turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

10 gauge H&R or 835 ?

Started by Bobby5, March 08, 2020, 10:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5

I have a h&r 10 gauge turkey and a 835 turkey. Which one would you guys use? I like the sights on the 835 better the 10 gauge is just a bead. Is there much of a advantage with a 10 gauge ?
Thanks

bkraft

Which one fits the best? They both will kick you hard enough to detach your retina.

Old Timer

10 gauge ammo is much more expensive and not as available. That 835 will do everything a 10 will do!

1iagobblergetter

If i liked the sights on the 835 id take the 835 if i was unwilling to change them on the H&R. I wouldn't even throw a 3.5 in it,but that's just me. With the evolution in ammo you wouldn't have to if you do your homework.

RED NECK

I went through this last spring,I purchased a really nice 10 ga bps nwtf and then could only find average ammo and It was average shooting at 40 yards yet was a tank to carry and my 20's patterned a lot better,and at further distance..I sold that gun last fall as soon as I could and got every penny I had spent on it,chokes and ammo.I had always wanted a 10 for turkeys and now I would never even consider another until they start producing the same ammo for it as they do the 20 and 12 for turkey loads.They really are outdated for turkey hunting.

I vote 12 gauge by a landslide.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Bowguy

Around 1990 I was shooting my mag 10. The bolt busted the day before the season doing one last check. I ran to the store asking about another 10. My buddy worked there recommended an 835.
Being he had no 10s left I settled. You know I never hunted w the 10 again. Still sitting in my safe. The 835 threw patterns that were just as good and it weighed a lot less. To me no question, get the 835. I will say though there's something cool bout a 10. I shot one a few years back w my buddy's single shot.
I'd still say day in day out, 835

Turkeytider

Quote from: bkraft on March 08, 2020, 12:54:50 PM
Which one fits the best? They both will kick you hard enough to detach your retina.

No truer words! I`ll throw in an 870 Super Mag SP-T also. Limbsavers are a godsend with those guns, IMHO.

bear hunter

I would go with the 835 I hunted with a h and r 10 and killed a lot of turkeys with it but as mentioned decent ammo is hard to find.

bbcoach

835 everyday and twice on Sunday.  I own an 835 and have hunted it for about 12 years now.  They pattern Great.  There are plenty of chokes available and the 835 shoots most shells extremely well.  Good luck!   

lowoctane

Quote from: bbcoach on March 08, 2020, 08:46:57 PM
835 everyday and twice on Sunday.  I own an 835 and have hunted it for about 12 years now.  They pattern Great.  There are plenty of chokes available and the 835 shoots most shells extremely well.  Good luck!

X2! But invest in a Limbsaver recoil pad!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

the Ward

Love my 10 gauge bps, but it is mostly a dedicated goose gun now. I would take the 835 if i were you. Lots of reasonably priced ammo and choke choices for the 835. If your going to use the 10, your best bet on ammo for good patterns is to use the hevi magblends or fed heavy weight 7s. If you can find some of the old discontinued remington hevi shot turkey loads, they pattern good also. The standard lead 10 gauge turkey loads pattern about like a good 3.5 12 gauge would. Nothing wrong with that though, it will certainly do the job out to 40 yrds. With all the new advancements in turkey ammo and chokes, sometimes we forget that 100 hits in the 10 circle at 40yrds will still kill turkeys!

trkehunr93

I would hunt with what you want but if I had to choose I'm partial to the 835 (hunted with one since'06), with lead to TSS your going to find plenty of ammo options in a 3" shell and lots of chokes that work well with it. 

Elmerfudd

Killed my first 6 easterns with a BPS 10 ga that doubled as my goose gun. Had a 30" barrel and weighed a ton, seriously killed on both ends with heavy turkey loads. Then I handled a Super Black Eagle. It was over. It still kicked but was so much lighter and faster handling. The ten was sold along with some other surplus guns and I bought the Benelli. A few years later I won an 835 all tricked out for gobblers at an NWTF banquet. Killed my first slam with it and passed it down. Something about that gun - wow was the recoil brutal and the muzzle blast deafening.

With TSS coming available Im now shooting a 20 gauge M2. Giving up nothing performance wise and 5.7lbs to carry. SBE for backup gun in case something goes south during the season.

If those were my only choices Id take the 835 and find a 3" TSS load for it.

Cruiser

What year did you win the NWTF 835?