before.

That plus all the people getting everyone they know to apply, that way if they themselves don't draw they can go hunt with their friend who did.

Hopefully it don't turn into Utah elk, where 20 people are all out there hunting with a friend who has a tag.

I'm good with the draw but I think we also need funding, just remove 3/7 day licenses or something.

If you wanna hunt buy the whole damn thing, maybe then we can actually start allocating some funding to buy more lands and manage them better.

aclawrence

I see what your saying about the tagging along like Utah thing but I don't think most turkey hunters are going to go for that. If I drew a tag 20 people wouldn't even know about it. More funding couldn't hurt anything.