OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Let’s take a poll

Started by aclawrence, December 09, 2021, 04:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

I don't actually know if you can do a poll on here so just comment below. Let's say hypothetically you were going to an upcoming call maker show and you had $300 to spend. How would you spend it?  I mean in general would you spend 200-300$ on a box call. Or buy 3-5 pots. Maybe a trumpet or two?  You don't have to name specific makers, I'm just curious when you walk through the door what type of call is going to get you excited.  I'm heading to Unicoi and and think I'll be looking for a a trumpet or maybe a new box call. Also I don't know how much money I can scrape up. I may just be going for the fellowship lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris O

I would look at and play as many suction type calls as I could and pick out the ones I felt I liked the best and buy what I could afford it may be 2 or 3 calls or one that is more expensive. I would have to check out all the other types of calls as well but those suction calls sure are addictive for me. Enjoy the show and the agonizing decisions you will have to make lol . I wish I was going!!!!

ferocious calls

I would check them all out and buy from the most reasonably priced maker that fills his calls with turkey. You can buy great sounding calls without breaking the bank. Some calls are so pricey how they ever sell many is a wonder to me.

Crghss

I'd be getting 2 quality box calls. If I have $ left then what ever catches my eye, ear?
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

ChesterCopperpot

Depends solely on what gets you excited as a collector. Maybe you love scratch boxes, maybe you love one siders. I love yelpers so that's where I'm running.

davisd9

If you come across a call you want you better buy it as it most likely will not be waiting for you to come back. Take what you can afford and the conversations and experience is more valuable than the calls. I am really looking forward to continuing my conversation with Mr. Larry Proffitt.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

shatcher

Hen box.  Money left would be a good pot call.

Tarheel

Are you buying for investment? Or are you looking for callers to hunt with?  There are so many callmakers today making exceptionally nice sounding callers the likelihood of there being a return on investment is limited to the collectability of certain callmakers and the amount of premium the secondary market is willing to pay for that callmakers calls in the future.

3bailey3

Tarheel are you going to be there? your scratch boxes are top of the line and your boxes are Awesome!

3bailey3

I think I would get mad real fast with only $300 bucks..

davisd9

Quote from: 3bailey3 on December 09, 2021, 10:01:44 PM
I think I would get mad real fast with only $300 bucks..

$300 is plenty. May have to leave a few things behind but it is all wants and no needs.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tarheel

Yes, I am going to Unicoi.  I have some callers I will be delivering, and I am taking a few scratch boxes if anyone has interest.

Happy hooker

Personally I think $400 is what you should strive for that's two premium boxes or one box and a few pots or accessories.
$300 is good if your sticking to mostly pots.

Greg Massey

If i were going with only 200-300 dollars , i would stay home and just order a few calls from builders... My suggestion is take you a wallet full of money if your going to a show ... 1500 - 3000 ....IMO... at Unicoi you can spend 1000 dollars in less than hour ... Walking in Unicoi show with 300 dollars is like going to the grocery store and wanting a basket full of groceries for 20 dollars... IMO....

davisd9

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 12, 2021, 11:50:54 AM
If i were going with only 200-300 dollars , i would stay home and just order a few calls from builders... My suggestion is take you a wallet full of money if
your going to a show ... 1500 - 3000 ....IMO... at Unicoi you can spend 1000 dollars in less than hour ... Walking in Unicoi show with 300 dollars is like going to the grocery store and wanting a basket full of groceries for 20 dollars... IMO....

This is advice that no one should follow. If you want to drop $1000+ then that is fine but that is not the point of the show. Bring would you can afford and regardless of that amount you will have a great time. The show is more about the interaction with the call makers and the conversation then dropping a pile of money. If you want commercialization then just go to the NWTF show.

I have been there with $100, $300, and $1000 and enjoyed it just as much with a $100 bucks as I did $1000.