OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TSA approved gun case recommendations  (Read 2975 times)

Offline topnotch

TSA approved gun case recommendations
« on: January 06, 2022, 09:39:19 PM »
Decided to brave the airports this spring and head back to Merriam country.
Haven't traveled since 2013, does anyone have suggestions for good TSA approved gun case ?
Also companion will be on first travel hunt and is wanting to bring bird back, I've always froze them and took them home as carry ones.
Anyone had any issues with bird going through security ?

Offline neal

• Double Beard
  • Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff and striker builder
Re: TSA approved gun case recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 09:55:10 PM »
I’ve flown home with birds from Mexico (capes) and meat and feathers from FL many times. Pack the feathers in a piece of cardboard and put in your carry on. For the meat I bring my YETI soft side and carry it on the plane or put it in your carry on. For cases I use a pelican. I’ve had great luck with it but there definitely lots of options.

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 10:51:39 PM »
I'm using a Pelican V800.  It's more than big enough, I take out enough padding to get my camo clothing, sleeping bag and anything else I can fit.  Just keep it under 50lbs.  Tail fans I put in the gun case for the flight back.  That did startle the lady from TSA one time.  For the meat I've flown several times with meat in my carry on and haven't had any issues as of yet.  Not having the ability to freeze it because I was living out of the rental, I made some ice packs with doubled up freezer bags tied in a trash bag around the meat in a small soft cooler and all went well. 

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 02:43:03 AM »
We’ve flown three times over the last couple of years and I would check the airline oversized baggage rules and before you buy a case look at its exterior measurements. Some airlines charged $70.00 each way for anything over 62 inches total W+L+D, that includes measuring the handles and wheels sticking out; they have tape measures and are not afraid to use them. I do not own but have looked at the Pelican 1700 that slip under these measurements. You didn’t state what gun you wanted to carry so this my not work for you.

https://www.buycasesforless.com/p-11450-pelican-1700-case.aspx
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 05:27:27 AM »
I'm more than satisfied with my Plano 36" case.  Half the price of the Pelicans and seems to do the job.  I picked the smallest case that would accommodate my 870 with the barrel off.  36" is the smallest they make but the 42" may be a good compromise and Amazon shows it still under $100.00.  Has a "pluck foam" feature that allows you to fit the case to the gun's form.
Good tips regarding bringing the meat and fan back BTW.   

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 08:06:32 AM »
Had great luck with ICC (Impact Case Company). All aluminum/stainless steel Construction. Built like a tank. The advertisement showed a D9 dozer rolling over it, did nit crush it. It’s locking bar feature with solid steel hasps make it tough to jar it open, pretty much impossible. As you can see, it went through the “baggage war zones”. Highly recommend if you do not want to worry about your weapon while flying….
“Solo hunter”

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 09:18:48 AM »
Regarding bringing home your turkeys:  The simplest solution to transporting birds, or storing them for long periods of time on a hunt, is to learn how to cape your turkeys for mounting.  It ain't rocket science, and it will make your life SO much easier in terms of dealing with both the cape and the meat.  Seems that folks are afraid of the caping process when there is no need to be.  It's one of those things where after you have done it, you say to yourself,..."now why have I been messing with an entire turkey when I could have been doing this the whole time?"   ;D :D

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 09:20:01 AM »
Harbor Freight has gun cases with wheels that are TSA approved. I fly Southwest and have never had a problem with the case. As for the bird, you can pack it in a cooler with dry ice as checked baggage
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 09:55:24 AM »
 I think I have 3 of the Plano case in different sizes. They are not the basic cheap $20 hard cases, seems just like the Pelican.  You cut out the foam so it molds around your gun and fits like a glove.  The airline people would literally have to toss the case 10 feet in the air before there could be any damage. Make sure your case has wheels...makes things a lot easier.
Depending on your gun on what size you should get  42" or 36", etc.. ... also depending on if you want to remove the barrel. You can then use a smaller case. Also get a few locks.. I use the circle combination locks that way I don't need to fuss with keys. Don't worry about getting the most "secure" lock... they can break into anything when it's a plastic case if they really want to.
This is a good one - https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Weather-Scoped-Rifle-Shotgun/dp/B07B7SB486/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2WJ5OB025QSK8&keywords=Plano+gun+case&qid=1641566978&sprefix=plano+gun+case%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-2

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 11:02:30 AM »
You have to watch bringing dry ice on an airplane. It is a solid form of carbon dioxide and is considered by the FFA to be a hazardous substance. Check with them before you bring it on board.
“Solo hunter”

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 08:20:56 PM »
I have the harbour freight roll on 2 gun case ..flown with it many times it is well built .... But you will need to put 2 extra locks on it as tsa requires 4 locks and that case has 2
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline topnotch

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 08:54:32 PM »
Thanks for all the great information.

Offline BD

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2022, 09:26:00 PM »
SKB for case and soft side cooler with frozen meat as a carry on

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 03:34:32 AM »
So I actually had issues with the TSA in Oregon and delayed my flight by 5 min. Almost missed it because of them.

I flew to Oregon with a standard Plano hard case and I bought 3 TSA approved locks from Amazon.

Minnesota TSA said all good and sent me to Oregon. Get to Oregon to hunt the land I was invited to and a total bust, no birds, bad place to stay… train wreck all around.

Anyways…

I arrive to the airport 1.5 hours before flight.
TSA inspects my gun and case and my case doesn’t pass the inspection. I was confused because Minnesota TSA said it was fine.

The guy unlocks the case (not the TSA locks, just the case locks-the ones that are built into the cases… trying to not get confusing here). He flexes that case open and sticks his fingers in there and touches the barrel. Says the case won’t pass inspection because he shouldn’t be able to touch the gun with the locks still being on there. That I need to get a new case that’s heavy duty and sturdy, as to allow zero flex, and If I could get some locks that fit really tight on the case, so even with the case itself unlocked, the tighter locks wont allow the person to even move the case lids open a little bit.

I’m very confused at this point because Minnesota TSA passed me just fine, and at this point I have about 1 hr before my flight leaves, not boards… leaves.

So I’m faced with 2 options… abandon the gun there or run into town and potentially miss my flight to get a suitable case.

Call a ride and speed to the nearest sporting goods store and buy the most heavy duty, durable, unflexible gun case they have and I buy like 8 different locks. Considering I have no time for mistakes.

Put the gun in the new case and abandon my old one there (I liked that case too) try the different locks until I get the ones that fit incredibly tight on the case. Head back to the airport and head to TSA.

I now get the guy that’s totally cool and just makes sure the case is locked, gun is not loaded and has me sign the empty firearm slip and sends me on my way.

Luckily they notified my plane to let them know what was going on and they delay the flight like 5-10min.

I get there and of course everyone is staring at me pissed. Headed back to MN glad to be done with it.

So based off that experience…

Get yourself a nice durable case that has no flex to it when there’s locks on it. Make sure you get some TSA approved locks that fit tight on it so no one can undo the locks and pry the case open and touch the gun.

I guess you don’t technically need the TSA approved locks but it will be one less potential issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 07:38:35 AM »
"Oregon" pretty much sums it up.  You got hosed IMO.  Curious - Plano makes several types of cases in different varieties.  Mine is called a Tactical Case and has made three flights over the years with no problems.  It has two built in key locks and places for two additional locks.  I use them all and get to the airports at least 2 1/2 hours early if flying with my turkey gun..  Good luck in the future.  This is why so many will no longer fly into "blue" states or cities.