OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Is Checkering Profound  (Read 1684 times)

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
Is Checkering Profound
« on: September 01, 2021, 03:35:30 PM »
Since Neil Cost is credited with developing the feature of checkering the sides of a box call, at least with his style of call; the gibson, hen boxes, turpins and others notwithstanding, why don't all established and experienced box call builders of his call style checker their calls?  Has it not been established that checkering does enhance/assit in the sound quality of a box call and if so, why do some callmakers choose to keep their sides smooth?

If Neil was younger when he created checkering and if his health was better, would/could he have gone further with it's development and possibly even created other innovations with the box call.  This is related to my Legendary status thread of a callmaker and IMO Neil was indeed a Legend largely on the basis of his innovation and the profound impact it had on the craft of building box calls.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: Is Checkering Profound
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 04:25:01 PM »
From what I understand ,, yes ,, it changes the tone like the pot call  wall 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 06:39:08 PM »
In my opinion, a true Cost style box is checkered both lid and sides. I believe Cost style is, and should be, the standard for premium box calls, although Mr. Watkins style has changed some minds. Checkering takes time, skill and patience which adds to the cost, and rightfully so. It's great to see some of the best Cost style (checkered) callmakers offering a non-checkered box at a price most any turkey hunter can afford.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 03:06:51 PM »
I really don't care what the sides of the call looks like as long as the call has good tones and sounds coming from the lid, rails and sound chamber .. Nothing wrong with any style of box, plain, checkered or old hen pattern. Quality, craftsmanship and turning qualities just separates good builders from the not so good call builders. IMO .. Some builders think the turkey they hear and build into a call is a great sounding call, no so in my opinion, that'd the reason i would say all of us have a sound quality we are looking for in calls of any type.

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 05:23:58 PM »
 It doesn't matter to me if the box is checkered or not. I like a certain sound and if the box is checkered, grooved side or smooth side isn't important to me. I have taken turkey's with the 3 types I mentioned, but have had my best luck with a grooved sided box by Preacherman a walnut over cedar that has been responsible for the harvest of 9 gobblers in the last 4 years and called in many more.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j3CnvQ]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j3CniF]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mkRcsw]

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 05:30:29 PM »
I agree with you Yelper.. those are some nice gobblers ... congrats ... nice call also..

Offline RND1983

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 07:49:43 PM »
I can’t say I can tell a huge difference, but I sparingly use a box call. I’ve never really thought about the checkering having an affect on the sound.

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • It's about the journey, not the outcome
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 09:00:13 PM »
    Jody doesn't checker his calls and the ones I own sound as good as any of the great checkered boxes I have. Same goes for Dawkins and Watkins styles. But, there is something about the feel of a Cost stlye box that is always appealing in the hand, almost comforting.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 06:27:59 AM »
On most factory muscle cars over the years the hood scoops never worked,,they just looked cool
The checkered sides and tops of a box call are just plain nice to look at when your sitting under a tree all day instead of something that looks like a coffin for a chipmunk. I for one will always buy the checkered option if a call maker offers it has a choice. I
And bring on the inlays too!!! Double ones if you can fit them they look like racing stripes on that muscle car.

What I don't understand is making a beautiful long box paddle and then scribbling all over it with what looks like a felt pen,,in most instances that's considered vandalism or graffiti and you call the janitor to fix it. this is one tradition that I wouldn't mind seeing go by the wayside
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 07:51:34 AM by Happy hooker »