OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Harrison Hoot'n Synthetic vs Walnut -- which produces a better sound?  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Gobblerwiia

I'm brand new to locator calls and ordered the Harrison Hoot'n Stick in both synthetic and wood. Also ordered the Gibson Long Range Crow call. I have two questions.

1) I've been practicing with both Harrison Hooters but the sound coming from the synthetic hooter sounds better to me than the walnut sound and I am more               consistent with the synthetic one as well. Is that similar to what others are experiencing?

2) A custom-made owl call is obviously more beautiful to the eye and a one-of-a-kind. Will it produce a better sound than the sythetic Harrison Hooter?

Offline Brwndg

Re: Harrison Hoot'n Synthetic vs Walnut -- which produces a better sound?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 06:03:19 PM »
Walnut looks nicer (IMO) but birds gobble at both equally.
Yes, I’ve taken both and had birds gobble at both on same morning.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline btodd00

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 11:31:39 PM »
To my ear, the wood one I heard someone else using  sounded better than the synthetic one that was in stock when I was ready to order but they could have just been better at using it. The turkeys don’t seem to mind the synthetic, no matter how bad I am at making owl sounds

Offline KYTURKEY

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 06:40:36 PM »
The synthetic will generally have a little more volume than the walnut. It also depends on how he tunes them. He could have one a little higher pitched than the other etc.

Patrick