Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is the 12 gauge 3.5 inch as lethal as the Mighty 10?

Started by Tom007, December 22, 2021, 08:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

I wanted to get the forums thought/facts on the difference between the 12 gauge 3.5 inch versus the 10 gauge. Let's say the loads are the same, both 3.5 inch 2 1/4 oz of shot with both traveling 1300 FPS. Is there a difference in lethality/performance.  Thanks....Happy Holidays....
"Solo hunter"

SumToy

In the past the 12 would put up better numbers but the 10 would rock the back stop.     To me the 10ga never had a load to fill up the bore with the O.D. of the wad. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Tom007

Quote from: SumToy on December 22, 2021, 08:52:32 AM
In the past the 12 would put up better numbers but the 10 would rock the back stop.     To me the 10ga never had a load to fill up the bore with the O.D. of the wad.

Thanks my friend......
"Solo hunter"

the Ward

With plain lead shot standard turkey ammo, I would say they are extremely close in patterning performance, with a slight edge going to the 10 for more even looking patterns. With steel waterfowl loads, my experience with both the 12 and 10, is that the 10 is superior at all ranges, even though published ballistics don't necessarily reflect that. The nice thing about my 10 is that it will put up perfectly acceptable killing patterns at 40 yards with virtually every turkey ammo brand i have with any decent choke. With htl, i have found that mine puts up nice even patterns, but it won't put up the numbers in the 10" @ 40 my 12 gauges' can, shooting similar shells.

Tom007

I had a Remington SP-10 that I sold years ago when I got my Super Black Eagle. I do love the SBE, but I regret selling that 10 gauge cannon. I miss it.....Happy Holidays...
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: the Ward on December 23, 2021, 06:53:02 AM
With plain lead shot standard turkey ammo, I would say they are extremely close in patterning performance, with a slight edge going to the 10 for more even looking patterns. With steel waterfowl loads, my experience with both the 12 and 10, is that the 10 is superior at all ranges, even though published ballistics don't necessarily reflect that. The nice thing about my 10 is that it will put up perfectly acceptable killing patterns at 40 yards with virtually every turkey ammo brand i have with any decent choke. With htl, i have found that mine puts up nice even patterns, but it won't put up the numbers in the 10" @ 40 my 12 gauges' can, shooting similar shells.

Great info my friend. I do miss mine....Happy Holidays....
"Solo hunter"

the Ward

The original SBE is a fantastic shotgun, as well as the Sp10. I wanted both bad when they came out, but alas, i was just starting out in life, and did not have the financial wherewithal to make it happen. But i was able to acquire my first Bps 10, that served me well till i foolishly sold it.Luckily i was able to replace it with another on some years ago, a hunter model with the plain finish and synthetic stocks. Still miss my old one with the nice wood and engraved receiver though, it was one beautiful gun for a production piece. Happy Holidays to you also Tom!

Tom007

Moral of our stories, never sell a gun cause you will regret it....amen my friend......
"Solo hunter"

Ridge Rooster

No expert by no means but the 10's we are messing with currently are out patterning every 12 3.5" I have seen, and I have seen a few. By this I mean in the 10" at 40 yards with Apex 3.5" 2.50z 9's and Apex 10 3.5" 2.50z. 9's. The 835's get fairly close but the 10GA usually average 25-50 more pellets in the 10" at 40.

RidgeRooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Tom007

Quote from: Ridge Rooster on December 23, 2021, 01:39:48 PM
No expert by no means but the 10's we are messing with currently are out patterning every 12 3.5" I have seen, and I have seen a few. By this I mean in the 10" at 40 yards with Apex 3.5" 2.50z 9's and Apex 10 3.5" 2.50z. 9's. The 835's get fairly close but the 10GA usually average 25-50 more pellets in the 10" at 40.

RidgeRooster

Great info, thx.....
"Solo hunter"

Ridge Rooster

The choke performing best out of two different guns, BPS and H+R, has been an XXXFull Comp n Choke. The constriction best I can tell is .695. Got a .680 Sumtoy that does really close to 500. Fixin to try a couple Nitro's thru BPS and see how they fair.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Tom007

Quote from: Ridge Rooster on December 23, 2021, 07:31:07 PM
The choke performing best out of two different guns, BPS and H+R, has been an XXXFull Comp n Choke. The constriction best I can tell is .695. Got a .680 Sumtoy that does really close to 500. Fixin to try a couple Nitro's thru BPS and see how they fair.

Ridge Rooster

Let us know how it does.....happy holidays
"Solo hunter"

Ihuntoldschool

You tell me.  Does 500 in a 10 inch circle make a turkey Deader than only 400-450?

the Ward

Tom007

I love 10 gauges. They knock em down. The only drawback is weight. If you run & gun, the mighty 10 can be cumbersome. My 3.5 inch Benelli comes in at just under 7 pounds, (around 6.9). If I was a sitter/blind hunter, the 10 would be great. It all comes down to personal preference and performance. I always have my eye out for another 10........I will eventually pick one up......Happy Holidays....
"Solo hunter"