OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New to pot calls, crystal mistress help  (Read 2077 times)

Offline suzukigs750ez

New to pot calls, crystal mistress help
« on: October 29, 2021, 10:43:35 AM »
Hey guys. I’m just getting into Turkey hunting this fall in New England and bought a pot call from David halloran called the crystal mistress.
I can get some sounds out of it but they definitely aren’t confidence inspiring.
How often do I condition the pot and striker? I bought a stone with the call.
Any good videos? I guess I’m having issues understanding how long to do one call, which one to start with or …
Also, what works better in fall than the spring?
Thanks!

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: New to pot calls, crystal mistress help
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 11:13:58 AM »
You Tube has several videos on beginner pot calling. Hope this helps

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »
Probably should have started out with a good slate call  more user friendly to work
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 12:31:53 PM »
Agree, slate, box call and push pin call... would of been better .... good luck, we all had to learn... spring is a better time for you to learn from making mistakes in hunting turkeys ... fall hunting is little different from spring hunting in my opinion..

Offline longbow59

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 03:46:21 PM »
That is really a great sounding call. I would try some different dymondwood strikers. Also striker angle and pressure are very important. Make sure your striker angle is staying consistent throughout the movement.

Offline suzukigs750ez

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 02:20:19 PM »
After practicing on and off the call sounds amazing. I can definitely tell the difference between the two strikers now, in the beginning they sounded too similar to me for me to really care for one over the other. Now i just need to figure out how often and what calls to make!

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 06:54:07 PM »
After practicing on and off the call sounds amazing. I can definitely tell the difference between the two strikers now, in the beginning they sounded too similar to me for me to really care for one over the other. Now i just need to figure out how often and what calls to make!
Agree with the above statements that a slate is a lot more forgiving surface to learn to run. That said, plenty of turkeys killed with nothing more than clucks. Clucks and purrs will kill turkeys anywhere. The hard part in fall is often getting up with them. Bigger issue, sounds to me like you’re unfamiliar with what natural turkey sounds sound like—the cadence, the rhythm, etc. I’d really recommend buying some of Lovett Williams CDs on ebay or off the website. Their super cheap and it’s just recordings of real turkey sounds. He made fall CDs and spring CDs, etc. Get those. Learn those sounds. Mimic those sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Triple B

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 08:35:46 PM »
Again as somebody mentioned,You Tube has some very good and helpful how to videos.And some solid advice by other posters,but alot of it you will learn on your own.
Best advice I can give you don't call too often.
Turkeys get wise quick to the same cadence,
and series of calls. Good luck moving forward ,this is one addicting way of life...