OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: First trumpet sound file  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Kygobblergetter

First trumpet sound file
« on: November 23, 2021, 02:44:01 PM »
I’m new to the trumpet game but have been putting in lots of practice. I know the keekee leaves a lot to be desired. Any advice is welcome

https://youtu.be/EcI5MJa6jZk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
Re: First trumpet sound file
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 09:28:51 AM »
I was hoping someone more proficient on suction yelpers would reply.   I think sometimes people are hesitant to reply first to these type of threads.   Hopefully others will chime in now after I go first.   
Keep in mind who this is coming from.  Coming from someone far from an expert.   

The yelps sound muffled or to open to my ears.   Sounds like the call needs to be pinched down either by lip placement or finger over the bell end, and probably both.   Some suction yelps have more open internals than others and this can make it harder to manipulate the air and hit the higher notes.    I’m hearing just a slight roll over from the high front end to the lower backend.   By pinching off the airflow you might be able to hit the higher front end.   Practice hitting and holding it first.   Don’t worry about the back end until you are satisfied with the front end.   Once you can hit and hold it, then work on dropping off to the backend.  I do this by slightly dropping my lower jaw while reducing airflow and pressure. 

The fast clucks/cutting sounds like your drawing way to much air and to long.   I’m hearing a slightly drawn out cluck instead of the short pop.  Also I know it was for the soundfile but to me that fast monotone pop pop pop doesn’t sound natural.   I think you need to reduce the amount of air pressure  and reduce the length.   I’d practice by first learning a real low volume cluck, then increase volume from there.   And I’d get away from the monotone pop pop pop.   I usually use 3 or 4 different volumes of clucks in a series and randomly spaced out.   It may be something like POP——-pop, Pop———-pop—-pop. Once your satisfied with your tones listen to audio of real hens and mimic their cadence.   Just like any call, you need cadence, tone and pitch.   I don’t know what trumpet you’re using but I’d try a few different makers to see if one is easier for you versus others.   What’s easier for me, someone else may find more difficult and visa-versa. 

You are close to putting it all together.   Just keep experimenting with pressures and lengths of airflow. 
Again this is coming from someone far from expert status.   And hopefully more qualified others will add their comments now.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 10:04:48 AM »
I have not read all of Mr. Ronnie’s reply so I may be repeating, I apologize if so.

It sounds like your draw is correct and you are not kissing the call. You are drawing too much air. It takes very little air flow to do anything on a trumpet. Work on your Yelp only.  If you can get a proficient Yelp you can do the rest. Get Yelp and then build from there. It is all about air flow and controlling the air flow. Biggest advice is practice and keep practicing. If you are having a bad session, put it down and walk away.

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 12:34:13 PM »
I was hoping someone more proficient on suction yelpers would reply.   I think sometimes people are hesitant to reply first to these type of threads.   Hopefully others will chime in now after I go first.   
Keep in mind who this is coming from.  Coming from someone far from an expert.   

The yelps sound muffled or to open to my ears.   Sounds like the call needs to be pinched down either by lip placement or finger over the bell end, and probably both.   Some suction yelps have more open internals than others and this can make it harder to manipulate the air and hit the higher notes.    I’m hearing just a slight roll over from the high front end to the lower backend.   By pinching off the airflow you might be able to hit the higher front end.   Practice hitting and holding it first.   Don’t worry about the back end until you are satisfied with the front end.   Once you can hit and hold it, then work on dropping off to the backend.  I do this by slightly dropping my lower jaw while reducing airflow and pressure. 

The fast clucks/cutting sounds like your drawing way to much air and to long.   I’m hearing a slightly drawn out cluck instead of the short pop.  Also I know it was for the soundfile but to me that fast monotone pop pop pop doesn’t sound natural.   I think you need to reduce the amount of air pressure  and reduce the length.   I’d practice by first learning a real low volume cluck, then increase volume from there.   And I’d get away from the monotone pop pop pop.   I usually use 3 or 4 different volumes of clucks in a series and randomly spaced out.   It may be something like POP——-pop, Pop———-pop—-pop. Once your satisfied with your tones listen to audio of real hens and mimic their cadence.   Just like any call, you need cadence, tone and pitch.   I don’t know what trumpet you’re using but I’d try a few different makers to see if one is easier for you versus others.   What’s easier for me, someone else may find more difficult and visa-versa. 

You are close to putting it all together.   Just keep experimenting with pressures and lengths of airflow. 
Again this is coming from someone far from expert status.   And hopefully more qualified others will add their comments now.

^^^
Exactly what He said, exactly

I would add I did hear a couple of half decent older Jake Kee Kee's, a couple of them were some of the better sounds on the clip

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 12:38:50 PM »
I agree with the Kee kee comment.    A little tweaking and getting comfortable with using them and  they will be spot on.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 04:07:49 PM »
Awesome. Thanks guys I really appreciate the responses! I’m hoping to be ready with the trumpet for this season. I’ll keep working and try to get more sound files out soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 04:29:51 PM »
I just saw this, but my opinion, new to yelpers....you're well on your way. I think you sounded pretty good considering.

I agree with what others were saying with your air volume. Try calling at about half that volume, using as little air as possible....it's all about control. I don't see you having any trouble getting better and better.

One thing to remember, turkeys can hear a very softly played trumpet, cane yelper or wingbone a long ways.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 12:49:26 PM »
I agree with everyone’s comments. I think you can call and kill turkeys now. Ez made good points about them being able to hear a long ways away. Practice your soft tree talk and you can always add volume to it. If you can hear him gobble he can definitely hear you even if you are playing softly. I am nowhere near expert level either but I do have success hunting with suction calls and enjoy hearing other people use them so thanks for sharing!!!!!