OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I can NOT get the hang of diaphragm calls  (Read 3291 times)

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: I can NOT get the hang of diaphragm calls
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 06:12:03 AM »
Using a digital recorder to record your calling and immediately playing it back will be helpful to you.  What you hear when you're calling is not necessarily what you will hear when you play back your calling from the digital recorder. Immediate feedback is helpful in shortening the learning curve.  Truthfully, some of the worse sounding callers I have ever heard were real wild turkey hens.  You really don't have to be a perfect caller....

If you do this, do it outside and keep the recorder a few feet from you. I'll add again that quality isn't as critical as cadence.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 02:58:35 PM »
I'll echo what others have said.  Keep it simple.  A very basic two reed is the best to learn on. I've seen a lot of "good callers" who weren't.  They insisted on running a raspy call with a 3 reeds and a complex cut in reality they needed a plain two reed call or no more than a boss hen cut and their calling dilemmas would have been over but I honestly feel like there was a little bit of macho mentality that wouldn't let them step away from the "fancy" call.  I for the most part only run two reeds except for when I need volume in the Oklahoma and Kansas wind or my go to ghost cut is a 3 reed.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 05:46:27 PM »
yeah, the 100 hrs or so can be hard. LOL  I started with a QB twin 2, then the pro triple & then a Butzki quad cutter, this was in the 80`s & I still run all those call styles, I started using the Gulvas style a few years ago too, & really really like them, Mike

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 07:13:46 PM »
I'll echo what others have said.  Keep it simple.  A very basic two reed is the best to learn on. I've seen a lot of "good callers" who weren't.  They insisted on running a raspy call with a 3 reeds and a complex cut in reality they needed a plain two reed call or no more than a boss hen cut and their calling dilemmas would have been over but I honestly feel like there was a little bit of macho mentality that wouldn't let them step away from the "fancy" call.  I for the most part only run two reeds except for when I need volume in the Oklahoma and Kansas wind or my go to ghost cut is a 3 reed.

Surely you jest! "good callers who weren't". I can tell you I have literally cringed at some of the calling I have heard on videos, TV shows and from "experts". I could go out grab a chicken and the squawking that ensued would be better. I like simple and I try some of the "fancy" calls, but when it comes kill time it's usually an old stand bye in my cheek. I do like a 3 reed with one basic cut though. I am no champion or expert but I started running mouth calls in 1975 and even an idiot can learn to drive in 45+ years. My first mouth call was made by "Lew McClure". https://www.ebay.com/itm/353180046608?nma=true&si=n7ZcQzbRq3srUeh4F8elrSxlkBo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 I made acquaintance with lew at a seminar in 1975 and even sold his calls for years. Take my word for it and no offense to early call makers, but today's calls are far superior in sound quality and ease of learning.

Offline Master Gobbie

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2022, 10:06:36 PM »
So much great advice! I'll throw in my two cents,

Building off another's advice of recording yourself, make sure to video record yourself, watch your mouth and compare it to the professionals you see on videos. Notice how much or how little their mouth is open when they are making certain notes. I had a terrible habit of yelping with my lips shaped like I was blowing out a candle. Till I forced myself to imitate grandpa and curl my lips over my teeth. The difference is night and day.

Keep practice sessions small to avoid bad habits, but when you do hit a yelp or cluck that's appealing to your ear, make that same note over and over to build muscle memory. Taking notice of how much tongue pressure you're using and the amount of air needed in your lungs to make the sound correctly.

Keep exposing yourself to instructional videos and like you did here keep asking for tips. Sooner or later someone will give you advice that clicks and you'll be over your hurdle.

And don't give up man! There's nothing more rewarding than talking a bird into doing something he wouldn't have otherwise done.

Proverbs  3: 5-6