OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Before I Knew it  (Read 6534 times)

CMBOSTC

Before I Knew it
« on: November 29, 2021, 05:00:06 PM »
Since this was our first thanksgiving in our new home, we wanted to have Thanksgiving here. It was Wednesday, the evening before Thanksgiving 2021. My Brother had only been here for roughly an hour. My two Pitbull's started getting into a fight. The younger and lighter Pitbull (Theo), had always been the Alpha. Bodie, the slightly older and a little heavier Pitbull would always cower to Theo. It was a little bit different this time. After they ripped the curtains from the wall in the kitchen, I noticed that this was a little different than previous fights. Bodie seemed to have Theo in a compromising situation with his neck exposed. I knew it was only a matter of fractions of seconds that I needed to react. I'll stop myself right here, this is a very crucial decision. The thing of it is, is that in real life, you can't stop to think about the repercussions and gravity of your split second decisions. Somehow, I stopped them and was able to split them up.

Before I Knew it, the aggressor (Bodie), attacked. He went straight for my face. My lip and chin exactly. After the impact, I checked my face. I was bleeding profusely. My Brother told me that I screamed like a little girl. I'm sure I did! It wasn't the pain from the wound, it was the heartbreak of one of my dogs doing that. I knew, at that moment, that he would be put down. After he knocked me to the ground, I felt him grab me by the ankle. Now this hurt. As he gnawed on my foot, I remember my wife's calm voice telling me to stay calm and that he would let go. He did eventually let go.

I will say that if I had to do it all over, I would try for a different outcome. I love you Bodie, rest easy buddy.

The attached pictures are graphic in nature.

CMBOSTC

Re: Before I Knew it
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 05:38:40 PM »
The part that is so bizarre to me is that out of the 22 years that I was in the Army, I was never airlifted once. Not a club that I thought I would ever be apart of.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 06:15:34 PM »
Ouch, sorry to hear that Chris. I have a friend that got bit in the face bad, similar situation.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 08:39:58 PM »
Wow Man, sorry to hear this, for all of your pain and the loss of your dog

Offline boatpaddle

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 08:44:33 PM »
So sorry, to see & hear this, Chris..

I feel bad for your trauma & the loss of your dog..

Mend quickly..

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 09:06:57 PM »
Ouch! sorry to say thats a breed i would never own, glad you didn't have small kids, the outcome would have been tragic!

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 09:15:45 PM »
Ouch! sorry to say thats a breed i would never own, glad you didn't have small kids, the outcome would have been tragic!
  X2...

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 04:42:47 AM »
  X2...

X3, that breed scares me. I hope you heal well, be safe….
“Solo hunter”

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 09:14:56 AM »
  X2...

Yep, a six-year-old boy was killed by one here in my own city a week ago by his parent's dogs.  There are usually several incidents a year here where people (or pets) are attacked by dogs...and they are almost invariably pit bulls...and the owners also almost invariably state that the dogs were "gentle"...right up until the time they attacked someone! 

I'm not one to try to moralize or otherwise downplay what happened to you but, for me personally, I don't care how many times someone claims pit bulls can be a gentle breed, your incident just goes to show that all it takes is for those dogs to be triggered by something.  Consider yourself lucky that your dogs attacked you and not someone else.  If it had been, you would be facing losing everything you own (and maybe more) at this point. 

...Having said that, still sorry to hear about your incident and the resulting outcome...

CMBOSTC

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »
  X2...

Yep, a six-year-old boy was killed by one here in my own city a week ago by his parent's dogs.  There are usually several incidents a year here where people (or pets) are attacked by dogs...and they are almost invariably pit bulls...and the owners also almost invariably state that the dogs were "gentle"...right up until the time they attacked someone! 

I'm not one to try to moralize or otherwise downplay what happened to you but, for me personally, I don't care how many times someone claims pit bulls can be a gentle breed, your incident just goes to show that all it takes is for those dogs to be triggered by something.  Consider yourself lucky that your dogs attacked you and not someone else.  If it had been, you would be facing losing everything you own (and maybe more) at this point. 

...Having said that, still sorry to hear about your incident and the resulting outcome...

Thanks man. You're completely right about pits. The dog that bit me was supposedly a pure bread. He's the only one that has had any triggering issues like that. My other one is mixed, we haven't had any issues with him (so far). Needless to say, I won't be taking in anymore pit bulls.

CMBOSTC

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 10:31:59 AM »
Ouch, sorry to hear that Chris. I have a friend that got bit in the face bad, similar situation.

Thanks Greg.

CMBOSTC

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 10:32:35 AM »
Wow Man, sorry to hear this, for all of your pain and the loss of your dog

Thank you.

CMBOSTC

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 10:33:06 AM »
So sorry, to see & hear this, Chris..

I feel bad for your trauma & the loss of your dog..

Mend quickly..

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Thank you.

CMBOSTC

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
  X2...

Thank you.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 03:03:04 PM »
Heal well my friend, you were lucky…..amen
“Solo hunter”