OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Striker tip angle?  (Read 3871 times)

Offline suzukigs750ez

Striker tip angle?
« on: January 04, 2022, 09:12:01 PM »
Hey guys. I bought a crystal mistress from David halloran and it came with two strikers. I can’t seem to get them to do anything but squeak. I tried rounding them, flattening them and a combination of the two. What’s a good angle for striker tips?

Offline mmclain

Re: Striker tip angle?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 09:13:44 PM »
Are you holding too low on the striker. 

Offline suzukigs750ez

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 09:15:14 PM »
Maybe halfway up?

Offline suzukigs750ez

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 09:16:52 PM »
Do they work better fully rounded? Fully flat? Polished? 80 grit?

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 09:20:14 PM »
i like them rounded maybe try  condition the call  ,, on the tip of striker would try a 150 grit paper  depending on wood types strikers are   if glass call try hiting it with 80 grit
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 09:41:35 PM »
I prefer to dress the glass/crystal with a stone.  Rounded tip on the striker.  Everyone has different holds and angles.  Just try and find what works best and practice consistency with that.  Don't be afraid to play thru the dust after dressing the glass.  It helps with the striker movement.

Here's a video of one of mine.
https://youtu.be/jvNMmQqrCsI

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 09:57:11 PM »
it should have played right out of the box..if you got the call from your mail box and it was cold and then brought it in your house and it was warm to might be the cause but some sand paper on call and striker should fix it..

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Striker tip angle?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 07:03:43 PM »
I can’t imagine any of Halloran’s strikers needing much more work than scotchbrite. Also can’t imagine any of his glass calls needing conditioning right out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 08:01:19 PM »
I can’t imagine any of Halloran’s strikers needing much more work than scotchbrite. Also can’t imagine any of his glass calls needing conditioning right out of the box.

I agree with you 100 percent , if he's already sandpapering those strikers, more than likely he has bigger problems...

Offline suzukigs750ez

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 08:14:59 PM »
It’s not something I can’t reverse with quick sanding. By flattening the tip I just mean I took the round bottom off. When I first got the call it sounded great. Now, all I seem to get is squeaks and high pitched yelps. I’ve conditioned the call and striker tips and tried to change the striker tips slightly. At first I thought it was the moisture in the air when hunting but playing it at home it sounds the same.

Offline mmclain

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 08:29:28 PM »
Wood has cupped.  The surface isn’t making contact with the wood properly

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 08:42:39 PM »
It’s not something I can’t reverse with quick sanding. By flattening the tip I just mean I took the round bottom off. When I first got the call it sounded great. Now, all I seem to get is squeaks and high pitched yelps. I’ve conditioned the call and striker tips and tried to change the striker tips slightly. At first I thought it was the moisture in the air when hunting but playing it at home it sounds the same.
  ... No reason for you to take those strikers and sand on them like that, David makes some fine strikers and the strikers weren't your problem  ... now you have some missed up strikers in my opinion.. I've been using strikers for years and all i do is rub the end on a piece Scotch brite if needed. All your doing with the Scotch brite is cleaning the tip. I have never sanded one to change the striker. Good luck

Offline suzukigs750ez

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 09:09:38 PM »
 :blob10:

This is why I thought reshaping the tips would help… I can always buy new strikers. This issue arose Before I decided to be a rebel and sand them. I can get sound out of the call but it’s very high pitched and or squeaky. Before this issue it has a VERY nice sound to it. I’m stumped.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 09:35:20 PM »
:blob10:

This is why I thought reshaping the tips would help… I can always buy new strikers. This issue arose Before I decided to be a rebel and sand them. I can get sound out of the call but it’s very high pitched and or squeaky. Before this issue it has a VERY nice sound to it. I’m stumped.
Did you ever use just straight green scotchbrite on them when the sound changed or did you move straight to altering them?

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 10:03:18 PM »

If you "flatten" the tip, you will have shortened the striker which will change the tuning of it. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.