turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to fall hunting...

Started by suzukigs750ez, November 15, 2021, 02:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

It's a feat to take a turkey with a bow, but it's a hell of a feat to do it in fall especially being your first bird. Congrats! Whatever you do PLEASE take the radius bones out of her wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suzukigs750ez

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on November 18, 2021, 01:47:40 PM
It's a feat to take a turkey with a bow, but it's a hell of a feat to do it in fall especially being your first bird. Congrats! Whatever you do PLEASE take the radius bones out of her wings.

Thank you! I thought about the wingbone call AFTER I left. I cleaned it up and packed it out in the woods. The wings didn't make it out. I will get them in the next one.

crow

Quote from: suzukigs750ez on November 18, 2021, 02:50:53 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on November 18, 2021, 01:47:40 PM

Thank you! I thought about the wingbone call AFTER I left. I cleaned it up and packed it out in the woods. The wings didn't make it out. I will get them in the next one.

Go back now, it'll be worth it.
if it makes you miss your supper, it'll be worth it,
this would be one of the very few times it's acceptable to get a burger at Wendy's to eat on the way.

if your not going to make a call for yourself, send them to EZ on here and have him make you a call from your first turkey.

Congrats on your fall turkey, great job

If your still reading this, turn off the computer, grab a flash lite and go get your wings

suzukigs750ez

I'm going to venture out tomorrow and get them. Hopefully it's still there when I get there. I can't believe I forgot!

eggshell

Dang man, go back for that gobbler. Good job

suzukigs750ez

I got my wing bones today. I cut them with as much bone as I could while I read about the process. They're boiled and cleaned and for the most part I got the marrow out. The large one is very difficult to remove the marrow. But I got them!

crow

Good job getting the wings back,
the biggest bone, the humorous shouldn't have marrow in it, only a webbing of thin bone.

don't over boil trying to get that out or use bleach on them

suzukigs750ez

I boiled for fifteen minutes after cutting the ends off. The large bone is a pain to clean out but the others went easy. I'm going to let them dry and try to fit them. Should I use clear epoxy to seal them together?

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: suzukigs750ez on November 19, 2021, 02:10:49 PM
I boiled for fifteen minutes after cutting the ends off. The large bone is a pain to clean out but the others went easy. I'm going to let them dry and try to fit them. Should I use clear epoxy to seal them together?
I would take the radiuses, the smallest bones, and send them to someone like Tony Ezolt. Hen bones are about as rare as hen teeth and make the best suction call mouthpieces there are.

suzukigs750ez

Contact information please? I have done nothing with them otherwise. Hen bones are rare? Without sounding stupid, what's that mean? Tom wing bones are larger?

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: suzukigs750ez on November 19, 2021, 04:31:44 PM
Contact information please? I have done nothing with them otherwise. Hen bones are rare? Without sounding stupid, what's that mean? Tom wing bones are larger?
Tom and jake bones are substantially larger. Make a huge difference on the mouthpiece, huge huge difference on sound. Hen bones are the gold standard for bone mouthpieces and yes they're rare in the sense that most states hens can only be taken in fall, if taken at all, and most folks are still targeting bearded birds during that season. Tony goes by EZ on here. Send him a message. He makes incredible wingbones and Jordans.

EZ

Congrats on your bow kill. Beautiful beech woods on the video, what state?
Save those wingbones on all your birds, but as CCP says, those hen bones are the holy grail.

suzukigs750ez

Thank you all! I live in Connecticut. I am lucky enough to be one of only two allowed hunters on 90 acres of land. Yes, first kill with a bow and first Turkey with a bow and actually... ever. I need to get better with a pot call, I'd like to be able to kee kee and kee kee run and talk to the toms. One of the things I noticed was that morning it was very foggy which is obviously moisture rich so my crystal call was squeaking. It sounded horrible but I was still able to call them in somehow.

@ez I sent you a PM a bit ago, if you're reading this.

I think I'm going to go back out Sunday, I want to quit my job and day hunt now! Lol

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: suzukigs750ez on November 19, 2021, 08:19:47 PM
Thank you all! I live in Connecticut. I am lucky enough to be one of only two allowed hunters on 90 acres of land. Yes, first kill with a bow and first Turkey with a bow and actually... ever. I need to get better with a pot call, I'd like to be able to kee kee and kee kee run and talk to the toms. One of the things I noticed was that morning it was very foggy which is obviously moisture rich so my crystal call was squeaking. It sounded horrible but I was still able to call them in somehow.

EZ I sent you a PM a bit ago, if you're reading this.

I think I'm going to go back out Sunday, I want to quit my job and day hunt now! Lol
Moisture can be hell on a call, especially a pot call, and even more especially a slate call. I think eventually you'll want to move to diaphragm calls for the simple fact that if you want to continue to hunt with a bow that's something that requires two hands in a way a gun doesn't. Obviously you shoot a shotgun with two hands but I can run some other calls holding a shotgun. With a bow and a diaphragm you could be full draw and still hitting those last few closing calls if you had to.