OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 1187 12 Gauge SPS-T 3" 21"

Started by RED NECK, January 05, 2022, 01:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I found the truglo ssx for the rem threads from the same place I bought my other one for my 835, I am debating on ordering it to try out.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

mrlongbeard

Great find. Awesome price too. I own several Greenleaf guns they are fetching a premium for sure these days. Congrats and enjoy.

RED NECK

This gun seems to have been manufactured in March of 1993. I was 13 that month & year. :drool:

RED NECK

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on January 07, 2022, 03:16:05 PM
I also have a 2004 Rem 1187 sp 23" 3.5" that I bought brand new in box in 2020,Its in Original Mossy oak break up.It shoots amazing patterns with longbeards and stock turkey choke.

I have these Rem chokes in my collection already-

-Carlson's Longbeard xr .660
-Primos tightwad .660
-Primos Tss Jellyhead .650
-Primos Jellyhead Maximum .660
-Remington Wingmaster Hd turkey/predator .670

and the original stock turkey choke that came with my Rem 1187 23" 3.5" that is not leaving my other gun.

I am going to try and find an original jellyhead tube. I had one years back and sold it with the gun and I haven't found one anywhere to replace it.

I finnaly did a little research on the choke that came with my 2004 1187 and its a .665 Remington Super Full, .665 seems to be the sweet spot for the Rem 12 gauges.

RED NECK

https://cartridgecollectors.org/content/catalogs/REMINGTON/1993-Rem-DuPont-Retail%20Catalog.pdf

I can remember reading through all these hunting magazines at this time,as It was the start of me hunting,as we had to be 12 to "hunt" and even though I had been hunting with my father since I was just a wee guy.1992-1994 were my first 3 years as my own hunter.

I would love to snag one of the 1187/870 in the SPS-BG Bottomland.

I think maybe I will start to turn my thoughts to a Remington old school "collection". It would actually be a little more challenging and a goal, I can't remember seeing a lot of these at gun shows the last decade but I do remember a few here and there and I never really paid much attention. I will now if we ever get back to life.

I am going to buy the original turkey choke this gun came with tonight,Its the same one that came with my 2004 model.I did get the ic choke but he gave the turkey choke to his grandkid a decade ago. Oh well,they are cheap, and work very well from my experiences.

Tom007

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on January 07, 2022, 11:24:47 PM
https://cartridgecollectors.org/content/catalogs/REMINGTON/1993-Rem-DuPont-Retail%20Catalog.pdf

I can remember reading through all these hunting magazines at this time,as It was the start of me hunting,as we had to be 12 to "hunt" and even though I had been hunting with my father since I was just a wee guy.1992-1994 were my first 3 years as my own hunter.

I would love to snag one of the 1187/870 in the SPS-BG Bottomland.

I think maybe I will start to turn my thoughts to a Remington old school "collection". It would actually be a little more challenging and a goal, I can't remember seeing a lot of these at gun shows the last decade but I do remember a few here and there and I never really paid much attention. I will now if we ever get back to life.

I am going to buy the original turkey choke this gun came with tonight,Its the same one that came with my 2004 model.I did get the ic choke but he gave the turkey choke to his grandkid a decade ago. Oh well,they are cheap, and work very well from my experiences.

It's an addicting obsession collecting the Old Remingtons. They are tough to come by, but they are out there. I really like the look and feel of the 870's. They are so well built, solid and when you pump one, you can feel the quality. Good luck in your search, you seem to find guns where you are easier than here. Your lucky. Be safe, send some pattern pics....
"Solo hunter"

RED NECK

Yes, I love collecting all turkey shotguns but looking for older and hard to find ones will make it even better as I'll actually check more little shops and little gun shows for them, and not really go looking for other ones.

I found and purchased an original jellyhead and I also have the original choke that this gun came with on the way. I will look for a new sling for this gun and my shopping for it should be complete. It won't be for a few months that I get out to shoot as I don't want to waste any ammo shooting in the middle of winter but I will post up pictures when I do.

mrlongbeard

Collecting turkey guns is truly addictive. I have been fortunate to have worked and with guys from all over the country who have helped locate some Old School Remingtons. I have quite an extensive collection now. I am at 62 turkey guns and buying more when the price or condition is right.
The majority of them are Remingtons but Beretta Benelli Franchi Winchester and Thompson Center are awesome guns as well. Beat of Luck to everyone on their searches for any and all guns they admire.

RED NECK

I am getting close to 50,I have never counted but I am going to say 46-50 by now. I have some,a lot that I may never hunt with, or hunt with again. I am not really buying them to hunt hard with them. I am doing it because I enjoy it, I am not buying them for any other reason.

I will hunt with every one of them, at least a few times. I have buddies who spend $15 000 every few years for a snowmobile and then drive it for 5 hours every winter. I don't feel bad with my hobbies. Life is short and I am going to enjoy it!

Tom007

Amen my friends, nothing wrong with our addicting collections......best of luck......
"Solo hunter"

RED NECK

I ended up ordering a few of these slings( Sims Vibration Kodiak Lt) the week I bought this gun, and I may pick up some fiber optic rifle sights in case the bead won't shoot poa/poi.

RED NECK

The slings are not quick detach like the others I purchased in the past but I do like the way they fit me, I just installed one yesterday.

RED NECK

I am going this afternoon to shoot and pattern this gun,If it will not shoot bead to poa then I am going to attach a set of truglo fiber optic sights.

I also purchased a 2nd identical gun about 10 minutes ago, in excellent shape, for 35 dollars cheaper than I bought the first one. This one is a gift for my Father though and will ship Monday, I should have it mid to late next week. I wasn't passing it up, he listed it last night and I sent him a message that I would buy it, got up at 6am to a reply of "Yes, you were the 1st reply, and the only one not to lowball" I don't dicker If it's a fair price, It was a great price. I spoke with the older man on phone at 6am and then sent payment.

RED NECK

I will be shooting....

-Hevi 3" #6
-Hevi 3" Mag blend
-Federal 3" 3rd degree(new) 5-6-7
-Federal 3" Grandslam #5
-Browning 3" bxd #4
-Federal 3" #7 tss
-Winchester Longbeard 3" #6
-Winchester Double xx 3" #5

Well, thats what I am taking with me, I may not shoot everything because If I can get it to shoot #7 tss well from one of the handful of chokes, I will shoot them, so I don't feel like I wasted my money on the 6 I have left but I am open to shooting any of them if I get a pattern I like, from a yardage I choose.

I am going to wait until around 2ish when it's warm, or should I say, not freezing cold to shoot today.

Tom007

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 02, 2022, 06:55:51 AM
I am going this afternoon to shoot and pattern this gun,If it will not shoot bead to poa then I am going to attach a set of truglo fiber optic sights.

I also purchased a 2nd identical gun about 10 minutes ago, in excellent shape, for 35 dollars cheaper than I bought the first one. This one is a gift for my Father though and will ship Monday, I should have it mid to late next week. I wasn't passing it up, he listed it last night and I sent him a message that I would buy it, got up at 6am to a reply of "Yes, you were the 1st reply, and the only one not to lowball" I don't dicker If it's a fair price, It was a great price. I spoke with the older man on phone at 6am and then sent payment.

Great price, great find. Your dad will love it, nice gesture. A real classic Turkey gun...
"Solo hunter"