OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tree Yelper Plans

Started by Seth41, November 27, 2021, 05:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth41

Basic tree Yelper specs.  A good starting place.  Seth
Seth Hamon
2024 Grand Nationals 1st Trumpet Tom Turpin Award
2024 Grand Nationals 2nd 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals 5th Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals - 2nd - Jordan Yelper
2023 Grand Nationals 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Grand Nationals 3rd Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2022 Buckeye World 1st & 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Buckeye Worlds 2nd Trumpet Hunting

mmclain

What brings you to that conclusion. 

callmakerman

Why wouldn't it be? Turpin did it with a crow call barrel, wing bone and a cork. Everything has a starting point.

mmclain

Just wondering.  What brought that conclusion as a starting point. 

Seth41

Quote from: mmclain on November 29, 2021, 10:27:59 PM
Just wondering.  What brought that conclusion as a starting point.

That's a really good question.  The short answer is it's based on an old Tree Yelper in my collection that has a really nice tone.  Interestingly it's also extremely close to the Turpin plans/drawings of his Tree Yelper, so close so that it could almost be the same specs except the wingbone itself is longer in the Turpin drawing if I remember correctly.  As a career woodwind instrument builder who has been designing woodwind instruments for almost 3 decades I can say that a good starting place and some prototyping to improve and make it your own is easily obtainable with some work although this design works fine as is and is based on a proven call design.  For those who like to experiment and who understand pitch variations in bore design and how to alter it to get the pitch, tone, and volume your after, sky is the limit.  Those that know me will tell you I'm always changing and experimenting with instrument designs, almost obsessively at times to perfect a design.  So much can be done with simply changing bore sizes, taper rate, back pressures, and adjusting lengths.  This call could be made several different ways/bores with all tuning at or around the same hertz which for most air calls seems to be around F#5 to G5 @ A-440hz.  This design works just fine but experimenting and making it your own is always recommended.  Probably more of an explanation than you were after.

Seth
Seth Hamon
2024 Grand Nationals 1st Trumpet Tom Turpin Award
2024 Grand Nationals 2nd 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals 5th Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals - 2nd - Jordan Yelper
2023 Grand Nationals 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Grand Nationals 3rd Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2022 Buckeye World 1st & 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Buckeye Worlds 2nd Trumpet Hunting

GobbleGitr

Love seeing the creative process

EZ

I take gobbler radius's and stick them in spent shotgun shells with the primer knocked out. Give those out to kids at shows, but they make one heck of a tree yelper.