OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Merriam Turkey Hunt 2022  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Zach Markus

Merriam Turkey Hunt 2022
« on: January 07, 2022, 08:33:45 PM »
Hey guys, me and a buddy are looking to make a trip out west this season to chase some merriam turkeys. We have been to Kansas and killed some Rios a couple years ago but that’s as far west as we’ve been. I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole and I understand not wanting to advertise good public lands on a public talk forum, I’ve seen that ruin a good place or two around here so feel free to pm me. I’ve been doing a lot of research and it’s pretty overwhelming with the amount of public lands in a few different states and I know not all areas have turkeys. We were originally thinking pine ridge area in Nebraska or black hills in South Dakota or Wyoming but I’m getting mixed reviews on those areas. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline neal

• Double Beard
  • Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff and striker builder
Re: Merriam Turkey Hunt 2022
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 09:08:29 PM »
Nebraska gets run over. Not saying you can’t kill one there because you can. But if you want a Merriams I’d avoid Nebraska it’s hybrid central. I’ve killed plenty of white ones there over 20 years but way more hybrids. Go up and hunt the BH’s of SD and WY.
You can buy a tag in WY OTC and 2 tags for SD with more land than you could hunt in a month.
I’ve hunted all 3 places lots of times and will be again this spring.

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 05:26:44 PM »
I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole
Ah, famous internet forum words!

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 05:34:55 PM »
NM

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Zach Markus

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 05:41:16 PM »
I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole
Ah, famous internet forum words!
Lol right. I’m really not though but with millions of acres of public lands I’d like to at least know I was heading to a place with a turkey population.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Spurtaker

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 09:15:59 PM »
NE is loaded with hybrid turkeys. Eastern, rio, and Merriam. All 3 in some places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just wait. He's coming!

Offline simpzenith

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 12:16:48 PM »
Blacks Hills is a good choice. Bird populations seem to be doing well. Just be prepared for sudden weather changes. It literally could be sunny and warm and a half hour later it could be cold and snowing. Late May would be the best time to go imo. More stable weather patterns and less hunters.

Offline Alex T.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 09:05:52 PM »
Those guys are right about Nebraska. Lots of pressure and most birds are hybrids. Pick another state and start contacting their wildlife guys, most will at least point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 09:33:19 AM »
Following