OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington Choke selection

Started by bitsdoo, February 13, 2011, 03:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitsdoo

Done a pile of reading and its either going to be a IC 665 or a jellyhead 660 or 665. My question is that most of my shots will be 20yds to 40yds as I normally shoot over decoys. I'm looking to pattern the Hevi-13's 2oz #7s and will probably have lead behind it in case the bird comes in close. So my question is what you recommend as a choke for my situatio? I'm leaning towards the jellyhead .665 to open it up a bit as it looks like this is a relatively shorter shot...

Any suggestions?

sugarray

You have got it figured out.  It will be an awesome pattern.  I would pay more for the IC and if you are not happy, send it back and get a PG, it is .670.

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Jbird22

Quote from: bitsdoo on February 13, 2011, 03:27:45 PM
Done a pile of reading and its either going to be a IC 665 or a jellyhead 660 or 665. My question is that most of my shots will be 20yds to 40yds as I normally shoot over decoys. I'm looking to pattern the Hevi-13's 2oz #7s and will probably have lead behind it in case the bird comes in close. So my question is what you recommend as a choke for my situatio? I'm leaning towards the jellyhead .665 to open it up a bit as it looks like this is a relatively shorter shot...

Any suggestions?

I think the .665 JH will surprise you with how tight it will be using the 7's. I shot that combo last year and got some good #'s. Most of my shots are around 30 yds and this year I will be trying a factory full choke to see if it will open my pattern up some. I plan on shooting some patterns in the next few days and will post results.

Gobble!

I use a .665 Indian Creek it patterns great
In your situations I would go with the .665 JH

bitsdoo

well...I decided to pick up the Indian Creek. After some more reading looks like it is "Preferred" over the JH. Looking forward to patterning it with some Hevi-13, 2oz #7's.

For those with this choke and  a remington (I'm shooting an 11-87 with 21" smoothbore) what are you guys using for for lead...3" Winchester Supreme Turkey Load in #6 worked for me in my other gun but it was an ithaca 37 with a 28" barrel.

Cheers!

hookedspur

Quote from: sugarray on February 13, 2011, 03:34:15 PM
You have got it figured out.  It will be an awesome pattern.  I would pay more for the IC and if you are not happy, send it back and get a PG, it is .670.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

4nwtf

Love my rhino .660 in my 870.  Also have shot rhino chokes on a bps, sx2, and sbe with great patterns and of course nitro shells with all of them.

Reloader

Quotewhat are you guys using for for lead...3" Winchester Supreme Turkey Load in #6 worked for me in my other gun but it was an ithaca 37 with a 28" barrel.

I like the Win Grey Box 1-7/8oz #6s or the 3" Win HV 1-3/4oz #6s.  They chrono well above the advertised MV in 23-28" bbls, so I would assume you would be right around the advertised 1210 in your short 21.  The ICBDS is actually a good lead shooter as well. 

I would only shoot lead in your situation.  Lead #6 patterns out to 40yds are hard to beat as they provide ample CNS hits in the right choke and much more room for error.

Just this weekend I patterned a couple guns for Dad and he really liked the lead patterns opposed to the hevi patterns.  The overall patterns covered a much larger area, but still had over 100 in the 10. He missed a huge 3yo at 20yds last year with hevi and has been alittle leary since.  Of course it eased his mind a bit when he smashed a nice tom at 55yds with one of my 3" handloads a couple weeks later :D

Have a good one,

Reloader

mossybird

My grandfather uses a Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike in his Charles Daly. Charles Daly is made by Remington, so its the same. He shoots Winchester High Velocity 3.5" 2oz #4s and he flattens them from 5-50 yards. You outta see the five yard jake he killed last year !  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :turkey2:

redleg06

In my experience (Ive tried all the chokes mentioned here except the rhino) the Pure Gold shoots the most even and consistent patterns.  You may not beat the numbers count in the 10" circle but that's not what all of us are looking for in patterns either.

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuotePure Gold shoots the most even and consistent patterns.

That makes so much sense.  I wish the PG that I tried had been a .670

QuoteCharles Daly is made by Remington, so its the same.

Charles Daly guns use the same thread pattern as found on RemChokes.  They are out of business, and are not anywhere near the quality of an 870.  I know first hand, because I own both guns.

joshua

Quote from: redleg06 on February 22, 2011, 09:20:17 PM
In my experience (Ive tried all the chokes mentioned here except the rhino) the Pure Gold shoots the most even and consistent patterns.  You may not beat the numbers count in the 10" circle but that's not what all of us are looking for in patterns either.

Very good info redleg.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

bitsdoo

Well just a little follow up, patterned the gun the other day. I ended up with an Indian Creek, Winchester Elite Supreme's shot the best. I was hoping to pattern #7's for the hell of it but couldn't find any up here in Canada (when it comes to turkey hunting the smallest legal shot size is #6).

So here's some pics of my test....

40yds, 3" Winchester Supreme, 1 3/4oz, 1300FPS, #6's, 98 pellets in a 10" circle, low right x 3 shots

40yds, 3" Winchester Supreme Elite High-Density, 1 3/4oz, 1225FPS, 140 pellets in a 10" circle, dead on :z-winnersmiley:

20yds ;D3" Winchester Supreme Elite High-Density, 1 3/4oz, 1225FPS, "Lots" pellets in a 10" circle, dead on (this would probably take his head clean off :o