OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Roost details  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Bingoman

Roost details
« on: October 12, 2021, 10:31:40 AM »
I've never spied turkeys in a roost tree. Is it common for them to all be in one tree, or a group of trees all nearby?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Roost details
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 10:38:27 AM »
I have seen occasional instances where turkeys would all roost in a single tree, but that has invariably been when that tree was the only suitable roost site in the area.  In my experience, it is much more likely that a turkey flock will roost in multiple trees that are fairly close to each other.  Conversely, I can't remember a time when I have seen a flock of turkeys disperse over a wide area when they go to roost. 

Now, we are talking about groups of turkeys of significant numbers here.  A small number of turkeys that are running together may well roost in the same tree under certain circumstances, especially at "traditional" roost sites.  Interestingly enough, even in places with many choices for turkeys to roost, they will often become loyal to roosting in a specific group of trees and will go to that roost site pretty much every night.   

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 12:45:31 AM »
This is true, but they are very picky in the trees they select. It has to be sheltered, and out of the wind.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 11:05:39 AM »
I have not figured out roosting as well as I would like...  But I have noticed a few things:

*With plenty of good roost trees...  I feel like it is more common to see boys in one tree (or several), and girls in another.  Outside of certain weather conditions, I do not typically see hens/toms in the same tree roosting (in my area).

*Hunting rolling oaks, I have noticed that turkeys seem to prefer digger pine roosts over the far more prevalent oaks.

*When they pitch out, it seems to me they prefer to fly downhill

*If you have a bowl that the birds like to strutt in, look about 3/4 the way up that ridge (surrounding the bowl) for a roost tree.

*I feel like the hens generally pitch out before the toms.  (Those first couple days when hens sit on the nest as opposed to roosting in trees, are prime times to pull in a tom right off the roost in the morning).

*I have been frequently surprised at how far away the toms will pitch down from the hens (already on the ground)...

*I feel like the toms are more choosy about a roost, and like the old dead snags, where hens are more likely to be in greened-up tree.  (Maybe due to better visibility or needing stouter branches?)

*Weather conditions can dictate differences in preferences for roosting trees.

*As more and more hens are sitting on the nest as the season progresses, toms will change roost trees by further and further distances.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.