turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Albert Paul first box recommendation

Started by spurs2bgobblin, August 24, 2021, 04:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spurs2bgobblin

Well as the title says I'm looking for my first Albert Paul box call and can't decide on maple over walnut or maple over persimmon. Looking for a cleaner yelp but not too clean, haha.

What are your thoughts?

Also interested in juniper, mulberry and aspen for a box wood. Anyone have have a combo with those?
"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

Spring Creek Calls

I've owned a few of Albert's calls and two of my favorites are all walnut and persimmon over black limba. Both should meet your criteria of a clean yelp with some bark at the end, my sought after sound also.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

3bailey3

RND1983

spurs2bgobblin

Already have a great walnut over poplar cost box from another maker so I'm looking for something a little different. I can imagine it's a great combo though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

shatcher

Zobo

I have that exact combo, maple over walnut, from Albert Paul. He made it for me in 2014 and it has what I would call a medium hen sound, not too old raspy and not too young jenny.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

spurs2bgobblin

Good to hear. I'm leaning toward maple over walnut unless someone talks me into maple over persimmon.

shatcher

Call Albert and talk to him.  He's a real gentleman and will give you good advice.

wolfman

Quote from: shatcher on August 25, 2021, 07:56:38 AM
Walnut over cedar just kills turkeys.
That's the combo I have.  Love it.

Zobo

Quote from: shatcher on August 27, 2021, 08:29:19 AM
Call Albert and talk to him.  He's a real gentleman and will give you good advice.

Agree with this, he can tell you which woods he has that are working well for the sound you want. He is a really nice person to talk to in my experience.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Happy hooker

Is there a safer or more easier to tune combination then walnut over butternut,,,I find it a little plain to look at but that combo can be tuned perfect to any tone other then extreme rasp.

spurs2bgobblin

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll definitely give Mr. Paul a call when I place an order.