OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey Ammo  (Read 9519 times)

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Turkey Ammo
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2022, 10:37:17 AM »
Spend some time yesterday visiting couple family owned gun stores yesterday and found one that had a few boxes of Hevi-13 / 20 gauge 7 shot on the shelf along with some number 6 shot, they also had few left in 12 ga of these type shells, i bought all of the Hevi - 13 / 20 gauge 7 shot they had left. They also had few Long beards in 20 gauge number 5 shot and several boxes of Mag-blend shells in both 12 and 20 ga.. it was a good find yesterday..

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2022, 10:52:39 AM »
I have been lucky, I buy in bulk when I find it and I found a small shop that carries some of the newer tss choices that I could not find here in Ontario. I budget myself to approx $1000 a year for ammo, I don't use a lot on the rifle or muzzleloader budget so I end up spending 95% of it on waterfowl and turkey shells and I have about $750 more to play with.

I have a list for turkey shells and I have already started to purchase. I always hoard it as well, so that I am never in need, or stuck without something. If people get offended by that, I have an easy fix for them, buy your ammo sooner. I know I was years trying to find ammunition that i wanted and never could find it, mainly because It was not imported or carried here in Ontario. I decided quickly when It started to flow in to hoard it.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2022, 11:36:35 AM »
 Heartbreak...I gasped at your 1K budget thinking that was a lot of ammo. Then I got to thinking, I bought 2 bricks of Lapua Xact 22 long rifle, 1 brick of Lapua Center X and one box of 25 TSS this year. That was a over 1K, man it adds up fast!

22 ammo is hard to find if you want a specific round, just like all others.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2022, 11:37:19 AM »
Hoard sounds so bad.  How about "planning ahead"?   ;D
I have been lucky, I buy in bulk when I find it and I found a small shop that carries some of the newer tss choices that I could not find here in Ontario. I budget myself to approx $1000 a year for ammo, I don't use a lot on the rifle or muzzleloader budget so I end up spending 95% of it on waterfowl and turkey shells and I have about $750 more to play with.

I have a list for turkey shells and I have already started to purchase. I always hoard it as well, so that I am never in need, or stuck without something. If people get offended by that, I have an easy fix for them, buy your ammo sooner. I know I was years trying to find ammunition that i wanted and never could find it, mainly because It was not imported or carried here in Ontario. I decided quickly when It started to flow in to hoard it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2022, 11:52:23 AM »
I am planning ahead for sure, when I first could locate Federal tss 7's for the 20 gauge it was 44.99 for 5 . I am now paying $56.99 to 64.99 a box. I probably shot $600 worth of tss last spring pissing around and patterning a handful of 20 gauge guns. I decided a few years ago to write down every gun,choke and shell I pattern, to what distance,which optic etc. I am never going to do that again with tss ammo, once I get a 20 gauge setup now with the expensive shells, I have all my notes and go from there.

It's so cheap with 12's because I tried tss and until we can shoot 9's, I am not buying anymore tss as I will just use longbeard or a little hevi shot.

If I didn't love to do it, I wouldnt. I remember when I was happy to buy a box of shells every year and my tags, as I have gotten older,settled and setup in life, my hobbies and interests have evolved into turkey guns,chokes,ammo and vests. I would love to be going on more trips in the next decade with my father,hopefully when all this covid chit gets sorted out,we can.

It was fishing lures when I guided, and I had as much tackle and rod/reels as some shops, and yet, used only a dozen or so lures 97% of the time. It was incredible when I sold the majority of it when I left that world behind me. All the guides were the same, to live that life you have to be a die hard fisherman, what an experience those years left imprinted in me. All the different people I met from all over North America, the times laughing, cursing, the food at shore lunches,  and the memories of seeing places all over Canada that I would have never seen or experinced if I hadn't made that decision to travel in my 20's.

We all have vices, I have learned to enjoy life and indulge in what you love to do because someday, there won't be anymore mornings in the turkey woods, or flipping the chug bug at dusk just beyond the lily pads and the brush, waiting on that giant swirl.....

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2022, 02:59:00 PM »
 So true! I go and punch holes in paper with my 22 just to see how small of a hole I can make. It costs money.

Yes, it will get more expensive if they make legal the #9's and you start hunting with the 12 gauge. The price in those shells is the shot itself, I push 2 5/8 oz of shot at each pull of the trigger with my 10g. It ain't cheap. But, it sure is fun!!!

Online nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2022, 08:49:47 AM »
Ive got some hevishot turkey loads in both 12 and 20 that I would sell.

Offline FLTurkHntr

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2022, 09:04:10 PM »
Basspro in Ft. Myers had some Longbeard XR 5’s last Sunday. $25/10.

Offline Genehalteman

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2022, 02:38:13 PM »
I ordered 2 boxes of 12 gauge  Winchester LBXR Magnum #6  2 weeks ago from Macks Prairie Wings. Best patterning lead out of my Girsan MC312.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2022, 10:23:56 PM »
Dear ......,

Right now, orders are experiencing a delay.

You are looking at roughly a week to two before going out.

Best Regards,

That is the email I received after checking the shop where I buy some of my turkey shells. I think I will wait a few more weeks to order as It's always in stock here.

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2022, 01:07:19 AM »
  I am going on the Turkey Ammo search this Saturday.  I will take any brand in #4s or 5s. Not picky anymore when you can't  find much Ammo or the shipment that just came in is long gone..

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2022, 04:30:04 PM »
I have been looking for months for Federal or Browning .410 TSS loads to purchase over the counter locally.  Finally found some Federals last week at my favorite LGS.  I bought as many as I could afford as I am sure they will not last long.  They ran out last spring.  I may go back and buy some more in the near future.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Wvdanimal

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2022, 06:49:14 PM »
This is why you go big when you find the right deal, just like the stock market.   I bought 30 boxes federal #9 TSS at $20 each.  All this while I still had a dozen bxs hevi's on the shelf that I stole at about $12 a bx.  That's not hoarding, it's buying smart and staying prepared.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2022, 07:22:17 PM »
If folks can’t find anything I’ve got some Winchester LB 12ga #5 and 20ga #6, and some Winchester Double X 20ga #5 I’d get rid of if you get in a bind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2022, 07:30:16 PM »
If folks can’t find anything I’ve got some Winchester LB 12ga #5 and 20ga #6, and some Winchester Double X 20ga #5 I’d get rid of if you get in a bind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice gesture Dave……
“Solo hunter”