turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Ammo

Started by Greg Massey, January 01, 2022, 10:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

We just started getting in a few boxes at the store, Had some 12ga TSS, Remington Nitro loads and Federal 3rd Degree. but that's been it.

I was lucky enough to secure enough boxes of "my" turkey loads and deer ammo to last me for years, I work in the industry and when I seen this shortage coming I started stocking up on what I use. I did buy a new 20ga turkey gun last spring for some youth hunters, did get a box of LB's but the gun patterns better with Federal Premium Prairie Storm Ammunition 20 Gauge Nickel Plated Shot. I have a couple of boxes of that.

MK M GOBL

Mossberg90MN

I'm not sure how it's gonna be this year, it seems like it's gets a little better every year. Less people panic buying... supply chains and labor are probably still cut short.

Luckily I do always buy a box or 2 extra every season.

Then I also have back up 2nd choice ammo.

And then I also have a bare minimum ammo.

Tom007

I'm pretty sure unless we all miss a few hundred birds or MORE we will all be ok?  :fud:
"Solo hunter"

Turkeytider

With my self-imposed one bird per season limit and at 74, I have enough #6 3" 12 gauge Hevi-13 to last the rest of my turkey hunting career. They don`t make that anymore.

Tom007

Quote from: Turkeytider on January 02, 2022, 09:24:03 AM
With my self-imposed one bird per season limit and at 74, I have enough #6 3" 12 gauge Hevi-13 to last the rest of my turkey hunting career. They don`t make that anymore.

Wish they still made it...... :blob10:
"Solo hunter"

the Ward

I have enough 10 and 12 gauge turkey ammo to pretty much last me for a really long time, if not for life.Prior to the rice rabies outbreak and election, they were practically giving ammo away. I would buy a box or two of ammo for different guns every time  there was a decent sale going on. Now i am glad i did! The only stuff i am short on is 30-30, but have enough to hunt with for a few seasons at least. I am surprised at the shotgun shell shortage though, it was always rifle and pistol ammo that disappeared first. But then again, this isn't normal election year panic buying by hoarders that are never going to shoot the ammo they stockpiled. The whole production/ supply system ground to a halt. I don't foresee any return to ammo being as cheap or available as it was pre-covid. The ammo companies have been  bought  up and it's going to be turned into a monopoly controlled by a couple of conglomerates. Some have already announced price increases of 3-5% coming this year. Couple that with runaway inflation and stagnant wages, and an influx of 10's of thousands of low skilled labor/ parasites illegally invading our country driving down wages, we are all in for a rough financial ride from here on out. I guess we will all have to become better shots, "get as close as you can laddie, then get a wee bit closer" adage will ring truer than ever!

the Ward

I have seen quite a bit of 20 gauge Longbeard still on the shelves at a few places. Not seeing much 12 gauge turkey ammo, and no .410 at all locally.

Happy

I am down to my last shell. It's a goody though. Been hanging onto it in case one hangs up at 41 yards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tom007

Quote from: Happy on January 02, 2022, 01:24:19 PM
I am down to my last shell. It's a goody though. Been hanging onto it in case one hangs up at 41 yards.

Nice. If you hit him with that, he won't flop, I'm sure......lol :funnyturkey:
"Solo hunter"

Happy

Pretty sure if I touch that shell off I won't flop either.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spitten and drummen

I have 2 lifetime supplies of loading components for 20ga and 410 turkey loads.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on January 02, 2022, 02:43:19 PM
I have 2 lifetime supplies of loading components for 20ga and 410 turkey loads.
That's awesome... problem is mostly field loads and most factory turkey loads. Hard to fine field loads in 20 ga and 410 in my area.

WV Flopper

I need/want some 3" lead #6 .410 shells. I haven't seen any for some time. Looked today at Midway and MPW's and they just ain't there.

I have a few of them, but if the rabbits really get to running I will shoot TSS. At least you can buy them. Maybe I will contact Nitro and see if they will load me some standard lead 410 shells. Shipping of 16$ a box is more than I would have paid for a box a few years ago.

30_06

I just bought all that I should need for this upcoming year. I'll  be on the lookout for the following year/years as we continue.

Esse quam videri

crow

Quote from: Happy on January 02, 2022, 01:24:19 PM

If thats TSS I think your overdoing it a little