turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSA approved gun case recommendations

Started by topnotch, January 06, 2022, 09:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey46

Thanks WV - most all domestic airlines will read basically the same.  I try and always fly Southwest and just don't have problems with baggage.  Two free checked bags and a reasonable size carryon are permitted.  Weight and size limits apply.  The firearm case is counted as a checked bag and as long as it isn't over 40# or exceeds the magic 62" it's free.
After reading all these post and skimming through other post and guidelines it appears there is no such thing as a TSA approved gun case or TSA approved locks.  TSA locks are no more than master keyed to allow TSA quick access.
After reading the two post regarding TSA agents flexing cases and trying to stick their fingers inside I modified my Plano Tactical case as pictured.  It now has two built in factory locks, two additional locks on the front and now a lock on each end.  That's six.  I may add number seven by the handle but I'm out of locks.  It took no more than a drill and bit for this modification. 
What do you think? 

WV Flopper

I can not find where either United or TSA dictates the number of locks on a case, Or the brand of lock used. Mostly it is referred too in the singular "Lock" but does mention multiple times easily accessed. That could be defined by being able to pry an end of the case open. So integrity of the case is a important consideration. Or, multiple locks along the case. 

Roost 1

I've only flown once, last year to WA and back to KY. I made a post such as this, if you can search and find it, it has a lot of very good info.
I suggest buying the best case you can, I chose to buy a Pelican 1750 and tsa approved combo locks.
I suggest this because my brand new case after that 1 trip, looks anything but new now.
However my gun was very secure and like others have said I packed several clothes and other things in my case... Dave Owens made a good vidieo on this subject.

Good luck!!!

Tom007

Agreed. Some of us are putting very valuable guns in these cases. Skimping  on the quality and protection capabilities of your selected case will lead to damaged goods when you arrive. The ICC case I have is scratched, has small dings. It is made of aluminum and stainless steel. I could only imagine what my gun would have looked like in a lesser case. The case you purchase will last you a lifetime if you spend the money on a quality product. Good info here.....
"Solo hunter"

Roost 1

I bumped my post from year to the top... 4 pages of good info...
Link to Daves video is on page 4.