OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: dual use - turkey gun/small game  (Read 1952 times)

Offline GregN

dual use - turkey gun/small game
« on: October 28, 2021, 11:45:31 AM »
Hi Folks - I'm leaning towards the purchase of a 20 gauge shotgun that I want to use for both turkey as well as small game (primarily upland bird hunting).  For turkey, I want to use TSS so I'm thinking I want to step up to something other than just a single bead at the end of the barrel, for a sight, to get the most out of the shot pattern.

My question is, what are my best options for a sight for turkey hunting with TSS in the spring, that can be easily removed in the fall to revert back to the single bead for upland hunting, and then maintain zero when placed back on the gun the following spring?  Does the purchase of a shotgun with a drilled and tapped received offer better options than one without to address the above?

I appreciate any and all feedback; it seems like there are a lot of option out there with new ones popping up all the time, and I just can't keep up!

TX-GREG

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
Re: dual use - turkey gun/small game
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 12:27:15 PM »
I feel you will need to try it back in if removed the base and all.   Now if the base stays on the guns the pins that aline it will put it back most the time.     Now depends on the gun some have the raised rib and you just take off the sight leave the base.   

We feel that the drill/tap is the best way because then it is in place to stay.  Plus you run in to field of view problems in some cases.

just  :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 08:22:21 AM »
No special sight is needed for TSS. I have used it for several years with just the front bead. You need to pattern your gun to see where the center of your pattern is hitting. Put in your full choke and shoot a target load at 20 yards. If your shotgun comes with shims, you may need to adjust your POI. After your POI is where you want it, shoot the TSS load to make sure it is the same. If you want optics, just check sighting when you put it back on. Shouldn’t take too many shots to get it back on target. Better yet, buy two shotguns... good luck.

Offline Spark352

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 09:56:06 AM »
I just went through a similar problem. Wanted to be able to use my benelli nova for ducks and turkeys. I ended up purchasing a separate shorter barrel for turkeys that my optics and mount will stay on. Just swap barrels for each season. Not sure what gun you have or had in mind but this will probably be the best option for you. I have the mindset that if you remove the optic you should at least do a zero confirmation shot once reinstalled.

Online lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 10:57:39 AM »
I don’t know what gun you’re thinking of here but shooting over the bead does have it’s advantages when using one gun for everything. If you want to have sights or a red dot for turkey hunting then I think the two barrel idea would work the best for you. You don’t have the hassles with taking off the sight and base and rechecking your zero every time you what to change up and you also take a small risk with accidentally cross threading the screws into the receiver. A barrel changes out quickly and the sights mounted on it will maintain your zero. The main disadvantage is a lot of times a new barrel will cost half as much as the gun. I’m on this path right now having bought a used short barrel for my gun. Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline rong

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 01:48:54 PM »
I use a Retay Gordian Turkey with the standard full size stock. Slap a AT3 micro red dot on a meadow creek mount for the turkey. Easy to remove at the end of the season to go back to the bead. gun comes with a full set of 5 chokes and the full does excellent with TSS. On a side note, with a little practice you can wing shoot or hunt rabbits, etc. with the red dot just fine and never have to take it off.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2023, 06:52:40 PM »
I was fortunate when I bought my 2018 Mossberg "Baby" Model 500 Turkey .410 bore.  It came with double beads from the factory with the front being fiber optic.  It's fixed full but I measured the choke and it's .389 so it's really extra full.  It shoots POA=POI with both Winchester Super X 3" 6 shot and Federal Premium 3" TSS 9 shot.  I used it last fall several days for small game and also for spring gobbler. Sometimes you just get lucky.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!