OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SP 10 slide extension assembly  (Read 1637 times)

Online BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
SP 10 slide extension assembly
« on: January 08, 2022, 11:48:12 AM »
Wanted to see if anyone on here knew where to have one fabricated? Looks like they are few and far between to try and come by nowadays.

The pronged piece that is saddled on the end of the tube gave way. Looks like it was brazed on or possibly tigged on as OEM. I figured out what happened. Looks like the buffer o ring up inside of it finally deteriorated. This probably let the assembly slam against the receiver and shear off.
Phil 4:13

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: SP 10 slide extension assembly
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 10:41:26 AM »
Any luck on getting it repaired? I seem to recall reading somewhere quite a while back somebody had the same issue as you. Buffer went bad and caused the prongs to bend. I don't remember how it was fixed. Hopefully you can get it going again soon. They are great guns.

Online BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 04:47:48 PM »
Found a local smith to repair it. Looks like the flux/etch prep that was oem didn't ever quite cook out and the area in question corroded a little bit. The buffer deteriorated  just enough to allow the assembly to over travel and shear. The problem started   when it was originally silver soldered/brazed on. 4k -5k rounds later it failed.

Going to grind down the orignal soldered area, reprep and Tig everything. Should be good to go. Prongs are still in correct alignment. Still cheaper this way than the new assembly online when it's available. If it survives three turkey loads shot in a row we are good to go. If not going to have to machine a brand new one on CNC.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 07:54:38 AM »
That's great that you are able to get the problem figured out and how to repair it. Thanks for  the update and info. Let us know how it holds up.

Online BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 01:30:20 PM »
No problem very welcome. Smith had confidence this was going to work. I picked up a 3pk of buffers for it.

Love the gun, it sees more time for ducks than turkeys nowadays. But with the kicks choke and federal hvys it is impressive but painful for turkeys lol

Online BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 11:05:01 AM »
Smith fixed it good as new!

Offline b wilt

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 11:42:18 AM »
That's Awesome!!! Love my SP-10!

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 01:55:53 PM »
BTH, are you saying you have shot an SP10 4-5,000 times? Cant even imagine the cost of that ammo!

Online BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 05:52:40 PM »
Somewhere very close to that.Ye$ it has been an expensive journey. Got it in late 99 or early 2000. Most of that was waterfowl hunting
 It's mean with #1 buck out of a turkey choke on coyotes and hogs too.