OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

sling on gun or not?

Started by DirtNap647, February 26, 2022, 11:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

strut

I've always removed my sling when big game hunting and when I set up on a turkey. I've put a Franchi 48AL 28 ga into a dedicated turkey gun. Have a Claw for the first time. Gonna see if I can shoot with it in place.

tikka

I carry my gun with a sling, since my hands are full and my plan is to come out heavy!!   

I remove the sling from the front for 2 reasons(but reading the posts I could be wrong)  1. I don't want it to get caught on anything 2) if the sling moves forward/back I am worried that it would make a noise to scare the birds if they are close.   I only remove the front now as I have left slings in the woods of leaving without a bird.

I also remove mine from my deer rifle.

cpreeves

I use a claw sling. Just tighten it up when I sit down and it doesn't move or get in the way

Notsoyoungturk

Claw sling on deer and turkey guns.  Don't remove.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Uncle Tom

I put my camo light weight sling in my shoulder bag folded up with a velcro strap around it.....only time I take it out is when I got to throw that bird over my shoulder or hands are full with whatever. Walk with my 6.0 lb Stevens 301 in hand and always ready to mount if needed in a hurry. Situations can happen fast chasing this ole bird and lot of movement getting that gun off your shoulder, so I never use a sling unless above.

Bowguy

Have never even thought of removing it and I can't even see how it gets in any way.

Uncle Tom

Bowguy, I agree it does not get in the way, but for me it does take a little more effort to mount the gun as quickly if traveling should you have an opportunity arise. To each his own, but I prefer not on gun unless I need it for caring my gun.

shaman

With few exceptions,  I've kept a sling on my shotgun for both deer and turkey seasons.  On my first trip out, schlepping my father's Model 12,  I noticed how cumbersome it was to go tromping through the woods with both hands full.  By the next year, I had my own shotgun, a Rem 1100, and it sported a sling.

The big thing for me is having both hands free while I'm walking. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

outdoorsmen

It's on 100% of the time...just backwards.  When I sling the gun on my back it's oriented muzzle down butt up.  I find it catches less limbs that way. The when setup the thinner more flexible portion is up front and not really in the way.