turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

High build fishing rod finish ?

Started by Chustzc, September 03, 2021, 10:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chustzc

Has anyone used a high build rod thread epoxy to finish a call? If they use it on fishing rods can you use it in a call ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Mississippi call makers 1st place trumpet
2021 Mississippi call makers 3rd place trumpet

mmclain

Ya you can.   Personally I don't like it. 

Seth41

Quote from: Chustzc on September 03, 2021, 10:44:04 AM
Has anyone used a high build rod thread epoxy to finish a call? If they use it on fishing rods can you use it in a call ?

A hard finish such as a rod epoxy tends to make the wood look plasticky and can take away some of the visual beauty and feel of the wood.  A shellac based friction polish is what I've used for the past 20 years.  It's a popular finish with flute, bagpipe, Bombard, oboe, and other woodwind instruments made of fine tonewoods.  I've converted several call makers already who have asked how I obtain the finish I get on my calls and musical instruments.  Hard finishes are nice for grain filled woods on projects like luthier work, etc.  The only time I use a hard finish is when building Irish button concertinas.  I'll Send you a PM of what I and now several others are using.

Seth
Seth Hamon
2024 Grand Nationals 1st Trumpet Tom Turpin Award
2024 Grand Nationals 2nd 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals 5th Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals - 2nd - Jordan Yelper
2023 Grand Nationals 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Grand Nationals 3rd Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2022 Buckeye World 1st & 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Buckeye Worlds 2nd Trumpet Hunting

mastevt

Quote from: Seth41 on December 23, 2021, 11:43:20 PM
Quote from: Chustzc on September 03, 2021, 10:44:04 AM

A hard finish such as a rod epoxy tends to make the wood look plasticky and can take away some of the visual beauty and feel of the wood.  A shellac based friction polish is what I've used for the past 20 years.  It's a popular finish with flute, bagpipe, Bombard, oboe, and other woodwind instruments made of fine tonewoods.  I've converted several call makers already who have asked how I obtain the finish I get on my calls and musical instruments.  Hard finishes are nice for grain filled woods on projects like luthier work, etc.  The only time I use a hard finish is when building Irish button concertinas.  I'll Send you a PM of what I and now several others are using.

Seth
If you have heard of Andy Snair?  He uses it quite a bit.  I myself have used it on a Turtle shell call I built for myself.  I guess it's all about what you want for an end result.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

mikejd

Rod building epoxy is designed to be turned while drying in order for it to level properly. I would assume on a call it would make for some very uneven work. I do not know from experience as I do not build calls however I do build fishing rods.

mastevt

You are correct!  I have built a special turn table just for this application.

Here are a few I did for a good customer.
Made from Buffalo Horn

mikejd

They look great. I would be interested in seeing some pics of the turn table.

Im sure something could be made with a grill rotisserie.

mastevt

Yes.  Mine is built with a grille rotisserie.   I'll post a pick of it after I get off work later today.

mastevt

This is my turntable. 
Nothing fancy.  But gets the job done.

mikejd

neat idea. That will get it done. Thanks for the pic.

EZ

I just use a modified fishing rod turner for wingbones and Jordans.