OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Want some new calls to try out this upcoming season  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Elidepew05

Want some new calls to try out this upcoming season
« on: January 05, 2022, 11:20:41 PM »
I have a primos box call and a wood haven ninja hammer looking for different calls to try for this upcoming season.

Offline hoythunter

Re: Want some new calls to try out this upcoming season
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 07:29:18 AM »
  A slate and or a glass call would be a good place to start.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 08:36:10 AM »
I’d definitely go pot call and if I only had one and/or was new to pots I’d definitely go slate. Easy to run. Easy to condition. Turkey as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 08:56:39 AM »
Agree on the recommendation for a pot call with a slate surface to start with.  In addition, try to pick up several strikers of varying construction and tip materials to find out what goes best with your pot call.  With any given pot call with any surface type, the striker combination you put with that call can be as important as the quality of the call itself.  Personally, I would rather have a single pot call with a dozen different striker combinations than a dozen pot calls with a single striker. 

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 08:57:06 AM »
A very under estimated killer call would be a quality push pin. Easy to run, mimics all the sounds of a hen. I always carry 2 of them. They make an unmatched fighting purr that gobblers can’t resist. Shannon Kelly, Mike Lapp, Loftus Chatterbox, Winky Hicks are a good list to start with. Many of them are unfortunately hard to get. Once you get a good one, you will see how well they work. Good luck, lots of great suggestions here….
“Solo hunter”

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »
I will go with ceramic pot over slate, reason why, early season in our area and cooler damp weather affect the slate's more. Good chose on the push pin's Tom007, i carry a push pin also in my bag of tricks from the ones you listed .

Offline Elidepew05

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 09:45:44 AM »
Any specific brands. Is woodhaven a good brand for the pot calls. Looked at gooserbat and also footondahead.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 09:56:14 AM »
Any specific brands. Is woodhaven a good brand for the pot calls. Looked at gooserbat and also footondahead.
Woodhaven makes great commercial calls. As does David Halloran. But I’d suggest going custom on a pot call. Pot calls are one of the places where you can get into some really nice custom calls for comparable prices to commercial calls. One, I’d keep an eye on the classifieds as some great calls come up often. Two, if I wanted to just flat order a call now to have ready by season I’d probably order one from Buster Halford.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 10:02:19 AM »
I will go with ceramic pot over slate, reason why, early season in our area and cooler damp weather affect the slate's more. Good chose on the push pin's Tom007, i carry a push pin also in my bag of tricks from the ones you listed .

Amen Greg, they are underrated my friend…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 12:27:22 PM »
Travis Wyatt would be another callmaker to check out for a pot. He makes an incredible slate and an incredible ceramic. He goes by twyatt on here.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 12:51:47 PM »
???????? Can somebody maybe tell him to get in touch with me.
[mention]twyatt [/mention]might see this and reach out on here but Buster is on Facebook, I think. You’d just have to shoot him a message on there. https://www.facebook.com/Busters-Custom-Calls-105203451060679/

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Want some new calls to try out this upcoming season
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 01:08:45 PM »
I looked on his fb page. Seems pretty dead. Hasn’t posted in 2022.
Buster’s there for sure. We ain’t even a week into 2022 and I don’t think he’s a big Facebooker. You’d just have to message him. But spoke to Travis and he’s got a couple slates and a ceramic he just finished. You might be able to talk him out of one of those. Mike Yingling also posted a couple nice green slates on here the other day and he makes a hell of a call too.

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 01:32:17 PM »
Buster will definitely respond to you in a day or two if you send him a message on FB. That's how most of the custom callmakers work these days. Remember that most of them have at least 1 full time job in addition to making turkey calls, so they don't always have the time to post the order they're completing (especially since 2022 is only 6 days old). Buster's also on the forum here and responds to PMs. I'd second Greg's suggestion of a ceramic call, it's completely weatherproof and the right one has an excellent old hen sound to it. Buster makes a good one, so does Andy Kaiser and Chad "Stumpy" Hutcheson. Get used to being on a waiting list though. If you want one in your hand tomorrow go to Cabelas, but if you can wait a month or two, message one of the custom guys and you'll get a much higher quality call for the same money.

For a new turkey hunter like yourself, I'll join in recommending a push-pin. However, I'd much sooner get a few strikers for the pot calls rather than spend more money on multiple pots. If you already have a mouth call, box and (presumably) you're buying a pot call, then get a few different strikers (JLH and callmakerman on the forum both make great ones) and learn how to use what you have. Buying more calls is a waste of money if you can't use the ones you already have.

Plenty of the old hunters went into the woods with one or two calls and killed more turkeys with them than most of us could dream of, because they knew how to call and more importantly, how to hunt.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 02:21:18 PM »
I absolutely love my Lights Out Custom Calls glass and slate pot calls. Absolutely killers (I couldn't even begin to count the number of gobblers that have been killed due to these)

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 04:30:18 PM »
Check and see if there will be a turkeyrama or a call show close to where you live.  If so go and play all kinds of calls and see what you like. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff