OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your most expensive call

Started by ChesterCopperpot, December 31, 2021, 08:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Was adding a few new calls to my spreadsheet where I keep up with when I got calls, what they're made from, how much I paid, etc. and got to looking at some of the prices I've paid through the years, some great deals and some bad ones, but it got me wondering about the most I'd ever paid for a call. Most I've ever paid was $425 and I'd say that one was worth every penny. What's the most you've ever paid for a call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Not even half that. I don't collect or trade calls personally. I either hunt them or give them away. But everyone has their thing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Yoder409

The most expensive calls I have are the ones with sentimental value.  You couldn't buy them at any price.

I'm assuming, though, that the actual question is most I've ever paid to buy a call............  $750.   Only reasons I'd pay that kind of money would be that the call has significant historical value AND if I needed to, I could ALWAYS get my money back out of it.  Both of those are the case with that call.

With the SERIOUS collectors paying deep 5-figures for some of the iconic stuff............. I don't feel so bad.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

NCL

Greg Massey

The grand total of my collection is the most expensive ... LOL... I have enjoyed ever minute of putting my collection together.

Yoder409

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 31, 2021, 10:12:51 AM
The grand total of my collection is the most expensive ... LOL... I have enjoyed ever minute of putting my collection together.

I hear ya !!!

I never had anywhere to display my calls, before.  Just this past week I began getting my accumulation out of the Rubbermaid totes I was storing stuff in as I got it.  I had NO CLUE what my accumulation of calls had become...........until I had them mostly all out.  I've got a problem.................   :z-dizzy:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Happy on December 31, 2021, 08:34:41 AM
Not even half that. I don't collect or trade calls personally. I either hunt them or give them away. But everyone has their thing.

Same here.  Never got into the call collecting business, but to each their own.   If I am going to spend several hundred dollars for something related to turkey hunting, it is going to be for a spring gobbler license somewhere and for gas to get there.  To answer the question: I think I paid close to $30 for a call once,...but I was gritting my teeth to do it.   :angel9: ;D

THattaway

$100 or so. I don't collect them beyond for use with plans to bloody them, but have enough to be embarrassed by it. I've got a few that I wouldn't sell for $10k, sentimental from use or from folks I think a lot of.  I don't knock anyone for collecting them for the sake of collecting.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Greg Massey

Quote from: Yoder409 on December 31, 2021, 10:23:19 AM

I hear ya !!!

I never had anywhere to display my calls, before.  Just this past week I began getting my accumulation out of the Rubbermaid totes I was storing stuff in as I got it.  I had NO CLUE what my accumulation of calls had become...........until I had them mostly all out.  I've got a problem.................   :z-dizzy:
Yoder409 .. I've gotten to meet some awesome call builders while putting this collection together and have made friends with all of them some in person and some by chatting with them on the phone. Great Memories for sure. Looking forward to 2022.. Sometimes it's hard putting a price on a collection, because i can pickup and play a call from some of the best call builders in the business which in my opinion is priceless sometimes, the different woods, combo's and sounds, it's like trying to realize what hen sounds that builder hears in building a call ... History is also important part of all my collection.

Greg Massey

I will add, I've got some strikers, that are from pass builder's and those who are still living that are another part of call collecting and playing in the spring turkey woods. Some great strikers that make calls come alive, just another part of enjoying my calls and killing gobblers ...

Yoder409

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 31, 2021, 10:45:42 AM
Quote from: Yoder409 on December 31, 2021, 10:23:19 AM

I hear ya !!!

Yoder409 .. I've gotten to meet some awesome call builders while putting this collection together and have made friends with all of them some in person and some by chatting with them on the phone. Great Memories for sure. Looking forward to 2022.. Sometimes it's hard putting a price on a collection, because i can pickup and play a call from some of the best call builders in the business which in my opinion is priceless sometimes, the different woods, combo's and sounds, it's like trying to realize what hen sounds that builder hears in building a call ... History is also important part of all my collection.

All of that !!!

I've also made some very good friends along the way.........call makers.........collectors........SERIOUS collectors........   I've discovered that, to a person, they have ALL been some of the most salt-of-the-earth people you'll meet.

I am 99.9% a box call guy.  To me, they are just such an incredible musical instrument.  If there was a day in the last 20 years that I didn't pick up a box and run it, I was probably either on vacation or in the hospital.

As far as "value"............. Monetary value is most accurately determined by (like it or not) eBay.  ALL the collectors watch it like a hawk.  As for personal value......... THAT'S where it's at for me.  The art and the craftsmanship of a fine custom.  The history of a vintage production call.  The sentimentality of a gifted call or one that was your dad's, etc........   
PA elitist since 1979

packmule

$350 is the most I've spent for a single call followed by some $250s. Funny thing is the very best calls I've purchased have been in the $40-$125 range.

Yoder409

Quote from: packmule on December 31, 2021, 05:35:50 PM....... the very best calls I've purchased have been in the $40-$125 range.

^^^^^

MUCH truth right here.

The best sounding calls..........the best looking calls........don't ALWAYS carry the biggest price tag OR have the most famous name written on them.
PA elitist since 1979

Tom007

I never really looked at any of my calls in terms of dollars spent for them. A call is priceless if it is made with high quality craftsmanship and calls turkeys to the end of our barrels. I understand serious collectors paying high dollars for historical/rare turkey calls. I do have what I consider to be a strong "Hunters" collection that I enjoy and love to add to. Happy New Years...
"Solo hunter"

Crghss

I think the most I've paid is a little over $100. I'm sure there maybe some $200+ calls that sound better or play easier, probably not with my hand or ear.

But as others have stated some calls are priceless. My later fathers Lynch World champion. The pot call I harvested my first S. Dakota Merriam turkey with. Last call I used to harvest a turkey in my home state of PA. Will have these till my dirt nap.

I do hunt with all my calls.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...