only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Canned Turkey

Started by ChesterCopperpot, January 03, 2022, 11:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 29, 2022, 06:06:16 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 29, 2022, 05:18:23 PM
I was just going to ask if you could do that, thanks.
If you can the legs like I'm saying, it's the same as dry packing raw meat as far as time (90mins at pressure for quarts), but I'd suggest leaving the meat a little lower in the jar and filling with broth a good inch to inch and a half above it. Turkeys legs have a tendency to be so dry they kind of soak it up and reconstitute when you can it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you much for the advice, I think I would try the same with the wings as well. Now I just have to get one.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 29, 2022, 06:22:52 PM
Thank you much for the advice, I think I would try the same with the wings as well. Now I just have to get one.
The wings would can great. And honestly if you left out the troublesome drumstick and just worked with the thighs, you could debone the wings and debone the thighs and dry pack them raw just like the breasts.

ChesterCopperpot

I got to looking when I put them legs up and there ain't much I hunt that I ain't got canned. From left to right it goes wild turkey breast, wild hog, whitetail deer, black bear, squirrel canned with chiles and onion, and wild turkey legs canned with mushrooms and onion. Going to can some trout this week for patties.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 30, 2022, 09:14:21 AM
I got to looking when I put them legs up and there ain't much I hunt that I ain't got canned. From left to right it goes wild turkey breast, wild hog, whitetail deer, black bear, squirrel canned with chiles and onion, and wild turkey legs canned with mushrooms and onion. Going to can some trout this week for patties.

I do not have a lot of experience with canning but know I could borrow a pressure cooker from my Deacon to do meats, he and his now deceased wife used to can all their deer so I am sure I could get some advise from him on how to do it. Used to help can jams, tomatoes and so on when I was young. Oh and zucchini relish, loved it!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 30, 2022, 10:41:30 AM
I do not have a lot of experience with canning but know I could borrow a pressure cooker from my Deacon to do meats, he and his now deceased wife used to can all their deer so I am sure I could get some advise from him on how to do it. Used to help can jams, tomatoes and so on when I was young. Oh and zucchini relish, loved it!
Bet he'd enjoy sharing that knowledge with you, especially if his wife's no longer around. Two places canning really shines is with meats that have the potential to carry trich (bears and hogs, but especially bears), and meats that are tough to begin with (i.e. turkeys). You do it all exactly the same so once you've done it once you'll have it down. Just always leave a good amount of head space, especially if it something that's already cooked and being covered with broth.

crow

Our canners recipe book actually had bear listed in it, thought that was cool with the way things are

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 30, 2022, 11:36:52 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 30, 2022, 10:41:30 AM
Bet he'd enjoy sharing that knowledge with you, especially if his wife's no longer around. Two places canning really shines is with meats that have the potential to carry trich (bears and hogs, but especially bears), and meats that are tough to begin with (i.e. turkeys). You do it all exactly the same so once you've done it once you'll have it down. Just always leave a good amount of head space, especially if it something that's already cooked and being covered with broth.

Thank you much, I am sure he would, he is a good guy, miss his wife a lot, some of the truest examples of real Christians that I have ever met, would give you the shirts off their backs if you needed it. I miss her quite a bit, one of the few people I truly enjoyed being around, loved God, her husband, her kids and grand kids dearly. Nothing but respect for both of them.

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

In my part of the world jar canning of meat just wasn't passed down or done... Most everything in my area was mostly salted or freshly killed ... We had fried chicken just about every Sunday after church.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 01, 2022, 06:47:51 PM
In my part of the world jar canning of meat just wasn't passed down or done... Most everything in my area was mostly salted or freshly killed ... We had fried chicken just about every Sunday after church.
I had never heard of it till I moved here myself, but it is pretty good.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

John Koenig:

Zobo

Those filled jars are awesome! The sight of your pantry would give a vegan cardiac arrest! But seriously I like that you're using a lot of what is generally considered the less desirable cuts too. It's  such a great way to show full respect for the animals we kill. Thanks for sharing it. It's definitely on my radar to try it at some point, I just want to make sure I don't blow up the kitchen!

PS: I'm relieved that this post is about canning turkey for food and not a canned hunt for turkeys which is what I originally thought!!!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Zobo on June 01, 2022, 10:14:20 PM

PS: I'm relieved that this post is about canning turkey for food and not a canned hunt for turkeys which is what I originally thought!!!
I thought the same thing when I first read the title.

John Koenig: