OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New to box calls, what’s good and available at Cabela’s?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: New to box calls, what’s good and available at Cabela’s?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 03:17:29 PM »
I guess i need to ask you, have you ever turkey hunted? We have given you examples of calls to buy and builders to talk with about boxes. Boot's on the ground and spending time in the woods trying to kill a gobbler is the best learning experience, you learn from your mistakes. Yes different wood combo can play and sound different. What i gave you either walnut cedar, walnut poplar, walnut mahogany, bloodwood black limba are some good starter combo's .. gobbler or jake yelps can be used anytime, just depends on the mood of the gobbler your trying to work...It's all about learning from your mistakes, that how most all of us have learned to call gobblers. As you know first you have got to have gobblers to hunt that's a good starting point.   You don't have to be a great caller or a good caller, you just have to learn cadence and know when and how much to call and stop calling.  Being still and patience's has killed a lot of gobblers. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 05:45:14 PM by Greg Massey »

Offline suzukigs750ez

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2022, 04:37:37 PM »
I have hunted and harvested a Turkey this year, my first season. I do understand cadence but will admit I don’t know when to use certain calls in the situation. I got lucky my first time I think. I’ve listened to sound clips and watched videos and can imitate them but I’d like to understand more about “the language”. As far as the wood is concerned, I’ve not had many calls through my hands. I owned a Quaker boy slate as a young boy and currently own a halloran crystal mistress. I keep trying with diaphragm calls but I’m terrible. I’ve always been interested in box calls. I may seem like I’m asking questions that have been answered but I’m just asking for more elaboration on the question for my own knowledge.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2022, 05:49:19 PM »
I have hunted and harvested a Turkey this year, my first season. I do understand cadence but will admit I don’t know when to use certain calls in the situation. I got lucky my first time I think. I’ve listened to sound clips and watched videos and can imitate them but I’d like to understand more about “the language”. As far as the wood is concerned, I’ve not had many calls through my hands. I owned a Quaker boy slate as a young boy and currently own a halloran crystal mistress. I keep trying with diaphragm calls but I’m terrible. I’ve always been interested in box calls. I may seem like I’m asking questions that have been answered but I’m just asking for more elaboration on the question for my own knowledge.
  If i were you go to Learning to turkey hunt on the forum and start you a post and ask questions, i think you will get more help and opinions on that part of the forum.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 05:52:45 PM »
Looking over the Cabelas box call inventory online, I can see how the selection process could be overwhelming to someone who is relatively new to turkey hunting.  In answer to your one question about spring vs fall hunting, the general turkey sounds are the same, but you have to adjust somewhat in what you are saying and who you are saying it to.  That is a topic for a different discussion.

As far as those production calls you will find at Cabelas, they are a crapshoot as to what you might get.  I suspect a randomly picked-up call from just about any of the brands you see there could call turkeys...and especially when put in the hands of someone who knows how to run a box, and also tune one. 

Having said that, some of the best sounding calls I personally have heard have been inexpensive production calls.  Sticking with the premise that you want to buy a box call with your gift card: Of the brands I see there, Redhead comes to mind as a call that seems to have a following, but I am sure the same could be said for several of the others.  Prefacing this recommendation by stating that I really have no clue, if I was to eeny-meeny-miney-mo a call I see there, it would probably be the Redhead Ozark Bottom Brazilian Cherry and Butternut...mainly because I like the name and the way it looks.  How it might sound is anybody's guess...   ;D ;) :)

Offline suzukigs750ez

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2022, 08:54:28 AM »
Well, you guys talked me into it... I haven't gotten bad advice from you all yet.
I ordered a Paul's call prestige field call walnut over butternut.

Offline Ol Yelper

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2022, 09:49:51 PM »
Great choice. Mr. Paul builds an excellent box and the choice of woods is hard to beat. Good luck with it!

Online Nathan_Wiles

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 09:54:54 PM »
There is a big difference between the boxes hand made by call makers and what can be bought at a box store but...if you're looking for very serviceable box call any of the Primos boxes are great. I own several and they work. Practice with it til you can run it by feel and it sounds like a hen turkey.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2022, 10:09:30 PM »
you will be very pleased with Mr. Paul call! It's a call you can live your grandkids and they will still be killing then with it!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2022, 11:57:19 PM »
He was to humble to toot his own horn but Mike from Spring Creek Calls makes a nice box call as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2022, 10:01:57 AM »
I work for Cabela's and yes the selection can be overwhelming for someone new to box calls. I also have custom calls from call makers mentioned. That said, my first box call was a Lynch world champion that I learned on and I can tell you I killed a lot of birds with that call. It's retired now as a keepsake and worn. If you can find one at Cabelas and can use your gift card, get one. You can gobble easily with that call if need be to challenge birds but please keep safety in mind. It also is a good price point. Then if you get comfortable with that box and like using one I strongly suggest moving up and buying a custom box from one of the call makers mentioned, they are good guys to work with and make some great calls...

Online Ranger

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2022, 12:08:55 PM »
The Lynch call has probably been the death of more turkeys than all the other makers combined, price and availability one reason and another is they've been around for decades.... and for being new is probably exactly what you need.  And while a call from one of the makers suggested are all phenomenal, you being new it's kind of like buying a Martin guitar when you only know a few chords. Its fine, but sometimes the hunter and the call can be in different leagues. 
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2022, 01:11:04 PM »
 If he buy's a call like a lynch or whatever he is pretty much stuck with that call , sure in the old day'd Lynch and Quaker Boy calls did kill a lot of turkeys that being said, him buying a call from Albert Paul is a great investment.If he decides a box call is something he doesn't care for he will pretty much get his return investment back from the custom Albert Paul... For the money he chose a great call maker and a good box to start out with in my opinion.

Offline wolfman

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 05:10:26 PM »
Well, you guys talked me into it... I haven't gotten bad advice from you all yet.
I ordered a Paul's call prestige field call walnut over butternut.
You just got a fantastic turkey call.  When you asked your original question I thought "Lynch". 

As others have said, Spring Creek can set you up with a fine call.  I'll add Fred Cox at Grand Slam Calls as someone who makes quality calls at affordable prices. 

Offline suzukigs750ez

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2022, 08:15:29 PM »
While I’m still super new to Turkey hunting I see myself sticking with it well into the future. I’m trying to invest in quality stuff that I can make memories with. I much prefer a call made by somebody who cares about their craft over something pumped out in a factory. The wait time is perfect. I ordered a holster from Yoder.

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • It's about the journey, not the outcome
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2022, 12:20:10 AM »
You definatly won't regret your decision!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14