OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New 2022 Turkey vests  (Read 18605 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: New 2022 Turkey vests
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2022, 11:21:44 AM »
I have wore a Russell Outdoors Limbhanger Vest for many years. Purchased a Primos Signature  Vest for last years season. I found it to be a very comfortable vest that was well designed and constructed.
I am 6'5" and 250#  and found the seat cushion to be very comfortable.

I love my Limbhanger vest. Very well made, thought out. The only charge I made was I changed my seat to a Cabelas Speed seat. Did not have to alter the vest in anyway, just uncliped the factory seat and put the speed seat straps right in the existing buckles. Works fantastic, looks like it came on the vest…
“Solo hunter”

Offline spiggy2

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2022, 11:32:30 AM »
Has anyone on here ever have a seat made for them? Thinking about getting a new memory foam seat made and buying some camo fabric to cover it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2022, 01:15:07 PM »
My opinions of the vest are a follows. 

Well thought out.  There are a few bells and whistles that I have no use for.  I do not find it bulky but I am 6'4" and 260 lbs.  I am a big dude and I have plenty with and around me when I am hunting.  The vest is fairly streamlined and quick to move in the woods, agile for the most part. 

I do not find it flimsy.  In the past If I have had seams begin to wear out, I will over stitch them with Power Pro fishing line.  So far I have not had to do that...

Again, I was burned with the Rocker vest.  I liked it but absolute piece of junk.  So I am just waiting for this one to blow up.  But so far I am happy with it. 

Hopefully I get 10 years out of it and many hours in the turkey woods.
I will have to try one,If you get 10 years from a vest I think its a good purchase. I wore the same turkey pants for 11 seasons and they finally, basically rotted and ripped off me while hunting in 2020. I was sad to see them go,I had a lot of great hunts wearing them.I had sewn them half a dozen times.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2022, 01:32:55 PM »
It’s really nice if your sitting in a flat spot. It’s sits a little higher than a typical vest seat. I’ve found it’s not quite as good if there’s a little slope around the tree base because it will want to slide downhill. I may give it a try this season and see how it works out.

No doubt, almost everywhere I hunt I'm sitting down on a hillside.

To help keep from sliding....before you sit down, look around for a piece of a dead tree branch. 4" - 5" in diameter will work. Put it in front of the tree, then sit down. That section of tree branch will wedge under the front part of your seat and keep you from sliding downhill. Creates a pocket for you to sit down and stay in place.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline VAHUNTER

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Perfection ProStaff
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2022, 06:17:26 PM »
Wow that camo brings back memories.  I still have a squirrel vest in that camo from when I was a kid.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Good things come to those who wait

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2022, 09:17:09 PM »
I ordered some new early season turkey & early-mid season whitetail clothing tonight, and when I did, I checked up on the Run & Gun 100, and I am glad I did because the price has dropped by $23 from the first time I ordered it, and It must be in the local depot as It will be here by Sunday/Monday. It looks perfect for what I want to carry, we will see.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 09:43:20 PM by The Heartbreak Kid....... »
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2022, 12:35:46 PM »
 Was looking at Chest packs and ran across one I haven't seen before.. Pack Rabbit, look at the 2021 chest pack. Looks nice, light weight. Little pricey, Lifetime warranty

Offline ncwoodsman

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2022, 02:09:50 PM »
I've been really interested in the chest packs lately for running and gunning and I just ordered this one. It's made by Outdoor Vision in Alaska and the reviews are really good. The layout seems to be well thought out, guess I will see when I hit the woods with it this season.

https://outdoorvisiongear.com/products/turkey-pro-i

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2022, 04:01:19 PM »
 I like it.

Offline ncwoodsman

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2022, 04:30:10 PM »
I like it.

Yeah it caught my eye as well. Hoping to move around with much less of a load this season.

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2022, 05:08:01 PM »
I've been really interested in the chest packs lately for running and gunning and I just ordered this one. It's made by Outdoor Vision in Alaska and the reviews are really good. The layout seems to be well thought out, guess I will see when I hit the woods with it this season.

Thanks for sharing this, I'm going to try one. I haven't been able to find a vest that I'm happy with, but really like the looks of this. I would like to still find a way to attach a seat to it. There's apparently a couple webbing straps on the back, so once I get it I'll see what I can come up with.

Offline REBELYELL

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • 601-384-7427
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2022, 05:32:52 PM »

That's pretty dang cool right there. Can't wait to get some real world feedback on that, but looks very promising.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2022, 09:21:26 AM »

This chest pack looks too big to me. There’s a threshold you cross on the size of chest rigs where they become really annoying. This looks so big to me that I’d rather just have a vest. They get hot and sweaty once the weather heats up. I have a smaller Hill People Gear chest pack, I think it’s the recon or the snubby, that I wear hiking a good bit. I finally have figured out how to carry water with it. I love the chest rig for throwing on for a hike. I can carry my essentials and a Glock 19 in mine but have no way to carry water. Now I have a Kifaru hydro pack that hooks into the chest pack. It’s a pretty slick set up but I don’t think I’ll use it for turkey hunting unless it’s later in the season and I’m going for a long walk.

Online Lucky Goose

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2022, 10:11:24 AM »
I'm usually shedding clothes (at least a jacket) for much of the season and am not going to hunt with it tied around my waist.  Not to mention leafy suits, deer sheds, mushrooms, man...there's just too much to pack around.

I don't know how y'all manage not having a vest pouch. 

Offline Cbryant1

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2022, 03:20:14 PM »
I will say this...

I have looked at vests each year, and for the most part they all suck. 

I currently am using the Will Primos Signature vest and I actually love it.  It have everything I need, its super comfortable, with my biggest concern revolving around durability. 

I would love to see a Badlands vest as I am a big fan of their products.

So, I'm new to the forum. Been wanting to join for a while. I get a lot of reviews of gear from this forum. figured I would throw my opinion in the ring.
I am a avid turkey hunter. Consider myself somewhat of a minimalist as well. I like to have everything i need without bulk or weight. I travel turkey hunting to different states a lot each year and never know what situation or terrain i may find myself in. That being said, I have owned about every kind of turkey vest out there. Some I bought and sent back. I used a Cabela's tatical tat'r 2 for about 5 years and loved it. However, I felt it to be too heavy and hot for me in the late season. Last year i bit the bullet on the badlands vest in bottomland. In my opinion it is the best vest on the market for my style of hunting. Holds enough without being too bulky. It is extremely light weight, with tons of adjustment. Everything is laid out how i need it. everything sits chest high so it doesn't bunch up when you sit down, and the best part of the badlands vest is it has an identical seat pad layout as the tactical tat'r 2 vest ( which is the best part about the tac tat'r vest. I dont know why more companies don't remove magnets and go to this quick and silent elastic strap style seat). Anyways, thanks for listening. i have posted a picture of the vest below. Seems the only place you can find the vest in bottomland in on Amazon.
The badlands may not be for everyone, but for me and my style of hunting it is truly the perfect vest, and the quality is absolutely EXCEPTIONAL.
I'd be glad to answer any other question to people interested.