OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Indian Creek vs Carlson TSS same constriction

Started by Jordan121787, January 06, 2022, 07:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan121787

Is there going to be a big difference in the pattern between these two if they are the same constriction? I've been looking at trying a .555. The Carlson is more than half the price of the IC and I was wondering if it was worth twice the price.

ChesterCopperpot

There will surely be a difference and that's not to say which one will be better just that one will inevitably be better in your gun. Might be Carlsons or might be the Indian Creek. Start cheap. I've got a Benelli that flat loved a Carlsons choke. It shoots better with the Carlsons than it does any other brand I've tried—an Indian Creek, a Sumtoy, and an old Primos Jellyhead. But that's that gun. Got another gun that shoots best with a Rob Roberts choke. That one also shoots a Stardot real well but again doesn't shoot an Indian Creek for whatever reason. It's all trial and error just like finding the right ammunition for a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lacire

I wouldn't mind buying an expensive choke tube if it was going to give me the pattern I was looking for. I've never tried an Indian Creek choke but have used the Carlsons .555 TSS choke in two different Benelli's and a Carlson's .590 extra full sporting clays also in a Benelli. Both restrictions have given me excellent hunting patterns with a little more pellet count in the 20" with the .590, using Apex 3", 1 5/8 oz, #9 shells. I used the .555 TSS choke this fall to take a nice Tom and will be using it again this spring in a 26" barreled 20 ga. Benelli, with a bore size of .630. Patterns are linked below.

https://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,105701.0.html
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

WTNUT

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 06, 2022, 07:30:21 PM
There will surely be a difference and that's not to say which one will be better just that one will inevitably be better in your gun. Might be Carlsons or might be the Indian Creek. Start cheap. I've got a Benelli that flat loved a Carlsons choke. It shoots better with the Carlsons than it does any other brand I've tried—an Indian Creek, a Sumtoy, and an old Primos Jellyhead. But that's that gun. Got another gun that shoots best with a Rob Roberts choke. That one also shoots a Stardot real well but again doesn't shoot an Indian Creek for whatever reason. It's all trial and error just like finding the right ammunition for a rifle.

Very good answer above.  I tried a ton of chokes in five different turkey guns last year.  It was amazing to see the difference.  One Benelli loved a Sumtoy,  another Benelli just thought it was okay.  The second Benelli loved a Carlson,  but hated a lot of varieties.   The overall lesson learned is that each gun had some chokes it hated,  some that did a good job and one or two that was heads and tales above all others.   There is no other way in my opinion to find out what works for your gun other than to shoot some through your gun.  I wish I could tell you that if you have a Benelli SBE3 use the __________ choke.  And, in fairness a choke manufacturer can probably tell you a Benelli SBE3 usually likes "X",  but there is no guarantee yours will like it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk