turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Savage m301xp .410 Bottomland

Started by RED NECK, December 21, 2021, 12:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

My new .410 xp arrived this morning and I have some time today so I thought I'd get it put together and cleaned up, I just got finished and It was filthy. I pulled the base off and used loctite when I re installed it,this model came with a red dot,1x30,looks like its a tasco. I am going to use it for now. It could be years before I use this for turkey hunting,at least in Ontario as they are not legal, yet.

I want to purchase an aftermarket choke for it,in January. I have watched a lot of patterning videos,but I am still not sure which choke I want,I am leaning towards a comp n choke but not 100% sure yet.

I will be using it for grouse and other small game until they are legal for turkey.

Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

turkeymanjim

Shoot the choke that comes with the gun. I tryed indian creek choke and sumtoy choke and the factory choke shot better than both in that same gun. If your going to shoot tss, use a little bit more open choke. What I have found out over the years that tss shoots better with more open chokes.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

RED NECK

I will be shooting tss if and when I hunt turkeys,I have read good and bad reviews about the stock choke, I still will purchase at least one aftermarket choke for it, I'd lean towards a .385.

turkeymanjim

This is my factory savage 410 choke at 41 yards measured with rangefinder with federal tss 9 shot.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Leadchunker

Shoot the factory choke save the extra money for ammo I've taken several out past 40 with factory choke and apex ninja 9.5

Vintage

Factory choke for me. Shoots Great.

RED NECK

I'm more than likely going to end up with at least two aftermarket chokes for the gun, I am not too worried about the cost of chokes and I like collecting them as well as guns. I am going to order a comp n choke first and then something else.This gun may not be used for turkey hunting, for years, or maybe never.

RED NECK

I put a little rds-22 red dot on this little gun today, I have some Federal tss #9 on the way, I can't buy any other as I have looked and I can't turkey hunt yet with a .410 up here but I sure can get it dialed in and ready, for the future or for trips to places where they are legal. I have not ordered a choke, I plan on shooting the stock first, I was thinking of getting a caliper to check diameter on all my turkey chokes.

Meleagris gallopavo

I like to try at least one aftermarket choke just to have a comparison.  Pretty easy to sell if it's not as good as the stock choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

RED NECK

I agree, I do as well. I found a shop that has the winchester double xx diamond turkey in 7.5. I emailed them to see if they ship,I'll probably never use it to turkey hunt but I'd like some to test and shoot. I am not holding my breath it will be even legal before I am 50 (42 now) if ever to hunt turkeys up here with a .410 but, I have killed hundreds of grouse in my life shooting .410's and I am already interested in adding another .410 here in the next few months, for just a grouse hunting .410. I may go with walnut/blued for it.