OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need advice

Started by Footballer, June 01, 2011, 11:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

I'm an avid turkey hunter and love everything about the sport. I'm giving some serious thought into making my own calls but can't decide if I should take the plunge or not. I have no wood working skills or the proper equipment.

I think I would really enjoy making my own calls but I don't want to just impulsively jump into this hobby.

I'd appreciate any advice from those who were in my similar situation and also any insight as to what I can expect if I do decide to pursue this.

I've got a pretty good idea of what I need equipment wise. I'm searching craigslist for a wood lathe and drill press. Is there anything else I would need to get started other than sharp tools for the lathe?

lightsoutcalls

Patience is an absolute must.  You won't find that on Craigslist.  Be ready to spend a good bit of money on tools, wood and supplies.  Don't expect to be able to produce a call that sounds like a turkey within the first few tries... especially if you have no woodworking skills.  Be aware that any tool has the ability to injure you.  Blades don't care what they cut, they were just designed to cut. 
I had no experience with a wood lathe before trying to turn turkey calls, but I did have several years experience working with other power tools.  Different woods respond differently to the same tools due to density, etc.  One wood may cut smooth and easy, while another may "grab" your gouges and toss them across the shop like a rocket. 
I'm not trying to scare you off, just trying to let you know it may not be as easy as you think.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

oneshotcalls

Footballer

Thanks for your response!

I have a belt sander and a drill press already, so I just need the lathe and tools to go with it.

Is this a skill that anyone can learn? I don't expect it to be easy, but I'd like to make decent calls in a relatively short time.

As far as safety goes, do accidents occur mostly do to inexperience or is it just the nature of the tools used?

swampgobbler

Quote from: Footballer on June 01, 2011, 02:00:16 PM
Thanks for your response!

I have a belt sander and a drill press already, so I just need the lathe and tools to go with it.

Is this a skill that anyone can learn? I don't expect it to be easy, but I'd like to make decent calls in a relatively short time.

As far as safety goes, do accidents occur mostly do to inexperience or is it just the nature of the tools used?

When I first started making calls, all I had was a jig saw and a drill press.  Add in sandpaper and lots of determination, and I was able to produce calls that could kill birds.  What takes me an hour to do now use to take me 8.  My point is, anyone can do it as long as they are patient.  I had no lathe skills and limited wood working skills.  I will tell you that this hobby is not cheap.  But it can be very rewarding.  In answer to your question, most accidents occur because of inexperience and impatience.  Always wear your safety equipment and treat your tools with respect.  Good luck to you!!!
!!

KryptoniteKills

If you are serious about making calls go into it with an open mind. I started on the lathe making bowls and such which gave me the basic understanding of what and how each lathe tool worked and then it progressed to calls. The best advise I can give is to be patient and buy a good book about woodturning. The information contained in the book will shorten your learning curve and help keep the accidents to a minimum, since improper use of the tools is the cause of most accidents. Good luck and don't give up.

Cut*N*Run

If you want an intermediate step rather than jumping right in, check out the "kits" from Joe at brookside calls (http://brooksidegamecalls.com/).

He has pre-turned pots that you can buy along with the surface and soundboard materials. A little sanding, finishing, and gluing, and you'll have a pot call. It's not a true custom call, but it will give you some experience with the "back half" of call-making as well as a good look at what the pot should more or less look like when you do buy your lathe and start turning them out.

I will say that I find it annoying when people buy those kits for pot calls, long boxes, one-siders, and half-moon boxes, and then finish them and pass them off as true custom calls to unsuspecting customers- fine if you advertise it as an inexpensive but great sounding semi-production call, but don't let people think you're actually making them if that's not the case.

Having said that, his stuff does make for a good starter step into call-making. I made 3 pot calls of his, and then just gave them away when I started turning out my own. Glad I went that route as I think I would have been too intimidated to jump fully into call making from scratch.

cleanslate

I too had no custom woodwokring experience when I decided to start making my own calls. Once I got my first lathe I started practiceing on some scrap pieces of framing lumber (2X4's, 2X6's) and be fore I know it I was stopping at teh local woodcraft buying wood to start turning into calls. The basics of turning stuff on a lathe is pretty easy if you have a basic mechanical knowledge and a little common sense. That being said, I am just using a simple lathe that I picked up at H/F and it works just fine. Also don't limit yourself to just making calls. When I first got a wood lathe it was for just that purpose-to make calls with. It wasn't very long before I found myself starting to dabble into making bowls and only recently have I started making pens as well, so keep an open mind when you first start turning. As stated above, respect the tools that you get, and get some safety equipment for yourself. I would recomend getting yourself a face shield and some sort of resperator. And no loose clothing, remember that lathe will be spinning from anywhere between 500-3000 RPM, catch a bracelet, necklace, or shirtsleeve & it gets nasty, quick. All in all woodturning is a very fun & addictive hobby to get into, and if you get the tools & decide that it isn't for you, you can always sell the tools and recoup a little money back. I say go for it, take the plunge. You most likely won't regret it.

Derrick.

pappy

I was working with wood for 30 years before I started into making turkey calls, I turned bowls and ball bats ... crochet hooks and duck calls....and then I started to use what I learned from these on my pot calls and strikers. You must have read at least 6 excellent responses to your inquiry, but I would like to add a little bit of my two cents, SAFETY IS THE KEY.....do not get out there and grab your self a chisel and stick it into the lathe without understanding what it is you are  about to get into. Wendell said it right, these tools are made to cut and they don't care what it is they are cutting...READ..READ..READ....get yourself into a couple really good books on handling shop tools, try to find books that cover aspects on all the tools you are going to be working with, one suggestion was to respect your tools, and this is so true, you will most likely be using them for a long time, setup and keep them operable so they will benefit you, and there are books out there that will explain a lot more then any operator manual will, handling different calls and kits is a plus, I didn't think of that when I started, I just learned the hard way, but the suggestion about getting started like thatis good, one thing, do not go out and buy the most expensive woods yet, start with something cheap till you get the hang of what you are doing, and work towards goosd sound first....looks will come second, sit down and plan out what you are wanting to make in the way of calls and obtain your tools accordingly , then if you see the need to expand, purchase others later. Pick up a mid size lathe, not a micro or mini....as you will be limited to too much small stuff if you don't, a four jaw chuck is a must and a simple set of good quality chisel is a plus, I use my belt sander to sharpen my chisels and polish them on a polishing setup I made, sharp tools is a must, ask any of these guys....learn to set up the tool rest and keep it set up right according to the height of the piece, speed kills, use only what you need to accomplish your goal in the turning...and there is so much more ... butyou will learn by experience and by asking questions, as there are always answers to be found here on OG...hope this helps some, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

smurf

Just to see what you are getting into go to youtube.com and search for turkey calls.   There are probable a dozen videos or more that will give you an idea what goes on.  Good luck.  It will soon become an obsession instead of a hobby.  But that's just my $.02 worth.  Mike
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

3inchstrutbuster

the only wood working experience i had when i started was a 7th grade shop class i have learned a lot since i started making calls the first advice i would give is use a resperator and be safe

Footballer

Thanks for all the advice! I have ordered several pre-cut pots, surfaces, striker materials, etc. from brooksidegamecalls.com and I'm already addicted!

I'm still deciding whether or not to take the plunge. I may just stick with the pre-cut stuff to use for hunting and give some away to friends.