OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: More yelper practice  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Kygobblergetter

More yelper practice
« on: December 29, 2021, 08:35:00 PM »
I decided to step out side tonight and record my calling so I could listen to it myself and figured I might as well put it on here. Any feedback or advice is appreciated. I’m really trying to figure these suction calls out

https://youtu.be/FLH6-GHvS3Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: More yelper practice
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 10:56:03 PM »
Wish I could get mine to sound that good.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 06:54:04 AM »
I didn’t comment on the last video but I will say you’re sounding better, I can tell you have gained more control of your air. The best piece of advice I can give is practice, practice, practice. There really is no substitute.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 07:52:28 AM »
The gobblers are gonna love that!!!

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 08:42:55 AM »
Sounding even better.   You have the mechanics down pretty well.   Now, as someone mentioned earlier, keep practicing.   Some things you just figure out on your own.   

One thing I’d work on would be my clucks.   They sound pretty good, but I think they need to be shorter and sharper, more of a pop than a drawl.  Experiment with shorter but faster intake, if that makes any sense.   But you can kill turkeys with what you have going on now. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 10:53:55 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 09:03:08 PM »
You got the fundamentals, now just fine tune! Your hard work is paying off!   :icon_thumright:
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 02:25:03 PM »
Sounding even better.   You have the mechanics down pretty well.   Now, as someone mentioned earlier, keep practicing.   Some things you just figure out on your own.   

One thing I’d work on would be my clucks.   They sound pretty good, but I think they need to be shorter and sharper, more of a pop than a drawl.  Experiment with shorter but faster intake, if that makes any sense.   But you can kill turkeys with what you have going on now.

I agree. Remember, when practicing, don't work too hard. Practice often, just not too long.
You sound relaxed and that's great.
I've been playing all kinds of yelpers for a long time and I can't walk by one without picking it up and running it, lol.

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 02:33:56 PM »
I’ve been practicing pretty much every day. It helps me scratch the itch a little while I wait on season. I’m definitely not great but I am getting better and feel like I should be able to kill a bird with a yelper this year.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 02:39:51 PM »
You absolutely can and will kill birds with that calling. That soft yelping and clucking is where yelpers excel.
Warning:
Hens are attracted to that also and often, you'll have them in your lap.