OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: BPS 10 project.  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
BPS 10 project.
« on: September 14, 2021, 07:00:29 PM »
Bought a used 26" barreled BPS Stalker 10Ga with intent to modify to a turkey specific gun. I used it in its factory configuration to kill a nice Kentucky tom this past spring. After shooting the gobbler I tore it down and sent action to Rob Roberts to lighten the trigger and drill/tap for a Sumtoy FF base. They did an excellent job. While action was being worked on I sent barrel to Comp n Choke to have shortened to 21.5" and threaded for Tru-Choke threads and had them send me one of their turkey chokes in XXFull chokes. After getting both back I send gun to Ethridge Hydrographics in Cadiz Kentucky to have gun dipped in Old School  Mossy Oak Bottom Land. Just got gun back from them today, they also done excellent work as usual, I mounted Sumtoy base and FF3 torqued and Loc-tited, I shot Apex thru gun in factory configuration and it done great, I was using a Indian Creek in it then. I ordered enough reloading components to last me a life time but I am having trouble finding load information. I did contact Hawg Lips and he gave me a load that utilizes the same amount of shot as the Apex load but I would like to find other loads to try. Can anyone direst me to some load information? I am looking for something with a large payload of 2 5/8oz to 3oz load data. I have Cheddite hulls, Lil Gun powder, TPS wads and Mylar. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ridge Rooster

Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: BPS 10 project.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 07:13:43 PM »
I am sure someone is thinking you don't need 3oz of shot to kill a turkey, I know I have killed 6 with a 410 but this is a hobby and I am a pellet counter who loves to mess with loads. I have a good bit of shot but would be willing to purchase some more for load advice.

Thanks
Ridge Rooster

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 09:24:47 AM »
Shot Apex out of it in factory configuration with Indian Creek choke and got great patterns but the price went up to over $70 dollars for 5, Nitro has a 2 5/8oz load that I have not tried, Nitro also offers a 3oz lead load. Has anyone dissected an Apex or Nitro and figured out recipe?

Saw where Ballistic Products offers a manual for loading 10ga called "The Mighty 10". Question is for people who own or have looked at this manual and is it worth buying.

Thanks
Ridge Rooster

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 10:47:12 AM »
I know there is a couple members here that load tss/ hevishot in the 10, hopefully they see this and can help you out. Also, there was a member on duck hunters refuge who unfortunately passed on recently that has a book on reloading the 10. I think his wife is still selling them, i believe it is at the top of the page in the shooting forum. I don't know what all loads there are, but i believe they are all tested loads. might be worth a try. Sounds like your ten turned out awesome! I took a turkey this spring with mine with the new 24" barrel and indian creek .710. Used old Rem hevishot 6 shot.Tried to post up pattern pictures and stuff but i just can't get it to work!

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 02:39:01 PM »
Yes sir it turned out pretty nice. I will look into the manual you mentioned.

Ridge Rooster

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 02:40:54 PM »
yes I need to figure out how to post pictures. How was your pellet count with the 6's?

Ridge Rooster

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 09:07:03 AM »
The load was Remington Hevishot 1-7/8ths ounce 6 shot. I am not sure of the 10" count with this as i only have a small number left so i just shot a turkey head target to check poi. I had just patterned both Winchester 5s and old Rem 4x6 duplex, and both of them surprisingly shot identical 168 in the 10" at 30 yards with the 24" barrel and I.C. .710 choke. The Hevishot #6 was much denser than either of those loads on the turkey head. I normally pattern at 40, but where i shoot sometimes gets a little flooded and i can't set up target at that distance. All the patterns were very even, and to point of aim, slightly high, but i fixed that with a taller bead.I passed on a deal a few years ago to buy a bunch of those shells from another member, i just was short on cash at that time, and now i'm wishing i could have bought them. I had previously patterned them through a pure gold .680, and i think they were in the 170ish at 40. Hot core though, not forgiving for hunting with a bead. I decided i was just going to go back to using my 10 for waterfowl  and sold my turkey chokes. Then i was able to get a 24" barrel and decided to start taking it for turkey again lol!

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 09:36:25 AM »
When I used and checked pattern I used Apex ammo. It is exspensive but damn they pattern! 450 in 10" and another 300 in 20". I had adjustable sights I believe they were either Tru-Glo Mag Gobble Dots, or Williams Fire Sights. Just before season I put a Meadow Creek mount on rail with a FF3. After killing turkey I broke it down and sent it off to have it Drilled/Tapped for Sumtoy base for FF3.

Ridge Rooster

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 08:29:50 AM »
When I used and checked pattern I used Apex ammo. It is exspensive but damn they pattern! 450 in 10" and another 300 in 20". I had adjustable sights I believe they were either Tru-Glo Mag Gobble Dots, or Williams Fire Sights. Just before season I put a Meadow Creek mount on rail with a FF3. After killing turkey I broke it down and sent it off to have it Drilled/Tapped for Sumtoy base for FF3.

Ridge Rooster
Wow, I'd say that's some impressive numbers! What size shot in the Apex shell?I tried a meadow creek on mine, but it sat a little too high for me. I would have to raise the comb on the stock to get a good cheekweld, and i didn't want to mess around doing that on a dual purpose gun. If i come across another 10 i will probably do what you did and go the drill and tap/Sumtoy mount. Yea i can't get the picture posting thing figured out. My son, who is fairly computer savvy, couldn't get it to work either. We couldn't get the pictures to re-size to post.He said he would try to figure it out again when he gets some free time.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 08:42:45 AM »
I just got a new mag spring and follower in yesterday. I figured i would put in a fresh one before waterfowl season for preventative maintenence. I got them from midwest gun works. I have a lot of steel shot for it, so it is going to be my main gun this season. I have a small reserve of 12 gauge steel, so i am going to use that only on certain hunts.Hard to find steel 12 gauge now, especially cases. We usually stock back up after season, but with the current ammo situation it's been difficult.Thankfully 10 gauge has been readily available, so i stocked up on it earlier this year.I know the only 10 gauge turkey ammo i could find locally was the Winchester and Remington. I wanted to try the new Federal grand slams with the flex-wad, but couldn't find any. I have a decent amount of turkey loads, so i am set for a few years,  hopefully by then the ammo situation will have improved.

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 02:08:18 PM »
Shot size in Apex TSS that I was using is #9's. These rounds produced similar numbers in my buddies SP10 and his H+R 10. I think you can get 8's and maybe even 7's in the Apex but they say the 9's will kill them way out further than I ever plan to shoot.

Really want to get the handloads developed because of the price on the Apex.

Macks Praire Wings had some Mag Blend turkey loads last time I looked. They say they are the best factory patterning ammo turkey ammo other than Apex or Nitro. I have not tried them but hear they are great and half the price almost of Apex.

I got fat cheeks so the Meadow Creek did fine for me. I may wind up putting a God A Grip shotgun wedge on stock, I have done this on several of my other turkey guns, just to give my eye a little lift and cheek a little cushion.

Ridge Rooster

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 04:33:27 PM »
Just shot an Apex thru my gun with the Comp N Choke XXfull and it did 400 in 10" at 40 yards. Good but my Mossberg 835 with Indian Creek .675 put 470 in 10".
If I am gonna pack the big 10 I want to see a bit more than what the Mossberg will do that is why I have purchased reloading components. I am also gonna see if Mr. William at Sumtoy can make me a little tighter choke.

Ridge Rooster

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 07:36:04 AM »
I'm sure Sumtoy can get a choke built that will shoot what your looking for. I may try the Magblends in the future, i have heard they are very good in the 10 also. I know they pattern very well in my 12 gauges. That Tss though is on another level altogether when it comes to performance. I am pretty content at the moment with how my gun is shooting, I wanted a forgiving pattern at closer range with the bead, and for the most of the areas i hunt it's near ideal. Downside is there are sometimes i may have to let one walk in more open terrain. It is fun and addictive though to try and get a gun shooting at it's maximum potential,  I have had a lot of enjoyment and personal satisfaction testing and trying new combos during the summer. Looking forward to hearing how your 10 patterns with the tss handloads and new choke combo.

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 11:38:18 AM »
Will keep you posted. My goal is to see 500 in 10" and 300+ in 20". I have a list of some loads I have gathered and still in searching for more. I know that Nitro Ammunition Company offers a load that they say will do what I am after but dang they exspensive!

Ridge Rooster

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 04:27:32 PM »
Cleaned bore really well and shot another Apex about 1hr ago. Got 515 in 10" and 238 in 20" at a laser ranged 40 yards. Would just buy Apex if it wasn't so high.

Ridge Rooster
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 06:29:41 PM by Ridge Rooster »