OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TSA approved gun case recommendations  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: TSA approved gun case recommendations
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 07:52:08 AM »
So I actually had issues with the TSA in Oregon and delayed my flight by 5 min. Almost missed it because of them.

I flew to Oregon with a standard Plano hard case and I bought 3 TSA approved locks from Amazon.

Minnesota TSA said all good and sent me to Oregon. Get to Oregon to hunt the land I was invited to and a total bust, no birds, bad place to stay… train wreck all around.

Anyways…

I arrive to the airport 1.5 hours before flight.
TSA inspects my gun and case and my case doesn’t pass the inspection. I was confused because Minnesota TSA said it was fine.

The guy unlocks the case (not the TSA locks, just the case locks-the ones that are built into the cases… trying to not get confusing here). He flexes that case open and sticks his fingers in there and touches the barrel. Says the case won’t pass inspection because he shouldn’t be able to touch the gun with the locks still being on there. That I need to get a new case that’s heavy duty and sturdy, as to allow zero flex, and If I could get some locks that fit really tight on the case, so even with the case itself unlocked, the tighter locks wont allow the person to even move the case lids open a little bit.

I’m very confused at this point because Minnesota TSA passed me just fine, and at this point I have about 1 hr before my flight leaves, not boards… leaves.

So I’m faced with 2 options… abandon the gun there or run into town and potentially miss my flight to get a suitable case.

Call a ride and speed to the nearest sporting goods store and buy the most heavy duty, durable, unflexible gun case they have and I buy like 8 different locks. Considering I have no time for mistakes.

Put the gun in the new case and abandon my old one there (I liked that case too) try the different locks until I get the ones that fit incredibly tight on the case. Head back to the airport and head to TSA.

I now get the guy that’s totally cool and just makes sure the case is locked, gun is not loaded and has me sign the empty firearm slip and sends me on my way.

Luckily they notified my plane to let them know what was going on and they delay the flight like 5-10min.

I get there and of course everyone is staring at me pissed. Headed back to MN glad to be done with it.

So based off that experience…

Get yourself a nice durable case that has no flex to it when there’s locks on it. Make sure you get some TSA approved locks that fit tight on it so no one can undo the locks and pry the case open and touch the gun.

I guess you don’t technically need the TSA approved locks but it will be one less potential issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see what happened there. It all depends on your inspector unfortunately. All the inspectors I have had liked my case set up. Even though I has one main heavy duty lock, the stainless steel bar that goes through the 4 heavy hasps make it impossible to open the case unless you cut the lock off and remove the steel rod. So far, it’s passed all the tests, but stay tuned because airline rules are ever changing……..Stay safe, be well…
“Solo hunter”

Online eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 08:01:02 AM »
I have only flown twice for turkey hunting. Never had an issue with guns, because they were always in a really good case and we followed rules to the letter.

On flying back with birds. My buddy taught me this. I take a 32 quart cooler as my checked bag. I have a soft clothing bag that fits inside it. I tape it shut with duct tape and have all my contact info written on the lid in permanent ink. If I bring a bird back and it's frozen I just put it in a garbage bag and into the cooler. There's usually still room for my soft bag to be stuffed in. I put a copy of my license and all the proper wildlife harvest info in a baggy attached to the bird. If the bird isn't frozen I put cold packs around it or dry ice. Like said before know how much dry ice you can use. Most flights are short enough you are safe with fresh meat and just a couple cold packs. remember it's cold at the altitude the planes fly at and I doubt that baggage is in heated space. I actually have never brought a whole bird back, but my buddy has. I don't mount birds or keep anything but meat, not even beards or spurs.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 09:06:02 AM »
I have the harbour freight roll on 2 gun case ..flown with it many times it is well built .... But you will need to put 2 extra locks on it as tsa requires 4 locks and that case has 2
I couldn’t find mention of that on their site. How sure are you on that? My case only has two spots for locks so I’m gonna have to figure something out if this is true

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 10:17:57 AM »
I have the harbour freight roll on 2 gun case ..flown with it many times it is well built .... But you will need to put 2 extra locks on it as tsa requires 4 locks and that case has 2
I couldn’t find mention of that on their site. How sure are you on that? My case only has two spots for locks so I’m gonna have to figure something out if this is true

If it is Terry, you can get quality Marine hasps and install them. My brothers SKB case lock broke, so installed some heavy hasps on the case and added TSA locks. Worked real well. You can rivet or bolt them on with locking nuts….
“Solo hunter”

Offline Gentry

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 10:40:16 AM »
Do any of y’all have any issues with cases being over 62 inch’s L+W+H? Is something they just overlook? None of the cases I’ve looked at will come in at 62”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2022, 10:59:00 AM »
So I actually had issues with the TSA in Oregon and delayed my flight by 5 min. Almost missed it because of them.

I flew to Oregon with a standard Plano hard case and I bought 3 TSA approved locks from Amazon.

Minnesota TSA said all good and sent me to Oregon. Get to Oregon to hunt the land I was invited to and a total bust, no birds, bad place to stay… train wreck all around.

Anyways…

I arrive to the airport 1.5 hours before flight.
TSA inspects my gun and case and my case doesn’t pass the inspection. I was confused because Minnesota TSA said it was fine.

The guy unlocks the case (not the TSA locks, just the case locks-the ones that are built into the cases… trying to not get confusing here). He flexes that case open and sticks his fingers in there and touches the barrel. Says the case won’t pass inspection because he shouldn’t be able to touch the gun with the locks still being on there. That I need to get a new case that’s heavy duty and sturdy, as to allow zero flex, and If I could get some locks that fit really tight on the case, so even with the case itself unlocked, the tighter locks wont allow the person to even move the case lids open a little bit.

I’m very confused at this point because Minnesota TSA passed me just fine, and at this point I have about 1 hr before my flight leaves, not boards… leaves.

So I’m faced with 2 options… abandon the gun there or run into town and potentially miss my flight to get a suitable case.

Call a ride and speed to the nearest sporting goods store and buy the most heavy duty, durable, unflexible gun case they have and I buy like 8 different locks. Considering I have no time for mistakes.

Put the gun in the new case and abandon my old one there (I liked that case too) try the different locks until I get the ones that fit incredibly tight on the case. Head back to the airport and head to TSA.

I now get the guy that’s totally cool and just makes sure the case is locked, gun is not loaded and has me sign the empty firearm slip and sends me on my way.

Luckily they notified my plane to let them know what was going on and they delay the flight like 5-10min.

I get there and of course everyone is staring at me pissed. Headed back to MN glad to be done with it.

So based off that experience…

Get yourself a nice durable case that has no flex to it when there’s locks on it. Make sure you get some TSA approved locks that fit tight on it so no one can undo the locks and pry the case open and touch the gun.

I guess you don’t technically need the TSA approved locks but it will be one less potential issue.

I see what happened there. It all depends on your inspector unfortunately. All the inspectors I have had liked my case set up. Even though I has one main heavy duty lock, the stainless steel bar that goes through the 4 heavy hasps make it impossible to open the case unless you cut the lock off and remove the steel rod. So far, it’s passed all the tests, but stay tuned because airline rules are ever changing……..Stay safe, be well…
Yea I would have to say it does come down to the individual agent. Because the 2nd agent was smooth sailing. Unless he knew the flight situation and already knew that I went to get another case.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2022, 11:02:23 AM »
"Oregon" pretty much sums it up.  You got hosed IMO.  Curious - Plano makes several types of cases in different varieties.  Mine is called a Tactical Case and has made three flights over the years with no problems.  It has two built in key locks and places for two additional locks.  I use them all and get to the airports at least 2 1/2 hours early if flying with my turkey gun..  Good luck in the future.  This is why so many will no longer fly into "blue" states or cities.

This was the case I original went with.

Yea all I can say is I probably won’t be back hunting Oregon for a loooonnnggg time.

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2022, 11:52:04 AM »
That is one of Plano lower cost options.  I have one or two.  The Tactical cases are much heavier duty.  Since this is a favorite subject of mine I've been looking through the multiple regulations and post on this topic.  So far there is no requirement that I've found requiring TSA locks.  In fact they are not recommended since only the firearms owner should be able to open the case.  If requested the key will then be relinquished to a TSA agent. Also other than the case must be securely locked the number of locks used is not specified. 
On my last firearms flight from Ft. Myers FL to Columbus Oh I signed the "yes it's unloaded" form.  The form was placed inside the case.  I re-locked the case and it headed down the belt.  Never paged by TSA.  The x-ray was sufficient.  EZPZ.  At the arrival point the case was picked up at the baggage office so it wouldn't be circling on the baggage carousel.  Don't make this harder than it is.

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2022, 03:35:01 PM »
Do any of y’all have any issues with cases being over 62 inch’s L+W+H? Is something they just overlook? None of the cases I’ve looked at will come in at 62”

South West from San Francisco to Phoenix on a Gould hunt, they definitely pulled out the tape measure and the cost was $70.00 for a over size bag, anything 62” L+W+H, (which was a gun case) at that time for one way. That’s why I was looking at the Pelican 1700, Dimensions Outside: 38.12" x 16.00" x 6.12".
On another flight we also ran into the lock problem, TSA wanted a lock in each hole that the manufacturers case has provided for, 2 holes two locks, 4 holes four locks, not 4 holes and two locks like we had. If they can pry the case open and get there fingers in there it’s a no go, at least for us. Probably depends who’s on duty, your mileage may very.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2022, 07:34:16 AM »

Not that I have a ton of experience with it, but have flown United and Soutwest with an oversized case and have not had it measured once nor had to pay any oversize fee.  Anyone I've talked to about it has said the same.  They do weigh them to make sure you're under 50lbs.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2022, 08:08:41 AM »
I've flown a lot with the gun. TSA is a complete PIA everyone is different. That being said I use the Pelican 2 gun case. Put your OWN lock on every hole that can take a lock. Mine has 4 so I bought 4 keyed alike locks. Get good locks not TSA locks those are junk. I usually fly with an extra lock or two just so I don't have problems. Like someone said if I'm flying to a cold weather place I'll remove a layer of foam and pack my heavy clothes in it but I usually don't do that because I want that case locked tight. I try to arrive 2 hours before my flight which has always been plenty of time. Every airport is different. Most airports you have to get the gun from security. I flew into a small airport in New York one time and was standing by the conveyor looking for security and out pops my gun case on the belt. LOL  As for flying back with birds I just put it in my carry on bag. I've flown whole birds back although it was Geese and ducks not a turkey. Tail fans and feet and frozen meat. I just get one of those bag coolers that a tail fan fits in and pack it in my carry on. I killed a goose in Kansas one year and was bringing it home and the girls doing the x ray was laughing and let me look at the x ray of the pellets in my goose lol.

Online eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2022, 08:30:54 AM »
chiefbubba, we have had guns come out on a belt too. If there's two of us one watches the belt and the other goes to the security office.

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2022, 09:50:54 AM »
chiefbubba, we have had guns come out on a belt too. If there's two of us one watches the belt and the other goes to the security office.

That's a good idea. That was the only time that has happened to me. I usually get the checked bags first and then go looking for the security office. Bubba

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2022, 10:11:50 AM »
I have an SKB that I have flown with, but I think I am going to pickup a Pelican 1700 and get in under the 62" criteria. 
A gun case for flying isn't something I will skimp on, after my first experience flying with one.  On the way to OK and back my SKB came out with a few battle scars.
The 1700 may not be perceived as a "Gun Case" so much either, which probably doesn't hurt.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 03:44:27 PM by vt35mag »

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2022, 10:54:43 AM »
 Flying United I have followed their guidelines and haven't had any issues. They do have a 62" limit, after the magic number you have to pay for Oversized baggage. I bet its expensive.

I was in Orlando and a guy was arguing with the baggage screener. I cant remember the charge but he was over weight by 2#. The lady told him "Nicely" repeatedly just to take a pair of blue jeans out as they average about three pounds. He could not get that through his head. Maybe he had high dollar designer jeans, IDK. But he paid the over weight charge.

As an option, the ticket you purchase can limit you, or help you. First class tickets allows more bags, at no extra cost. Well, it did 2 years ago, that could have changed as well by now. Economy tickets are just that, they usually allow one small carryon and one checked bag. If flying with equipment it adds up quickly and can require multiple bags. Not saying the First class ticket offsets that cost, but makes it more manageable along with the extra room and perks.