OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Competition Calls  (Read 3534 times)

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
Competition Calls
« on: July 23, 2021, 08:53:19 AM »
Do the judges like what we call makers and hunters like, or do they like something different?  Why would competition calls be 'different' than any other great hunting call built?  When we see how so many of us prefer differing sound qualities....clear yelp...more rasp, less rasp, high pitch... and so on, would the National Competition for call making be different if it was held in somewhere North Dakota or somewhere in Maine?

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Competition Calls
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 09:27:56 AM »
I know from purchasing calls from T J and Marlin in person, they make calls especially just for the guys calling in a competition. They usually just sell those type calls to those guys. Now I'm not saying a competition caller can't use other type calls..

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 10:23:12 AM »
I kinda wonder about this with some of these state comps. Seems to vary from one comp to the other on what sounds the judges like. There's a couple comps that recently adopted the old school sound where there isn't much if any of a high front, and hardly any rasp. Then others like the opposite.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Online ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 11:05:13 AM »
On the National Competition level they have had judges that could not play some calls, so how could the competition be fair. I have heard they are begging for judges now.

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 12:20:56 PM »
I kinda wonder about this with some of these state comps. Seems to vary from one comp to the other on what sounds the judges like. There's a couple comps that recently adopted the old school sound where there isn't much if any of a high front, and hardly any rasp. Then others like the opposite.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

This is precisely what I have been thinking about and it's intersting to me anyway, how it has changed over the years.  When Mike Lapp, Don Chancey and Scott Baseshore were going head to head, the overall sound carried a clearer tone and no where near as much rasp as we hear nowadays.  Not wrong, or right...just different.  I know this, the calls by these three gentleman have been responsible for countless great turkey hunts and harvests!

I should have said that as a box call builder who has entered competitions for many years now, I am all too familiar with what can happen and while I do understand and accept that we are all human, I am not so concerned about the calling quality of the judges....not in this post anyway.

Online 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 06:28:03 PM »
I went to a NWTF pot calling comp. at my local Bass Pro a few years ago and was surprised by how many of the guys were using older Cody pots, both slate and glass..

Online SS Calls

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Southwest Virginia
    • SS Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 07:43:47 AM »
 Good luck with figuring that out Scott.  Take 5 sets of judges, and let each set of judges judge the same calls, and you'd probably get 5 different winners. As for killing turkeys, all the sounds you described kill birds, and the call that's the best one day, may not be best the next. 6 of 7 gobblers we killed this year were from a box call I just couldn't let out of my shop. The gobblers loved it though. lol.  Comps are fun, but we both know where the true judges of a call live.  :icon_thumright:

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 08:08:15 AM »
Good luck with figuring that out Scott.  Take 5 sets of judges, and let each set of judges judge the same calls, and you'd probably get 5 different winners. As for killing turkeys, all the sounds you described kill birds, and the call that's the best one day, may not be best the next. 6 of 7 gobblers we killed this year were from a box call I just couldn't let out of my shop. The gobblers loved it though. lol.  Comps are fun, but we both know where the true judges of a call live.  :icon_thumright:

Pretty much spot-on.  Yep.

Judges are humans and, in that, are subjective, one to the other.  What sound, inflections and cadence one wants to hear may not match, exactly, the expectations of another.  As for what callmakers label a "competition call"............some of it, I think, is a sound that competitors look for.  Some of it is the consistency of the way the call runs to eliminate a possible flub-up.  I have a grand total of one "competition call".  And there was a little bit of hesitancy by the maker to sell it to me because I only compete in the woods.  But he was very gracious and let me take it home.  It's 150% hen and has the most consistent "bite" of any box call I own.  That call did very well in the woods competition this spring.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 09:17:15 AM »
My impression for all of these upper-level competitions nowadays is that it is more about knowing the judges and their preferences more-so than the calls used.  The abilities of the callers are so close anymore that it comes down to the subjectivity of the judges, not calling ability.  I suspect position in the calling rotation plays a significant role, as well. 

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 09:32:35 AM »
In the end it's all about the score sheet... totals ..

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 09:33:50 AM »

I agree Al

Online Wvgobbler

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 01:52:14 PM »
X2
I agree Al

Offline Matt k

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 07:36:11 PM »
I guess that’s why Darrin Dawkins logo says “judged by nature “

Offline trb136

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 03:13:48 PM »
Do the judges like what we call makers and hunters like, or do they like something different?  Why would competition calls be 'different' than any other great hunting call built?  When we see how so many of us prefer differing sound qualities....clear yelp...more rasp, less rasp, high pitch... and so on, would the National Competition for call making be different if it was held in somewhere North Dakota or somewhere in Maine?
I never understood why a callmaker would build something any different for a comp that they wouldn’t sell a customer. I know each callmaker has a sound in their head they want to get out of there call. I guess that’s what makes it unique. I think Al nailed it there are so many different opinions on sound.  I am judging Grand Nationals this weekend I know what I want to hear from a call..

Offline KYTURKEY

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 08:42:53 PM »
I judged the box call division for 10 years.  As far as sound goes though, I never went in looking for a sound. I went in looking for a call to hit my ear. No matter if it was raspy, clear or whatever. I was looking for a call to impress me.

I feel if a judge goes in looking for a certain sound, they will pass over really strong calls because it is not of a certain sound. You MUST have an open mind going in to be 100% fair.

Patrick