OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 100 pellets in 10" circle?  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Franklin7x57

100 pellets in 10" circle?
« on: August 24, 2021, 02:03:35 PM »
I know 100+ pellet in 10" circle is the "standard", how does that workout on a turkey target?

Offline SwampRooster17

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: 100 pellets in 10" circle?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 04:56:17 AM »
I would treat my point of aim as the center of the 10” circle. Then draw your circle around that point and count all holes in the circle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 06:02:24 AM »
If I understand your question correctly, you are asking how many pellets in a turkey head/neck target is equivalent to 100/10" circle. A 10" circle has 78.5 sq in, so 100 pellets is 1.27 pellets per sq in. A turkey's head and spinal column in the neck represents about 4 sq in, so 4 x 1.27 = approximately 5 pellets in the skull and neck vertebrae, and it only takes one. But shooting and then drawing a 10" circle around the densest  part of your pattern is a much less random and more accurate way to evaluate your patterns.

Offline Franklin7x57

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 07:22:44 AM »
Thanks. I know it was worded badly, lol. I use the 10" rule for sighting in, but bored and thinking. With the lead guys leads looking at 100+ pellet count and TSS guys looking at a lot more, how it translates to actual hits in a turkey. I can use the math now, thanks.

Offline firedup

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 09:22:13 PM »
For years before TSS / HTL it was always desirable to see consistant 7-10+ pellets in the vital head / neck area of a turkey target.  Whatever the shell and load. And that result was considered a good killing pattern and consistantly killed alot of turkeys.  I agree with the above posts. Shoot several patterns, measure 10" from the center of the densest part of the pattern.  Hopefully your POA is the same.  Then if possible adjust your sights / shot to that POI.  That will give you the best dense pattern overall.  Hope that made sense.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 10:26:40 PM »
I have been working on some 1.25oz loads of #6 magnum shot for an old gun and have been using an 870 with an extended .670 choke as a comparison.

This should be close to a comparable load to what Henry Davis used in His first WW Greener, a 2.75" gun.
His gun was shooting 84% patterns in the 30" circle at 40 yards, I wanted to see how my 2 guns patterned compared to what Mr. Davis would of been hunting with back then.

In the 870 an 86% pattern is the best the gun has done so far with this load of 1.25ounces of magnum #6 shot. 86% is 237 pellets in the 30" (out of 277 pellets). the best 10" inside the 30" circle had 69 pellets in it. This was also using buffer which the Super X load Mr. Davis used did not have.

I have a clear plastic overlay of the realistic kill areas of a gobbler skull and neck bone. Putting that over top the 10" there were 2 areas where there were only 3 pellets that would of been actual kill shots,  everywhere else in the 10" had at least 6 lethal pellets.

The old 12 gauge gun is choked xtra full, not as tight as the 870, 78% patterns have been the best so far. This is 215 in the 30", with the best 10" inside the 30" having 60 pellets. The skull/ neckbone had 1 area with only 2 lethal pellets and 3 areas with 3 lethal pellets, the rest of the 10" had 5-6 lethal kill pellets in the skull/neck bone.

Later Mr. Davis went to a 3" Greener and shot the 1.5oz SuperX load and eventually the 1 5/8oz load.
The 1.5oz load of #6's would of been roughly 20 more pellets in the 10" than the 1.25 oz load had.
Easy to see why people increased pellet count in turkey loads.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 09:57:03 PM »
I would treat my point of aim as the center of the 10” circle. Then draw your circle around that point and count all holes in the circle

I would only treat POA as the center of density if I was not using an adjustable sighting system of one sort or another.  Otherwise........find the heaviest 10" area of density and adjust sighting to MAKE that (the center of POI) my center.

Helpful hint :  A clear plastic 10" Chinet plate make a wonderful tool for finding your density center.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 01:09:47 AM »

I would only treat POA as the center of density if I was not using an adjustable sighting system of one sort or another.  Otherwise........find the heaviest 10" area of density and adjust sighting to MAKE that (the center of POI) my center.

Helpful hint :  A clear plastic 10" Chinet plate make a wonderful tool for finding your density center.

That’s a good hint to use, thanks.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr