OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Crow Call Mouthpieces  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Seth41

Crow Call Mouthpieces
« on: July 27, 2021, 03:12:48 PM »
I’ve been looking at various makers crow calls lately and with the exception of the wooden mouthpiece/reed holders the plastic ones all look exactly the same on most of the calls.  Is there one large maker of these plastic mouthpieces that all crow call makers use or is it just a design thing that makes them all look the same.  I noticed you can buy the mouthpieces and reeds cheap and in bulk for making these calls.

Cheers, Seth
Seth Hamon
2024 Grand Nationals 1st Trumpet Tom Turpin Award
2024 Grand Nationals 2nd 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals 5th Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals - 2nd - Jordan Yelper
2023 Grand Nationals 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Grand Nationals 3rd Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2022 Buckeye World 1st & 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Buckeye Worlds 2nd Trumpet Hunting

Offline NCbowjunkie

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Crow Call Mouthpieces
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 08:45:26 PM »
I can assure you that not all crow mouthpieces are equal  I only use one type. I get these molded and then I modify them and hand tune to my liking. The ones I use are the only set that I can get the best sound from. Some will never be tuned to sound right no matter what you do to them. Just a bad mold setup from the start. You have to have mouthpieces that you can work with  from the start. You

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 12:35:19 AM »
What he said^
Not all the same...at all. And what people are missing is the modification and tuning. Most guys just shove a set of mouthpieces into a barrel...that ain't what you do.

Offline Seth41

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 10:03:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies, that’s good to know.  I guess it’s similar to the musical instrument making business I’m in.  You have some folks who just follow a set of plans and assemble an instrument and other who do the same but fettle and tweak until it’s just right.   In my business it usually comes down to experience and time spent perfecting the craft which Im sure relates to call making just the same. Thanks again for the replies,

Seth Hamon
Seth Hamon
2024 Grand Nationals 1st Trumpet Tom Turpin Award
2024 Grand Nationals 2nd 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals 5th Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals - 2nd - Jordan Yelper
2023 Grand Nationals 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Grand Nationals 3rd Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2022 Buckeye World 1st & 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Buckeye Worlds 2nd Trumpet Hunting