OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old School Slate

Started by bobk, July 15, 2021, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobk

This caller is Slate / slate in a unstabilized buckeye burl pot with a Lilac striker built by Bill Lyman.
This caller has the true Old School State sound. It is amazing.  Thanks  Bill.

sbbow

Congrats on a great call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoors

Really nice.  Like to hear it
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

bear hunter

packmule

Very cool Bob.

Great work Bill.

3bailey3

Awesome caller, Congrats!

Greg Massey

Fine looking pot call...congrats

Beards and Hooks

That's a sweet looking pot.

Bedge7767

Jim

Zobo

That pot looks awesome, what is the old school state sound. Is that a lower pitched sound?
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

310 gauge

Very nice combo and coming from Bill you've scored a winner!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

grayfox

Really good looking call.

callmakerman

Quote from: Zobo on July 15, 2021, 10:21:44 PM
That pot looks awesome, what is the old school state sound. Is that a lower pitched sound?
First I'll say Bob and I PM'd back a forth early in the spring about an old school double slate . I gave my thoughts and he said that he would look for one when the turkey season's ended. In the mean time I had turned a few pots. Some glass and a few slates. Slate wise most were what we all hear today. A little high and raspy. But I had two that were in the buckeye shown and a hackberry that had that clear middle of the road  yelps with only a hint of rasp if you bare down on them. Break and rollover were spot on with nice clucks and purr's. This to me and Bob as well are what those of us who have been playing this game for many years remember running back in the day. This is the sound most every slate you could buy would sound like. Today every pot made for the most part has that glass call sound. Don't get me wrong as I really like a raspy slate but every now and then this old school combo puts something new out there sound wise that works well. I found that out this spring when I would hunt the old 2007 double slate made by Ralph Chandler. The birds loved it with the nicest clear yelps and clucks it would send out. Not saying this will be the only call in my vest as you never know what may work on a given day. Some times taking a step back isn't all that bad when it helps you get the positive results. Bob I'm glad this call as your wife said puts a smile on your face while running it. That for me means everything.

Sixes

Great looking call.

Buckeye burl is one of my favorite woods