turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How long do they last and maintence

Started by ar21angler, January 19, 2022, 10:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ar21angler

Hi guys this must seem like a silly question but how long does a good box call last? I have accumulated a small collection  of calls mostly box and trumpets and was wondering how long these calls can be expected to retain their acoustic qualities? My trumpets have buffallo mouth pieces and some of my boxes are 20 years old. What can I do to keep tjem in good shape?

ChesterCopperpot

Stored in a good climate controlled space, forever. Or at least a lot longer than any of us can hope to live. I've heard of folks using a a real light coat of a furniture wax on the call when they put it up for the year, obviously nothing internal on the inside of the lid or on the rails or anything, but I've personally never done that. I usually just take a damp paper cloth and get all my chalk off the lid and rails, make sure that dries well, and leave them till next season. The chalk will draw and hold moisture. Even that's probably not a huge deal. I've sure played a couple old Lynch calls that weren't babied or taken care of that sounded good and were older than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Had the privilege to see and hear a Buice BRW flat top from the 1960s at Unicoi. It seemed to be doing well and had a lot of life left in it. You should have no trouble using them for your lifetime.  Was the trumpets every so often and you should be good to go.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

As long as you take care of them, they will last a long long time. Probably longer than most of us will ever live ...

ferocious calls

Indefinitely if cared for. I hope for some of the hundreds of cases made to be around for centuries. They are still available upon request.  3 call cases also available. The 8 call case is in its second series of 100 and is on around #7.
3 call case is also 2nd series of 100 and is at about #10. Will also make custom cases for you, or your collection.