OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Is it true  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Is it true
« on: December 12, 2021, 02:18:59 AM »
Fellas I just got an email Winchester supreme are gonna be available soon? I dont see copper plated on box I hope so but standard velocity is nice if that’s true. Anyone else here this?

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Is it true
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 07:12:23 AM »
Great shells, I would love to see them come back…
“Solo hunter”

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 01:40:07 PM »
I still have some of these shells

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 03:50:29 AM »
I’ve got lots still I’m just wondering if I got a generic pic sent in email or it’s actually true

Offline Ches.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 06:42:15 PM »
I only have 8 left, not pattering any of these anymore. Would like to see these over the Long Beard for closer shots.
Ches.

Offline Ches.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 06:29:14 PM »
I think it was just wishful thinking. I checked the Winchester web site and did a google search, Noda.
Ches.

Offline DMTJAGER

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 01:01:07 AM »
I still have about 30 12ga 3.5" 2oz of #5 and about 10-12 of the 2oz #4 of the standard Winchester Supreme turkey shells. Also have about 30 or so 12ga 3" 1.75oz #4's and about the same of #5's. All patterned great to 50. I even have 11 of the 12ga 3.5" Winchester Supreme HTL turkey shells.

I once bought one box each #4 and #5 shot of all the standard lead turkey shells made by Winchester, Federal, Remington, Active and Hornady. Took 5 shells each brand apart did a pellet count and counted how many deformed or poorly formed pellets each shell had.

Over all the Winchester Shells won on every count. Had the most consistent pellet count, had BY FAR the fewest deformed pellets and patterned again BY FAR the best and most consistently out of both my 3" and 3.5" 870's. I still have those left over shells.
Remington's were a close but decidedly second.

I was absolutely shocked how poorly the Federal 3" and 3.5" turkey shells patterned finished dead last of them all, but the Active shells were essentially as bad.

Offline Ches.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 06:41:43 AM »
DMTJAGER, Good to hear your Remingtons at least took second. I read a lot of bad things about them on here yet I have killed a lot of birds with them. I am just starting to pattern my gun. I was always the grab the 870 and go hunting guy. With the availability of ammo now, I only took a few patterning shots, mostly to see where the pattern hit vs pellet count. I have 6 Supreme #4 3" shells left and I hope they will last a few years, then back to Remingtons. I have never tried the Long Beards. I don't need to shoot past 40 and don't want to give up sub 20 shots. Tungsten sounds good till I see the price on the box. It would be nice if Winchester came out with Supremes again to give us options, but I think they are all in with the Long Beards.
Ches.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 11:12:31 AM »
I am starting to see black box double XX. 

Offline Ches.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2022, 01:55:30 PM »
I have not seen any in SE WI. I hope so.

Offline Ches.

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 09:25:46 AM »
Got to take that back, I see Fleet Farm has some according to their web page. Not marked Supremes, but are the same speed, no idea what wad they are using. Might have to pick up a box.
Ches. 

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 09:34:05 PM »
Got to take that back, I see Fleet Farm has some according to their web page. Not marked Supremes, but are the same speed, no idea what wad they are using. Might have to pick up a box.
Ches.
Dont think about it too long, they will be gone fast.

Offline Ches.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 09:36:40 PM »
I picked up a box of #5- 3".  Didn't want to hoard.  All the 4's were gone in 3". lots of 3.5".  I woulde have like 4's , but 5's will do. I am good now.
Ches.

Offline DMTJAGER

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 12:01:12 AM »
For those interested here is a link to a YouTube video that features a guy taking apart one shell of each and does a compares side by side all of the components used in making Winchester Supreme and Winchester XX turkey shells.

As best I can tell they both are made using the same shot, buffer, shot cup and wadding, or essentially the seem to be the same exact shell.
https://ic.carid.com/bushwacker/items/20962-02-close-up_1.jpg

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2022, 03:13:25 AM »
For those interested here is a link to a YouTube video that features a guy taking apart one shell of each and does a compares side by side all of the components used in making Winchester Supreme and Winchester XX turkey shells.

As best I can tell they both are made using the same shot, buffer, shot cup and wadding, or essentially the seem to be the same exact shell.
https://ic.carid.com/bushwacker/items/20962-02-close-up_1.jpg
If its in the black box , I've been told the re name it is the same. Silver box is different load, so I've been told.
Nice looking truck. TOO bad it is a ford lol