turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bubinga as lid

Started by Cuss-A-Tom Calls, June 02, 2011, 09:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuss-A-Tom Calls

Was wondering how bubinga is for a lid on a box call and any suggestions as to what to pair it with.

Thanks, Waylon.
Waylon Thomson

culpeper

Waylon,

Bubinga is typically fairly hard and dense so it will usually produce a higher pitch sound with a harder box chamber, and can get real raspy with a softer box chamber.  Don't sand the underside too smooth as it can get slick, I would stay with no less than 150, but you may need to experiment too.  I'll tell you what though, it can make for a beautiful lid for sure--good luck.

Scott

Cuss-A-Tom Calls

Thanks scott, was thinking of pairing it with cedar, or butternut box.
Waylon Thomson

culpeper

Walon,  The Bubinga should work well with those, but you might end up making it a little thinner than normal since it is much heavier.  Good luck and look forward to seeing pics!

pappy

Two good suggestions here, thin is in on heavier and denser woods, and matching it to a softer wood is also right on....but when you get it matched right, and I would try the butternut before the cedar, you are gonna have a killer box. If you are making a short box, use a lighter spring then you would if you were using cedar as a paddle, to allow for more movement with the angle of the paddle as it is ran across the sound chamber. If you are making a long box, don't use a spring at all and leave about and 1/8 - 3/16" overhand on the sides with the paddle.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Cuss-A-Tom Calls

Thanks guys for all the tips and advice. Just finished up the call. It was with the bubinga lid with a butternut box, inlayed with cherry. It turned out real nice, starts out with a medium pitch up front and breaks over real raspy. Cuts and purrs are real nice and easy. Putting the finish on and will post pictures when I get it done.

Thanks again, Waylon.
Waylon Thomson

Cuss-A-Tom Calls

Here is the finished product. Thanks for all the advice guys. The box is butternut and the lid is bubinga and bottom is zebrawood. The inlays are cherry.

Waylon Thomson

culpeper

Waylon, that looks like a winner all around, I like what you did to the center checkering to highlight.  I think you choose wisely on the butternut and it seems you achieved the sound you were after.  Now keep em coming

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!