OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

CZ sxs 20ga.

Started by VAHUNTER, December 27, 2021, 03:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAHUNTER

Hello all, I just got a CZ Bobwhite G2 20ga. I think this little gun will be my go to for turkey .
Ordered a set of chokes from SumToy. I will post up some patterns once everything is together.
Good things come to those who wait

Kygobblergetter

Would love to see the pattern pics. Are you planning on just using the bead sight? I have this gun and love it for doves and rabbits. Have been really considering it for turkeys and would definitely be convinced if you got some good patterns out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAHUNTER

Yes I will be using the bead for now. I have shot a few high brass through it at 30yds. Honestly I was very impressed. Not only was the patterns good.( For cheap loads ) but the POI was dead nuts from both barrels.

Kygobblergetter

Good to know. Looking forward to seeing your patterns

aclawrence

I've really gotten the itch for an over and under but haven't thought about a side by side. Let's us know how it turns out.

crow

I hunt with a bobwhite 20, mine was regulated very good with POI matching POA with 1 oz lead loads, the 1.25oz lead loads started to shoot the right barrel slightly to the right, left barrel to the left.

TSS POI was a little more off than lead in the same way with 1.5 and 1 5/8s ounce loads.
dropping the TSS load down to 1 oz brought POI dead on, with a Carlson .575 in the right barrel the 1oz load avg mid 150's at 40

.571 Trulock in left barrel, in this gun a TSS 1 7/16ths oz load has better 10" numbers than 1.5 oz or 1 5/8oz loads , but weaker 20" numbers. would not have thought that, but thats what it is.
I filed the left barrel choke to bring POI into line with the heavier TSS loads

I put a fiber optic front sight on it which helps at grey light, also put a temporary mid bead on for a rear sight which is nice for the tighter tss loads

Do a search on here for sxs's, DocHolliday has a really nice BW 28ga. that has peep sights on it

VAHUNTER

Thanks for the info. I plan on checking the pattern on mine this week one day. 2 Chokes showed up yesterday. And I picked up some federal #9 TSS and two boxes of Apex #7's.

VAHUNTER

Well I had a chance to pattern the bobwhite today. Right barrel 562 restriction , left barrel 575. Both new chokes from Sumtoy. Tried federal #9 TSS and Apex 7.5. Both loads throwed a great pattern but unfortunately about 12" low at 40 yards. I wish I could add a red dot to this gun.

Kygobblergetter

I wonder if you could drill and tap the rib and add a red dot that way?

crow

If your pattern is on left and right with tss your doing great, that's usually the bigger problem for a sxs

mine also shot 10" low, but only when I aimed it like a rifle for turkeys, the mid bead used as a rear sight raised the poi to poa enough in this gun.

I experimented with putting a piece of #4 up to #2 shot on the rib to see how high the midbead needed to be. Also try moving the midbead forward of the regular mid bead position to raise POI. I shot dove loads to rough it in.

A larger front bead used in the mid bead position may also give you the height adjustment you need.

a rear rifle sight would also work but may interfere with wingshooting

VAHUNTER

The gun is shooting a incredible pattern and the left and right barrel is straight down the middle. i looked at the plywood that i used to hang targets on today. there is a shot circle the size of a basket ball from 4 different shots through both barrels at 6:00 under the paper target. very few flyers if any. the way it is now i would have to hold over the turkey or atleast cover up his head.
the vent rib on the bobwhite is not very tall. so adding a center bead along with a smaller bead on the front might be my only choice.

VAHUNTER

i just ordered a comb raising kit for the bobwhite. going to see if that fixes the problem. i would like to add a mid bead. is there anyone on here that could do this for me?

SumToy

Quote from: VAHUNTER on January 09, 2022, 09:04:21 PM
Well I had a chance to pattern the bobwhite today. Right barrel 562 restriction , left barrel 575. Both new chokes from Sumtoy. Tried federal #9 TSS and Apex 7.5. Both loads throwed a great pattern but unfortunately about 12" low at 40 yards. I wish I could add a red dot to this gun.

you can put a mount on it with little work. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

VAHUNTER

both chokes pattern incredible. very happy with them. would you be able to do some work for me ?

SumToy

we can machine a mount to fit on the gun.

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA