OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Barrel work and dipping question  (Read 969 times)

Offline Passport

Barrel work and dipping question
« on: December 03, 2021, 11:09:32 AM »
Hope this is the right place to post these questions, mods, please move if its not..

Have an 870 Turkey with a 23 inch tube and open sights and want to cut it down to 21, I think, loose the open sights and re-thread for rem chokes. Does anyone have a good referral for the work? I would also consider some barrel tuning while the barrel is out too.

I have another build in the process with an 11-87 that I have a 21 inch barrel for that I would want to have dipped and tune as well.

Also need some input on who is a good guy for dipping.

Thanks in advance!!!

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
Re: Barrel work and dipping question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 11:23:56 AM »
Tad at Carolina graphic enterprise is your guy for the dipping..They do some gun work as well but I’m not sure to the extent that your looking for.

I have had a lot of guns dipped there and have never been let down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 01:18:01 AM »
Mike Orlen or William Lambert.  Remchokes might work, might not depends on your wall thickness.  They will let you know.
Got other options, Truchoke or Briley thin wall (if cant remchoke).

What is the benefit or the 21 inch over the 23?

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 06:19:45 AM »
 :morning:
Hey buddy, I can tell ya by experience that Rem’s barrels are slightly swelled at the tube end to allow for the choke threads so if ya do decide to shorten the barrel you’ll have to use Tru-Chokes… :camohat:

More thoughts…23” barrel by Rem I believe is a 3.5” one and very possibly has a forcing cone lengthened by them at the factory, as I have one like it on my Super Mag 870. Excellent shooter! I think the sights can be removed easily and then you can have yer receiver drilled and tapped for a scope base.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 06:28:15 AM by lowoctane »
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life